Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, bjchinn15 said:

How much would Whitesox have to add for Abreu : Bellinger swap if we took on salary like Ryu, probably to much I imagine since I believe I read they wouldn’t trade him for Realmuto but just for fun speculation

A lot. I'd have said Kopech if he was healthy, so Cease? 

Please stop. If this team is not going to be competitive for a year, or two, why trade for Pederson, who has just 2 years left on his contract? If that is the next move, of this front office, then I will join those, who insist that they are totally inept. Joc made sense, if they had acquired Machado, and were attempting to make a run at the Division, this year. They might have had a chance, if they also signed one top of the rotation starter. However, under the circumstances, now facing this team, Pederson makes no sense.

Edited by Lillian

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It would totally fit with my hypothesis that the White Sox's offers for both of them were extreme lowballs that the White Sox thought were fair. 

I know you view everything White Sox related in negative/pessimistic lens, and right now, I've never been closer to doing the same. BUT....the Sox had the 2nd best offer on the table for Machado.  They beat 28 other teams.  Being runner up means nothing at the end of the day and I fully understand that, but I wouldn't exactly call their offer an " extreme lowball".  They offered one of the top 5 guaranteed money contracts in the history of the game with the chance to the be the highest with attainable vesting options, and additional incentives. They just overplayed their hand over the course of a multiple month process trying to get the best deal possible for the organization...and that may have ultimately caused Lazano do not give them the ability the counter the Padres offer.  

They fucked it right up, and I am the first to admit it.  But I don't think "extreme lowball" is fair characterization. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

A lot. I'd have said Kopech if he was healthy, so Cease? 

Kopech is someone I would consider but that is me being biased since he completely ignored me and my three year old asking for autograph while playing on Barons against Jumbo Shrimp here in Jacksonville; Kopech just seems like Hollywood AHole

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Please stop. If this team is not going to be competitive for a year, or two, why trade for Pederson, who has just 2 years left on his contract? If that is the next move, of this front office, then I will join those, who insist that they are totally inept.

It would fit timelines of when our prospects are ready to contribute 

Edited by bjchinn15

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I know you view everything White Sox related in negative/pessimistic lens, and right now, I've never been closer to doing the same. BUT....the Sox had the 2nd best offer on the table for Machado.  They beat 28 other teams.  Being runner up means nothing at the end of the day and I fully understand that, but I wouldn't exactly call their offer an " extreme lowball".  They offered one of the top 5 guaranteed money contracts in the history of the game with the chance to the be the highest with attainable vesting options, and additional incentives. They just overplayed their hand over the course of a multiple month process trying to get the best deal possible for the organization...and that may have ultimately caused Lazano do not give them the ability the counter the Padres offer.  

They fucked it right up, and I am the first to admit it.  But I don't think "extreme lowball" is fair characterization. 

I think they believed they were bidding against themselves when they went from $175 to $250 million and that they thought they were doing Machado a favor with each time they upped their bid. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think what gets lost in the White Sox offer is that it would have been the biggest contract in Chicago sports history. Bigger than the Cubs, Bulls, Bears..

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I think they believed they were bidding against themselves when they went from $175 to $250 million and that they thought they were doing Machado a favor with each time they upped their bid. 

Yah, I am not surprised you feel that way as it fits your narrative.  But the $175M was bullshit and the only people parroting it were Bruce Levine and Bob Nightengale.  Everyone else said it was bullshit, because it was.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bjchinn15 said:

It would fit timelines of when our prospects are ready to contribute 

Yes, your'e right. However, if they aren't going to compete now, the playing time should go to someone, who might be part of that anticipated window of contention. Moreover, L.A. wouldn't give him away, and likely the cost would be someone, whom we would be better off keeping, most likely a pitcher and we need all of those prospects.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

why? pederson > jay, palka, etc

Sure if you can get him for free. There just isn’t any motivation to sell off prospects for him. Even if it’s a low level guy because you don’t want to get burned on that one again. Like the player we will not name. 

10 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

why? pederson > jay, palka, etc

Because in this hypothetical both corners are manned for the foreseeable future. Pederson should not be an everyday center fielder, especially flanked by Harper and Eloy. I'm not giving up prospects for that. 

Edited by mqr

46 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The only thing that gives me pause is: If the Dodgers offered 10 years yesterday, I think it would have been a done deal.

Either that report is just BS or it’s a lowball offer in terms of AAV.

Eh, if all these 10 year offers came in recently, Boras is going to play them against each other to try raising the price.  

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm just so annoyed that these slow play tactics were proven to be the right move. 

To me the problem wasn't slow playing it, its the same issue phillies are having. The sox and phillies did not acknowledge or prioritize at all the value that the player believed they were. They only thought they should pay attention to what the market was willing to pay.

Other teams then said "hey we think you are worth x, we are going to offer you that", and when it aligned with the players own value they signed him.