Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

Apparently Phillies offered 270 10 years, heard on Mlb network radio by jim duquette

The same Jim Duquette that said Harper to Phillies is basically a done deal 🤣

It is uncanny how similar this whole ordeal is to the Machado signing. Let’s hope the sox can swoop in this time.

Edited by GermanSoxFan

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bogaerts is awesome and probably a guy we should prioritize unless Timmy has a breakout 2019 season.  Just not likely to happen with these clowns in charge unfortunately.

Not against this at all, merely pointing out how Machado’s rareity is why he is worth MORE than the 300 mil we weren’t willing to play. Also I see Bogaerts as he ages at 3b which could also suit our needs. 

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I still think if last call is March or it was in November, at least a couple of the teams would still have been involved.

For Bryce definitely. For Manny, not sure if Padres would have gotten involved.  Yankees likely would have been more aggressive.

8 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

If it’s all guaranteed money I wouldn’t be so down on this FO if that’s what we offer. If Harper gets more than that from someone else, so be it. 

I think that when he finally does sign, the deal will be more than we think the Sox should offer.  If he ends up signing for 10/$330 or less, that will be concerning...unless he takes less to play in LA.

If I had to guess, I like the Dodgers on like a $330M/14 year deal type structure that has been suggested.  Gets the AAV way down for luxury tax purposes.  Obviously the opposite of what we've heard that they're interested on a short-term basis only, but this solves their problem more than a short term deal does.

Then they just figure out how to rid themselves of him 6-8 years down the line in some salary dump deal. 

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

I think what gets lost in the White Sox offer is that it would have been the biggest contract in Chicago sports history. Bigger than the Cubs, Bulls, Bears..

And yet it wouldn’t even have been the biggest currently active contract in baseball. It wouldn’t have been the biggest currently active AAV in baseball. In a few days, it won’t even be the biggest contract or AAV in this current free agent period. 

Despite the fact that Machado was, considering age, premium position, and track record, the second best free agent in history, behind Alex Rodriguez. 

And the White Sox payroll commitments, I’m guessing, are by far the lowest of all the Chicago sports teams, at least in terms of rank in the league. Adjusted for era, they might even be the lowest in the history of the franchise.

If you’re going to contextualize an event, you have to look at all of it. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

29 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

And yet it wouldn’t even have been the biggest currently active contract in baseball. It wouldn’t have been the biggest currently active AAV in baseball. In a few days, it won’t even be the biggest contract or AAV in this current free agent period. 

Despite the fact that Machado was, considering age, premium position, and track record, the second best free agent in history, behind Alex Rodriguez. 

And the White Sox payroll commitments, I’m guessing, are by far the lowest of all the Chicago sports teams, at least in terms of rank in the league. Adjusted for era, they might even be the lowest in the history of the franchise.

If you’re going to contextualize an event, you have to look at all of it. 

The sox need to start raising their expectations. They grade themselves on a curve. You can do that if you were the yankees. When you've won 2 world series in 110 years? Nope.