Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Obviously they weren't a bargain Jack. It was the most money any team in MLB baseball was willing to give. That was the peak market for both 

Disagree completely. Peak market was 375 for Harper and 350 for Machado. I thought that each would be signing a deal over 350 going into the offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jesus they even got Boras to go along with no opt outs and a low luxury tax number.

They're going to go sign Keuchel or Kimbrel now since they minimized the tax dollar, they'd have been under the 2020 tax line but narrowly if they had allowed an opt out after year 3. They just made it so they can still add another player under the tax line. 

Yes because the Dodgers and giants were not actually in at a real number.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This makes it worse with the no opt outs. 13 years doesnt matter. 10 or 13 is all semantics. Anyone that believes the Dodgers offered 10 years now are smoking something good.

13 does matter. it takes the AAV from 33 mm to around 25mm. HUGE for luxury tax implications

1 minute ago, Tony said:

The AAV is fantastic. HATE the length. Would have been doing cartwheels if the Sox got Harper, but would hate to have him at age 39...

Obviously the present is always more fun than the past, but the next 8 years they can build a disgusting offense, in 2032 $25 mill for a player will be annoying but not destructive. And as always, no trade clauses and dollar amounts are bad in that they reduce your return, but they are not insurmountable.

• Like 1

He should have taken the reported 10 year 300 mil contract the nationals offered.  Then his 36-39 year seasons I'm sure he could get over 10 mil a season especially with inflation and how salaries continue to rise.  Boras has actually been getting his clients some shit deals by making them wait it out.  

And I completely agree I can't believe the Sox didn't even try.  10/300 with an opt out at year 5 would have been a much better contract than the one he signed.  

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No he doesnt.

Winning is all that matters in this game when it comes to generating revenue. Look at the rangers with a rod for proof. Or any other big contracts. They dont sell tickets unless the team is good.

How has the White Sox current approach worked for them? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Obviously they weren't a bargain Jack. It was the most money any team in MLB baseball was willing to give. That was the peak market for both 

When was the last time you saw young stars like Harper and Machado hit the open market? What did they sign for? Adjust it to 2019 money?

1 minute ago, Justinsettle said:

He should have taken the reported 10 year 300 mil contract the nationals offered.  Then his 36-39 year seasons I'm sure he could get over 10 mil a season especially with inflation and how salaries continue to rise.  Boras has actually been getting his clients some shit deals by making them wait it out.  

And I completely agree I can't believe the Sox didn't even try.  10/300 with an opt out at year 5 would have been a much better contract than the one he signed.  

There was 100 million in deferred money in that contract.  That drastically impacts the NPV.

Looking at how easy this deal was to match...jesus christ. This is almost worse than the Manny debacle. Manny got more money per year and an opt-out. We weren't even in the running in the end for Harper, who got no opt-out (what JR wants) and an AAV of only 26 million (5 mil less than what we offered Manny). I realize this contract is also 3-5 years longer than what they were willing to commit to Machado, but holy crap.