Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I still believe that the Sox were in "stealth mode" and were still in on Harper, but they failed, so it doesn't matter.

The fact is that he signed for $25 million AAV and no opt-outs. I have defended the front office for years, but they have beaten the optimism out of me this offseason. They are now on a GarPax level of incompetence. I hope they lose fans, and I wish I weren't so committed or else they'd be losing me too. 

If they thought they were still in this with a stealth sub 330 that would be even more pathetic. 

9 minutes ago, shipps said:

Finally over though. We knew what this org was when they failed with Machado so this was expected. Hahn is going to wear this for a long time. I’m not sure he will even want to show himself to the public for a while. Wait until next year soxfest 😂 there won’t be a sell out but the people there aren’t going to be happy go lucky. 

If the 2019 season turns out like the 2018 season I would like to think Hahn won't be at the next Soxfest simply because he will be in the unemployment line.

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

If the 2019 season turns out like the 2018 season I would like to think Hahn won't be at the next Soxfest simply because he will be in the unemployment line.

Keep dreaming as you write JR that letter dude. Hahn has a job for life.

1 minute ago, shipps said:

If they thought they were still in this with a stealth sub 330 that would be even more pathetic. 

The fact that they got into the Harper sweepstakes in the first place knowing that the asking price was 300+ (given what he turned down) is puzzling to begin with 

1 minute ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

I bet those Dodgers are still, "We got him right where we want him. He just loves those Lakers."

the dodgers have one of the deepest teams in baseball, one of the best and most productive pipelines of international free agency and dominate their division. I think they are doing fine.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Machado and Harper signed for $300m and $330m respectively, with one opt-out combined between them. Neither AAV sets a record.

And the White Sox didn’t get either of them.

The White Sox have a total of $15m committed to next year’s payroll. 

But they won't have any albatrosses on their payroll during Jerry's age 90-93 years.

Just now, Middle Buffalo said:

Yep. The Sox should have offered $330 over 10 years. I would have been fine with an opt out after 5 years. 

Unbelievable this Phillies offer got him.

Only unbelievable if you exclude the part where the White Sox's front office has people like Rick Hahn in it.

• Like 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

The fact that they got into the Harper sweepstakes in the first place knowing that the asking price was 300+ (given what he turned down) is puzzling to begin with 

The fact they even thought it was possible to get either player at what they were willing to pay was delusional. They should have STFU about it instead of making it so public if they were going to lowball them. They should have been the "mystery team" 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

the dodgers have one of the deepest teams in baseball, one of the best and most productive pipelines of international free agency and dominate their division. I think they are doing fine.

Yeah, I'm surprised the Dodgers got into this at all. Maybe just a "push the Phillies deal up and keep him away from the Giants on any kinda bargain deal" sorta thing. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

How are New York Yankees 3B Manny Machado, New York Yankees SP Patrick Corbin, and Philadelphia Phillies SP Patrick Corbin doing? 

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Don't talk about $25M AAV. The expected return in the final 3 years of the deal is basically $0. You have to evaluate the deal in terms of the total investment and the total production you expect over the life of the deal. It ends up being more about whether you think you can get $330 million of production in ~7 years. Maybe! You do get some upside in that if he is unusually long-lasting in terms of his performance, you can still capitalize in those later years. The benefit the Sox wouldn't get is luxury tax relief because we will never be close to it.

We don't know the structure of the deal. It could be a front loaded deal with the last 3 years paying him like $5 mil each, which would still achieve the same luxury tax effect.  Basically whatever Harper gives them from age 37-39 is gravy.