Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I really have never been anti-Jerry until Machado was lost, but looking at his franchises, it's really time for him to move on. Money is important to him. I don't blame him, it's important to me.  He doen's have the heart to fire anyone, even though they would be long gone with any successful franchise. But he can have all the money he will ever need or want to pass down if he realizes his way doesn't work anymore.  Take some pride in his almost 40 years of ownership with the Sox and Bulls, sell the teams, and take the money and run. Chicago deserves better. 

The sad thing is, this isn't just about making money. The White Sox could easily have afforded Machado or Harper with what they've already done. They could have cleared over $50 million in payroll this offseason if they were desperate to do so and it would have still made them better with one of these guys and probably more profitable thanks to the big name.

You may take your pick. This is about the Front Office staff being inept, or about JR refusing on principle to spend top dollar for individual players.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I really have never been anti-Jerry until Machado was lost, but looking at his franchises, it's really time for him to move on. Money is important to him. I don't blame him, it's important to me.  He doen's have the heart to fire anyone, even though they would be long gone with any successful franchise. But he can have all the money he will ever need or want to pass down if he realizes his way doesn't work anymore.  Take some pride in his almost 40 years of ownership with the Sox and Bulls, sell the teams, and take the money and run. Chicago deserves better. 

Yep he’s run both teams into the ground. They are so similar it’s crazy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Agree.  Or at least let Michael Reinsdorf take over Sox too.  We know he’s willing to “overpay” (LaVine and Jabari) for production/potential...sometimes it may end up working out (LaVine?) and others times not (Jabari).  But it’s bolder than the boulder that is JR.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Basically as a sox fan we have to hope that we get lucky. We won't out execute, we won't out spend, but...maybe we'll get lucky?

It’s more we have to hope that a franchise that can’t develop its own hitters needs to all of a sudden produce a playoff caliber offense without outside support?

Just now, fathom said:

It’s more we have to hope that a franchise that can’t develop its own hitters needs to all of a sudden produce a playoff caliber offense without outside support?

Some starting pitchers too cuz outside of Sale we really haven't done that either.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

oh another thing to add for the next time:

- not getting mad at national media for discounting the white sox chances of pulling off a dramatic free agent acquisition.

For all the talk the FO gave about wanting to destroy stigmas and create new narratives, they actually proved all the narratives to be true. 

• Like 1

In 2016 the Sox had a payroll of $145 mil, $105 in 2017 and $90 last year. What happened to the money that wasn't spent the last 2 years and what will happen with the money not spent this year?

Jerry doesn't seem to care about spending his money and doesn't look like he's willing to sell this team if he wasn't prepared to sign these guys. He wouldn't care if he signed players to 10-year deals if he had plans to sell the team. We are all stuck with this crap for a very long time.