Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, Balta1701 said:

God I genuinely don't know. 

Samardzija/LaRoche/Cabreroid/Robertson/Beckham/Bonifacio

Frazier/Latos/Rollins/Lawrie/Navarro/Jackson/Avila

Nova/Jay/Alonso/Santana/Herrera/Colome/McCann

I literally have no idea which of those is the worst. You can make a case for  any of them. This one isn't nearly as expensive as those debacles, we traded away more in those moves, and ugh.

I am going to do a dollar/WAR count up actually because I am intrigued by the answer so I will follow-up with it. At the very least the previous ones you mentioned had legitimate plus players in frazier and robertson.

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

I’m not mad at Rick or anyone.  Eloy is going to raaaaaaake

And they didn’t trade Sale for Moncada to just be ordinary. They need 3-4 quality starters, Eloy and Moncada to be stars...then they can supplement with really good free agents that actually want to be here. 

1 minute ago, flavum said:

And they didn’t trade Sale for Moncada to just be ordinary. They need 3-4 quality starters, Eloy and Moncada to be stars...then they can supplement with really good free agents that actually want to be here. 

If Moncada isn't a star, I don't know where they're going to get another one after Eloy. Hell I'm not even sure Eloy will be a star. You never know with this org. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am going to do a dollar/WAR count up actually because I am intrigued by the answer so I will follow-up with it. At the very least the previous ones you mentioned had legitimate plus players in frazier and robertson.

I think Colome + Nova last year is pretty close to the WAR from Frazier or Samardzija (remember for Samardzija there's that weird thing where in 2015 the defense was so bad that the algorithms couldn't figure out how to handle it, so for all the pitchers the rWAR and fWAR are very different).

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just remember - Rick Hahn's job is to work with ownership, not follow edicts from ownership. It should be a partnership, if it isn't, then Rick Hahn is doing a terrible job. .If Rick Hahn receives an edict saying he can't go past $250 million guaranteed to Machado, Rick Hahn's job is to find the money to do so. Sign Shields instead of Nova, let Abreu walk and move Davidson to 1b, skip Machado's buddies and play Engel and Palka, and you've saved the $50 million difference in literally 1 year. Maybe ownership doesn't want to let Abreu go...but you make it clear that's how important Machado is, that you're willing to do that set of moves, and you get ownership on board like a quality GM. 

Idk if anyone alive could convince JR to spend 300 million.

11 minutes ago, Baron said:

Here's the thing about the Bulls. I hate Gar Foreman and Paxson. But they have a good core of players. Lavine,Lauri,Carter and Porter is enticing to play with. Not to mention they'll have a high draft pick this year. They haven't been able to pull off free agency. But their rebuild looks good. I have no idea what the hell is going to happen here yet. 

Lol what? The bulls are terrible and have no talent. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Moncada isn't a star, I don't know where they're going to get another one after Eloy. Hell I'm not even sure Eloy will be a star. You never know with this org. 

That’s my fear too. Everything suggests Eloy will be an impact player, but this is the White Sox. Every plan we have moving forward is assuming he succeeds. The rebuild is dead otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just remember - Rick Hahn's job is to work with ownership, not follow edicts from ownership. It should be a partnership, if it isn't, then Rick Hahn is doing a terrible job. .If Rick Hahn receives an edict saying he can't go past $250 million guaranteed to Machado, Rick Hahn's job is to find the money to do so. Sign Shields instead of Nova, let Abreu walk and move Davidson to 1b, skip Machado's buddies and play Engel and Palka, and you've saved the $50 million difference in literally 1 year. Maybe ownership doesn't want to let Abreu go...but you make it clear that's how important Machado is, that you're willing to do that set of moves, and you get ownership on board like a quality GM. 

And this is exactly where/how Preller has beaten Hahn twice (especially convincing a cash-strapped organization and ownership group to dig DEEP into their pockets, so it wasn’t just Fowler he had to get on board)...no matter what arguments you make about how good or bad Preller is, those two players are totally turning the fortunes of two organizations in completely opposite directions.

Wouldn't even be surprised about all the stories surrounding Harper not caring much for Kapler at all.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I think Colome + Nova last year is pretty close to the WAR from Frazier or Samardzija (remember for Samardzija there's that weird thing where in 2015 the defense was so bad that the algorithms couldn't figure out how to handle it, so for all the pitchers the rWAR and fWAR are very different).

but colome has been inconsistent and he is paid well for it, and nova is moving to the AL and can't get lefty hitters out (they torched him). 

It will be an interesting and fun exercise. 

If Jerry is going to be cheap, then find a GM that is creative and good at identifying talent. For Hahn to pay so much this offseason for mediocre talent just continues to show he shouldn’t keep his position.  If you tried to purposely mess up an offseason, I’m still not sure you could do worse than he has.

• Like 2

I think deep down, all of us knew how this was going to go. We bought it.

I have a small partial season ticket plan. I was going to blow it off in 2019. In fact, I missed the deadline for the first payment and assumed I was out. Then right around the end of the Winter Meetings I received an email stating I still have a shot. So I figured hey, they have a shot. But deep down I knew. It will not happen again. They got a cheap 2 seat plan out of their BS. I would imagine I wasn't the only sucker. 

At least they should be a little better than last year, and there is Eloy. That poor guy is going to have the weight of the White Sox on his shoulders. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

That’s my fear too. Everything suggests Eloy will be an impact player, but this is the White Sox. Every plan we have moving forward is assuming he succeeds. The rebuild is dead otherwise.

The other part of the plan moving forward literally requires the pitching staff to develop into an elite unit. They acquired a ton of starting pitchers. They acquired a ton of relievers. They acquired so many that, prior to the appearance of Eloy, people were asking if that was all they were going to acquire. That pitching staff has to develop into an elite unit - if it doesn't, then since they won't pay for premium offensive players, then this team will go no where. 

Just now, fathom said:

If Jerry is going to be cheap, then find a GM that is creative and good at identifying talent. For Hahn to pay so much this offseason for mediocre talent just continues to show he shouldn’t keep his position.  If you tried to purposely mess up an offseason, I’m still not sure you could do worse than he has.

so much this. The sox realistic payroll is 120 million. You can argue it should be higher, but lets say this is it. 

You mean to tell me if you hired a bunch of rays guys to take over they couldn't compete and win the division most years? 

As much as a 220 mill payroll would be fun, you don't need that to make the playoffs. Its helpful to win multiple world series, but the sox should at least be able to compete in this dreadful division year after year.

Every one has praised Hahn for the past couple years for having such a stellar farm system. Not sure where that leaves me with his ineptitude. He’s bad but I don’t know if his awfulness is to the degree that it feels right now.