Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, shipps said:

Every one has praised Hahn for the past couple years for having such a stellar farm system. Not sure where that leaves me with his ineptitude. He’s bad but I don’t know if his awfulness is to the degree that it feels right now. 

How much more awful can you get than never winning more than 78 games

Just now, shipps said:

Every one has praised Hahn for the past couple years for having such a stellar farm system. Not sure where that leaves me with his ineptitude. He’s bad but I don’t know if his awfulness is to the degree that it feels right now. 

My great grandmother could have built a great farm system with the tradeable assets he had.  He’s done one thing good in his career, and that was contract extensions. Everything else has been comically bad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

so much this. The sox realistic payroll is 120 million. You can argue it should be higher, but lets say this is it. 

You mean to tell me if you hired a bunch of rays guys to take over they couldn't compete and win the division most years? 

As much as a 220 mill payroll would be fun, you don't need that to make the playoffs. Its helpful to win multiple world series, but the sox should at least be able to compete in this dreadful division year after year.

Billy Beane still competes every 3-4 years in Oakland, too.  Best team in baseball coming down the stretch in 2014.  Biggest surprise last year.  Worst stadium in baseball, other than TB, arguably.

I think we need to start a GoFundMe to raise money for a new GM....all the money that was going to go to tickets/parking/concessions.

Im not going to cancel my Mlb.tv package, but my only purchase this season will be SFG tickets.  No money goes to the Bozo Show Clown Car led by KW and Hahn.

Are 1 year of NOVA and 2 years of Colome really the best use of $20+ Million, 1 prospect and a young catcher who could hit?

I fully expect Hahn to do what he did last time: pursue slightly above average players in trade  who have 1-2 years left before free agency.   Last time it didn't help a lick; it won't help this time either, but it could harm - much better chance of giving up prospects who turn into players this time.  
He is the GM and based on his actions, that's how he thinks teams should be built.

12 minutes ago, flavum said:

And they didn’t trade Sale for Moncada to just be ordinary. They need 3-4 quality starters, Eloy and Moncada to be stars...then they can supplement with really good free agents that actually want to be here. 

Agree with this. So many people are acting like it will be a success if Moncada puts up a .775 OPS with decent D for a couple of seasons. We traded Chris Sale for this guy- he needs to be Robinson Cano and we need to hit on Kopech or Basabe as well.

As pissed as people are at the FO, they need to realize that a lot of our fans have pretty low expectations themselves. Glad the knives are out after the whale failure, but they should have been out after seeing the horridity of some of our prize prospects last year.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

Down to #4 at MLB Pipeline, before the Basabe, Dunning and Hansen injuries...Dunning was #6.

Just now, shipps said:

Never winning more than 78 games and having a bad farm system. 

I don't think he deserves credit for coverting on the heavy surplus talent he couldn't do anything with. They're farm system still pretty much sucks other than guys they've acquired  in those trades.

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Agree with this. So many people are acting like it will be a success if Moncada puts up a .775 OPS with decent D for a couple of seasons. We traded Chris Sale for this guy- he needs to be Robinson Cano and we need to hit on Kopech or Basabe as well.

As pissed as people are at the FO, they need to realize that a lot of our fans have pretty low expectations themselves. Glad the knives are out after the whale failure, but they should have been out after seeing the horridity of some of our prize prospects last year.

It’s not like Devers instead of Moncada would have worked out great, either.  He’s pretty one dimensional.  Red Sox definitely knew what they had in Benintendi though, getting him was never going to happen.  Should have just taken him straight up, the way things look to be working out with that particular trade.

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I don't think he deserves credit for coverting on the heavy surplus talent he couldn't do anything with. They're farm system still pretty much sucks other than guys they've acquired  in those trades.

He won the Robert sweepstakes? His drafting since the rebuild seems promising but it’s early. 

Im not defending him! 😂 

7 minutes ago, shipps said:

You guys ain’t gonna sucker me into sticking up for Hahn 😂 

im just saying, he’s been praised for a while now. After these two failures he has become the worst ever. 

I'll stick up for Hahn because the only thing I can KNOW we can blame him for is trades, and extensions. And he's been very good in those areas. It's possible and likely that Jerry has completely handcuffed him in terms of spending big money.

Just now, almagest said:

Not Shack's fault dude. He can only tell us what he's heard. Place the blame on the organization where it belongs.

I'm not at all! I truly enjoy his content (for TLS) and I know he said he's reserving his judgement for after the Harper saga is over.

The door open was a small dig, no malice here.

1 minute ago, almagest said:

Not Shack's fault dude. He can only tell us what he's heard. Place the blame on the organization where it belongs.

There has been a lot that shack has said on the board and privately that was dead on.  He never once said it was a done deal for the Sox.

4 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'll stick up for Hahn because the only thing I can KNOW we can blame him for is trades, and extensions. And he's been very good in those areas. It's possible and likely that Jerry has completely handcuffed him in terms of spending big money.

Is he not responsible for letting flowers walk and replacing him with nothing but garbage? Or not knowing James Shields stinks? Or trading a solid SS for a bum pitcher? Everything he did when this team was trying to compete was horrible. 

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, almagest said:

Well....except he didn't tell us shit. He was just being incredibly vague and coy about it. Would have preferred he just said nothing, instead of stirring everyone up and then never explaining any further.

• Like 1