Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I was going off the words you said. You're sticking up for him because you are unsure what he can judged on, outside of trades (and extensions, which doesn't make sense because that would also include Jerry and ownership.) 

Rick Hahn took over as GM in 2013, but has been with the organization for almost two decades. 

2013: 66-99

2014: 73-89

2015: 76-86

2016: 78-84

2017: 67-95

2018: 62-100

How long is Rick get a pass because of ownership? When is he responsible for constructing a team within a certain budget? Teams do it every year, and to great success. 

What makes this even worse is that 2013, 2015 and 2016 were years in which they were going for it.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

The second worst part about this offseason being a massive failure is the Sox have 100% reinforced Balta's constantly negative thoughts and he will be certain to remind us 100x per day for the rest of eternity. 

Welp.  

you could also just not internalize all criticism as "negativity".

1 minute ago, bmags said:

At least we don't have to read about whales on here for a while.

Next year...it will arguably be only Sale, Cole and maybe Verlander (who wouldn’t go to a rebuilding team for even $40 million on a one year deal) that are the whales.

Should be fun talking about all the reasons he wouldn’t come back, how another player (like Fisk) who spent less time with Boston goes into the HoF with a Red Sox cap, Jersey Gate, Drake Gate...and how soon after signing before he completely breaks down physically.

• Love 1

Just now, pcq said:

Were people actually expecting Harper might sign with the Sox? Sounded pretty remote after the MM signing.

A handful of people had hope, one or two people kept saying they were "heading towards the open door" or "under the radar", but yeah it was always remote.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Next year...it will arguably be only Sale, Cole and maybe Verlander (who wouldn’t go to a rebuilding team for even $40 million on a one year deal) that are the whales.

Should be fun talking about all the reasons he wouldn’t come back, how another player (like Fisk) who spent less time with Boston goes into the HoF with a Red Sox cap, Jersey Gate, Drake Gate...and how soon after signing before he completely breaks down physically.

There are players that I love in next years class but mostly think the best fit is castellanos and a pitcher.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

you could also just not internalize all criticism as "negativity".

This is very true. We aren't going to speak like unicorns farting rainbows constantly. 

My timeline: 

2015-11/2016: Extremely skeptical

2/2017: Less skeptical

8/2017-8/2018: Cautiously optimistic

9/2018-1/2019: On the fence

Now: Extremely skeptical again

They fooled me completely. You know the saying. I won't get fooled again. I had distrust in their ability to identify talent in 2016 and they've done nothing to prove that notion incorrect since. I must operate under the assumption of incompetence until proven otherwise. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I mean I wasn't expecting it, but seeing the contract he got made me very mad

Both of them. The fact they weren't willing to go to that point for either player is infuriating. They lied to the fans faces. Those contracts are bargains for those players. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I mean if you really think next year's free agent class isnt weak then I don't know how to help you 

It's definitely not weak, and you're the only person I've seen characterize it as such. If you are classifying "weak" as not having 2 26-year-old superstars, then my guess is you've never been impressed with free agency before.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

There are players that I love in next years class but mostly think the best fit is castellanos and a pitcher.

Did you figure into this how much worse Castellanos’ numbers look without feasting on White Sox pitching?

I’m dying on Puig Hill, of course.  Others will pick Ozuna, probably.  The final group will assert we already have five decent prospects for RF, why bother spending $14-18 million per season for a slight upgrade over their expected level of production?

30 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I didn't get the game last year and definitely not this year. Not enough changes in sports games/lack of time for games in general makes it a no-brainer to avoid it this year. Tap Baseball on the phone for another year will have to do to get my fix in.

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

It's definitely not weak, and you're the only person I've seen characterize it as such. If you are classifying "weak" as not having 2 26-year-old superstars, then my guess is you've never been impressed with free agency before.

Weak or strong, regardless, we’re not going to attract anyone of premier ability unless the creaking rebuild actually gets going in a positive direction after stalling out.

For next year's free agent class, I kind of expect Rendon and Goldschmidt to extend before free agency. Possibly one of the starters too (probably Sale: already talked extension, his wife loves Boston as he said at the time of the trade that it's the only visiting city she went to, he's a winner there, etc).

Edited by soxfan2014

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is very true. We aren't going to speak like unicorns farting rainbows constantly. 

My timeline: 

2015-11/2016: Extremely skeptical

2/2017: Less skeptical

8/2017-8/2018: Cautiously optimistic

9/2018-1/2019: On the fence

Now: Extremely skeptical again

They fooled me completely. You know the saying. I won't get fooled again. I had distrust in their ability to identify talent in 2016 and they've done nothing to prove that notion incorrect since. I must operate under the assumption of incompetence until proven otherwise. 

Sounds like a familiar rock ballad...

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

For next year's free agent class, I kind of expect Rendon and Goldschmidt to extend before free agency. Possibly one of the starters too (probably Sale: already talked extension, his wife loves Boston, he's a winner there, etc).

I think Sale will hit the open market because they have to make a choice between him and Bogaerts. I believe they choose Bogaerts, unless Sale is willing to sign and Bogaerts is hellbent on testing the market. 

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Considering where they fit with the white sox, yes it is weak. I've seen many people on here and twitter who have said as much. I know you replied to write sox, Joe. Look at the other replies to that tweet then get back to me 

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Had Rick Hahn done his job y'all could have taunted me. Hold that against him.

I am no longer a Rick apologist, but I put far more blame on ownership than management when it comes to writing never-before-seen check sizes. 

2 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Considering where they fit with the white sox, yes it is weak. I've seen many people on here and twitter who have said as much. I know you replied to write sox, Joe. Look at the other replies to that tweet then get back to me 

Saying the Free Agent class is WEAK and saying that you don't think the Sox are going to target all the top end talent are not the same things.

If Anderson continues to just be ok in 2019, then I have no issues with them going after Bogaerts and either moving Timmy to CF or trading him.

• Haha 1

I have no interest in thinking about, or discussing "next year's free agents". That now seems like an exercise in futility. It might be a better use of our time and intellectual energy, to think of ways to register our displeasure with this off season. I suggest that we try to come up with civil, yet stinging, poignent messages, to be posted on Twitter and other message boards, as well as signs, at the Ball Park. Ownership and management need to know how we feel and why. This is not simply about  disappointment. We Sox fans are quite used to that. This is about having been mislead.  

• Like 3