Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

32 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I would but I made a vow to not attend any games this year. I will boo at spring training

I called the team and told them those 24 games I went to last year will be 0. I said I'd be at Wrigley more this season and hung up. The Joy's of a Cubs fan SO. I even talked them into watching several Sox games live. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Saying the Free Agent class is WEAK and saying that you don't think the Sox are going to target all the top end talent are not the same things.

If Anderson continues to just be ok in 2019, then I have no issues with them going after Bogaerts and either moving Timmy to CF or trading him.

It's a weak free agent class AND the sox aren't gonna target the top end talent

Why didn't they just say this was not the time to spend or something like that when free agency started.  If they wanted to work under the radar then fine.  Did they really think just being at the table was going to satisfy Sox fans?  And that unprecedented financial flexibility nonsense was clearly just bullshit!!

Just now, wegner said:

Why didn't they just say this was not the time to spend or something like that when free agency started.  If they wanted to work under the radar then fine.  Did they really think just being at the table was going to satisfy Sox fans?  And that unprecedented financial flexibility nonsense was clearly just bullshit!!

They wanted to sucker us into excitement and buying tickets. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, wegner said:

Not gonna help the walk up sales.  What are they gonna get, like 20 a game?  50 on free tshirt Thursdays?

1. Maybe they're dumb enough to believe that. I dunno, they're pretty dumb.

2.  Personally, I think they just were dumb enough to believe that these guys would only take $200 million deals and anything beyond that was bidding against themselves, so they were cocky and thought this would be easy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

1. Maybe they're dumb enough to believe that. I dunno, they're pretty dumb.

2.  Personally, I think they just were dumb enough to believe that these guys would only take $200 million deals and anything beyond that was bidding against themselves, so they were cocky and thought this would be easy.

It's like bargain shopping at Tiffany's.  What's the point.  

"Got anything for $25?"  

"We can sell you a blue box then you can put the necklace you purchased from JC Penneys in there"

The White Sox plan to sign a premium free agent, was a blueprint of their plans when trying to build a contender in recent years. If everything went right, all the big spenders sit out, everyone lowballs, they get their guy. If what the smart money says what should happen, happens, like someone paying market rate,they are looking in from the outside.

Edited by Dick Allen

19 minutes ago, wegner said:

This is a great great post, wegner. Here's my theory. The White Sox only have a core group of diehard fans who would be furious at the lie that they truly were pursuing Manny and Harper. Most of the casual fans don't follow this on Twitter, etc. They probably heard we had a shot at some free agents but truly didn't follow it 24/7, more like maybe thought about it one day a week max. The Sox front office ran the charade all winter that they truly were in the hunt for these guys but their actions ultimately showed they had no intention of paying what it would take to get Manny/Harper. Now the diehard fans who use message boards see through their lies, but so what? The Sox brass figure 50 to 60 percent of the diehards will still go to games while most of the fan base will do what they always do: Go to some games if the team is good. Go to fewer if the team reeks again. Personally I am shocked at the Sox flat out lying about their pursuit of free agents (not mad because I didn't really want either player). Jerry obviously had no intention to allocate that kind of money to 1 or 2 players. No way. So he will count his dollars during another year of the tank/rebuild. Great post Wegner, you are my kind of fan! Perceptive on your part IMO.

Edited by greg775

9 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Bryce gets a crazy deal with the Phils. @ron883 gets called out, @Look at Ray Ray Run with his usual holier than thou posts, and Sox fans freaking out about something that was never gonna happen. Great day all around. 

What about my posts are holier than thou? Because I'm not upset with the loss of Harper when we were never getting him to begin with.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I really want to see some accountability here. There must be ways for the front office and ownership to pay a price for this inexcusable fiasco. Not buying tickets is not enough. They should understand why.

Sox fans havent bought tickets for decades which had helped lead us here. If we were selling 3 million+ tickets a year Sox would be top 5 spenders. 

Sox fans dont spend or support the team unless they're really good. 

I do wish there was a way to hold them accountable for the manny stuff but there just isnt. 

I always say... I'm not gonna let someone elses stupidity change me from doing things I enjoy. I love baseball and the white Sox. Jerry's stupidity and cheapness arent going to ruin that for me.

• Haha 1

This might deserve it's own thread.

EDIT: Quick takeaways, Sox were out on Harper because they knew it would take longer commitment than they were willing to give Machado.

Stars absolutely want to come play for Sox, it was expressed so at the meetings, however Sox weren't able to afford.

PUKE.

Edited by justBLAZE