Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Ken just shut the f up and go away. You are a failure and a disaster. ‘05 Sox=lightning in a bottle. There’s been no sustained success whatsoever in this organization, Which by the way is located in a major market. It is an embarrassing failure. You and the rest of the front office are a complete and utter embarrassment and failure. You should be ashamed. If you worked for a boss that held anyone accountable whatsoever, your ass would have been out many moons ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

This might deserve it's own thread.

EDIT: Quick takeaways, Sox were out on Harper because they knew it would take longer commitment than they were willing to give Machado.

Stars absolutely want to come play for Sox, it was expressed so at the meetings, however Sox weren't able to afford.

PUKE.

Sorry, I started a thread for this before checking this one.

7 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

This might deserve it's own thread.

EDIT: Quick takeaways, Sox were out on Harper because they knew it would take longer commitment than they were willing to give Machado.

Stars absolutely want to come play for Sox, it was expressed so at the meetings, however Sox weren't able to afford.

PUKE.

If you need a reason to get angrier, read this article

• Like 1

“People are lost on the fact that on a yearly basis our offer was more than San Diego’s. The average annual value was 31 [million] and change. So it was about years guaranteed. So there is an argument that could be made that our offer was the better of the two. It certainly had more upside for him. All he had to do was basically stay healthy.’’ "

They are fucking delusional. They are not only incompetent, they have fucking delusions of grandeur.

Cleveland Browns fans have the right to laugh at the Sox.

• Like 2

It's honestly remarkable how stupid Kenny is:

“Whomever you’re speaking of, there is nothing I can say that will make them feel better,’’ Williams said. “Rest assured that no one is feeling what Rick and I are feeling because every single day since June of last year, this is what we had planned for, the pursuit of both Harper and Machado. Harper [was] well out of our range. With Machado we extended ourselves as far as we could without jeopardizing what we’re going to need to do in the future.

So, you were planning this pursuit every day since June of last year, but throughout that process you didn't plan that the players would get... you know... 300 million? How stupid can you be to investigate the situation as thoroughly as they claim and yet, here we are... shocked at the contract being signed.

This moron's insistence on saying they aren't cheap... and his insistence on blaming future contracts for players who literally haven't even made it to the big leagues is laughable. He's now blaming the rebuild guys for not spending money, when the rebuilt to save money for this exact moment to sign the marquee star. This type of mumble jumble is just obnoxious and ignorant to the point that I didn't even think Kenny WIlliams would go. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is a great great post, wegner. Here's my theory. The White Sox only have a core group of diehard fans who would be furious at the lie that they truly were pursuing Manny and Harper. Most of the casual fans don't follow this on Twitter, etc. They probably heard we had a shot at some free agents but truly didn't follow it 24/7, more like maybe thought about it one day a week max. The Sox front office ran the charade all winter that they truly were in the hunt for these guys but their actions ultimately showed they had no intention of paying what it would take to get Manny/Harper. Now the diehard fans who use message boards see through their lies, but so what? The Sox brass figure 50 to 60 percent of the diehards will still go to games while most of the fan base will do what they always do: Go to some games if the team is good. Go to fewer if the team reeks again. Personally I am shocked at the Sox flat out lying about their pursuit of free agents (not mad because I didn't really want either player). Jerry obviously had no intention to allocate that kind of money to 1 or 2 players. No way. So he will count his dollars during another year of the tank/rebuild. Great post Wegner, you are my kind of fan! Perceptive on your part IMO.

Thanks Greg.  I am very happy to have this site as a refuge for those diehard fans you spoke about.  Your theory seems dead on to me, unfortunately.  I personally would have loved to see Harper in that lineup.  I always thought just give him an opt out after 4 years.  They do have the money to spend now and I am sure he would take the opt out so we would have a marketable superstar while we are rebuilding and hopefully for a couple of years of contention.  But alas, it was not meant to be.

Still puzzled about Alonso and Jay though.  That friends and family plan was pretty boneheaded.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fathom said:

I would rather have Avi than anyone they’ve signed this offseason

Hah ! I tried for years to get Avi some love. Little did I know that all it would take is business as usual for the Sox signing free agents and for him to be gone for him to get it. Holy moly 6 likes !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's honestly remarkable how stupid Kenny is:

“Whomever you’re speaking of, there is nothing I can say that will make them feel better,’’ Williams said. “Rest assured that no one is feeling what Rick and I are feeling because every single day since June of last year, this is what we had planned for, the pursuit of both Harper and Machado. Harper [was] well out of our range. With Machado we extended ourselves as far as we could without jeopardizing what we’re going to need to do in the future.

So, you were planning this pursuit every day since June of last year, but throughout that process you didn't plan that the players would get... you know... 300 million? How stupid can you be to investigate the situation as thoroughly as they claim and yet, here we are... shocked at the contract being signed.

This moron's insistence on saying they aren't cheap... and his insistence on blaming future contracts for players who literally haven't even made it to the big leagues is laughable. He's now blaming the rebuild guys for not spending money, when the rebuilt to save money for this exact moment to sign the marquee star. This type of mumble jumble is just obnoxious and ignorant to the point that I didn't even think Kenny WIlliams would go. 

It’s arrogance. Plain and simple, and we’ve always known he was, but especially now it is really showing through.

Edited by AJ123

What difference does the number of years make, if it's the same money. If the player doesn't fit, after the number of years, for which you have signed him, trade him, DFA him. It was the money and everyone always knew that it was going to take over $300 million. Someone needs to be fired, but then that well never happen. What a joke.

Edited by Lillian

15 minutes ago, wegner said:

Thanks Greg.  I am very happy to have this site as a refuge for those diehard fans you spoke about.  Your theory seems dead on to me, unfortunately.  I personally would have loved to see Harper in that lineup.  I always thought just give him an opt out after 4 years.  They do have the money to spend now and I am sure he would take the opt out so we would have a marketable superstar while we are rebuilding and hopefully for a couple of years of contention.  But alas, it was not meant to be.

Still puzzled about Alonso and Jay though.  That friends and family plan was pretty boneheaded.

The friends thing is what doesn't jive with me the most of everything. It's the thing that bothers me the most. If you're going to be a penny pinching organization in regards to free agency, what the fuck are you doing wasting 13 million dollars on some guys to entice another player? Give that 13 million to him. How stupid can you be to do that? Amazing, honestly. 

The arrogance helped them sign season ticket packages - anyone that doesn't see that angle is just missing the boat. It was a bait and switch move, imo, and unacceptable. 

I'd have no issues if they didn't act like they were getting him - talking about planning for years to get Machado. 

PLEASE DON'T FORGET, THIS IS THE TEAM THAT WAS FLOATING THE IDEA OF TRADING ASSETS! TO HAVE MACHADO FOR ONE YEAR TO SELL HIM ON THE FRANCHISE. This team almost traded future assets to not even have the high offer on the table for the guy. That should have been a red flag to begin with, but I missed it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, fathom said:

Good god they get dumber and dumber with what they say as it goes along. It’s like they’re trying to get every last fan to stop caring.

No question about it. Just ridiculous. Bryce lower AAV also gives a team with no committed payroll a lot more flexibility near term to add other pieces needed. Just stupidity. #Jerrypleasesellnow

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Rick Hahn went whale hunting and all we got are Jon Jay and Yonder Alonso.

🤣

Ugh. I don't believe in booing athletes but I would be all for booing silently if that's possible.

56 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

If you need a reason to get angrier, read this article

It's all BS. I don't need to read another article to know they are full of shit. . They think their offer to Machado was better. After all according to Rosenthal all the incentives and vested options would make the contract worth $350M. SO which is it Hahn?KW/JR ? Can you afford $350M ? Or do you really know the chances of reaching those options and incentives was just a bullshit way to offer less and make it seem like more which anyone with half a brain could see through ?

Apply the same thing to Harper. How could be be out of your range when you offered $350M to Machado ?

• Thanks 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's all BS. I don't need to read another article to know they are full of shit. . They think their offer to Machado was better. After all according to Rosenthal all the incentives and vested options would make the contract worth $350M. SO which is it Hahn?KW/JR ? Can you afford $350M ? Or do you really know the chances of reaching those options and incentives was just a bullshit way to offer less and make it seem like more which anyone with half a brain could see through ?

Apply the same thing to Harper. How could be be out of your range when you offered $350M to Machado ?

A great question I wish one of the beat "journalists" would ask

The headline reads: "VP Ken Williams: It's shame if White Sox portrayed as cheap"

Yes it is a shame, a crying shame. The Sox are cheap. To a casual observer (me), it seems in retrospect we never tried to get Harper. As far as Manny, KW and Rick H deserve the fans' wrath, because signing Alonso and Jay told us one thing: The Sox DAMN WELL WERE GONNA sign Manny. To me, that's really all they did creative to try to sign Manny. They certainly didn't throw enough money around.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

Welp at least my post count went up by 600 this offseason. What a fool I am to have this much faith in the front office

Ah, the true scheme is revealed...I have figured it out...Rick Hahn is one of the admins here..."Now how can I drive up the post counts and pull some in some of those long time lurkers?"...Damnit Rick, you pulled me in!!!