Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, KiwiSox said:

Think of it this way: if the Red Sox looked at Moncada and thought they couldn't develop his potential what on earth would give you any hope he even stays above water under the tutelage of the White Sox?

If I were the Red Sox and I thought in 2020 that guy would be better than the next Robinson Cano, I'd still have given him up instantly for 3 years of Chris Sale with the roster they already had. Without hesitation.

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If I were the Red Sox and I thought in 2020 that guy would be better than the next Robinson Cano, I'd still have given him up instantly for 3 years of Chris Sale with the roster they already had. Without hesitation.

The Red Sox did hesitate to add other players though, and Hahn just kind of let them get away with that. That deal was at least one player short 

Moncada has actually looked great in ST so far...so this is weird to jump on him. If he can provide strong defensive value at 3rd as well....he could be a 2-3 WAR player for very cheap that allows us to grab a #1 or #2 starter next FA period. Pitching is what this team really needs above all. 

4 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Think of it this way: if the Red Sox looked at Moncada and thought they couldn't develop his potential what on earth would give you any hope he even stays above water under the tutelage of the White Sox?

How do you know they thought they couldn't develop his potential?  They wanted to win now, traded for a top 5 starter, and guess what?  They won now.  Moncada's future be damned.

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Moncada has actually looked great in ST so far...so this is weird to jump on him. If he can provide strong defensive value at 3rd as well....he could be a 2-3 WAR player for very cheap that allows us to grab a #1 or #2 starter next FA period. Pitching is what this team really needs above all. 

They are simply not going to spend in free agency. That has been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt with the way they wound up being total non factors in an offseason they hyped to the moon.

Just now, KiwiSox said:

They are simply not going to spend in free agency. That has been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt with the way they wound up being total non factors in an offseason they hyped to the moon.

They will have to as the next CBA will most definitely have a floor in it and with 21 million only on the books for 2021...it will happen. Will there be some very poorly thought out contracts...of course...but this team averages at least a 120mil payroll all the time and history since the WS win has been that they will pay. Hahn just needs to spend wisely, which is most definitely up for debate. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I don't think there ever was much talent with Moncada. He can't hit major league pitching. If there was ever a flaw you don't want a guy to have that's it. I don't see it getting better with him and I think the Red Sox knew it was a serious likelihood that his poor hitting skills won't kill him in the majors. The Sox had better deals on the table but their shitty scouting did the equivalent of googling "best mlb prospects 2016" then took the deal that looked best according to that.

The Eaton trade I grant a pass on, because Eaton was stupidly overrated. Even more stupidly overrated than the over hyped pitchers they got in that trade.

Your last two posts are "hot takes" on another level. Also, completely, irrefutably, false. I know it sucks we look like buffoons.. but let's not do the whole revisionist history thing.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

Your last two posts are "hot takes" on another level. Also, completely, irrefutably, false. I know it sucks we look like buffoons.. but let's not do the whole revisionist history thing.

How is it crazy to say a guy who can't hit the baseball may not be a good major leaguer while others breathlessly compare him to the likes of Mike Trout and Robinson Cano and nobody bats an eye.

I think you may be coping, my friend.

Edited by KiwiSox

Crazy, moncada can be awesome. The nice thing about a guy that talented is the margins matter. Does he have to become a 18% k rate guy to succeed? No. 

He hits the ball hard, if he gets the bat on the ball 2% more who knows what comes out of that. If he does that a few years and stabilizes at 25%, all those extra balls in play could mean knocking in more runs, being on base more, few more homers. 

Its frustrating watching players develop and not just be Acuna, but his talent is real.

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm thinking about going to the Ferrari dealership today with 10 grand in my pocket.  I think I'll post some Instagram pictures of myself swaggering in (#blessed), maybe buy me one of those Ferrari keychains just to show I'm serious.  Imagine that - little old me at the Ferrari dealership.  The salesman just called me sir!  It's anybody's guess how it will all go down, but when it's all said and done you can't deny I'm kind of a player.  I mean, here I am.

please vlog this and post it to @whitesox. 

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm thinking about going to the Ferrari dealership today with 10 grand in my pocket.  I think I'll post some Instagram pictures of myself swaggering in (#blessed), maybe buy me one of those Ferrari keychains just to show I'm serious.  Imagine that - little old me at the Ferrari dealership.  The salesman just called me sir!  It's anybody's guess how it will all go down, but when it's all said and done you can't deny I'm kind of a player.  I mean, here I am.

Make them a great offer. Like youll pay them $10,000 today and then if you drive the car for 100,000 miles this year youll give them $1mil.

I mean thats obviously a great deal for them, they could make $1mil!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Make them a great offer. Like youll pay them $10,000 today and then if you drive the car for 100,000 miles this year youll give them $1mil.

I mean thats obviously a great deal for them, they could make $1mil!

Yea I mean all the car has to do is basically stay healthy!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

How is it crazy to say a guy who can't hit the baseball may not be a good major leaguer while others breathlessly compare him to the likes of Mike Trout and Robinson Cano and nobody bats an eye.

I think you may be coping, my friend.

He was the #1 prospect in baseball. But your 20/20 hindsight is so much smarter I guess. Everybody saw his talent. But he came up and didn't perform the way people thought he would, in his first full season. 

But no, youre right. Nobody should have thought he was good.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

He was the #1 prospect in baseball. But your 20/20 hindsight is so much smarter I guess. Everybody saw his talent. But he came up and didn't perform the way people thought he would, in his first full season. 

But no, youre right. Nobody should have thought he was good.

I think you have to be legally blind or willfully ignorant to not see the potential there. 

Kiwi,

are you saying that Moncada isn’t oozing with special talent?  Are you saying that everybody had it wrong across baseball?

if that’s what you’re saying then say it.  

If instead you are frustrated about his first season, join the rest of us and see how just a few positive gains in a few areas makes him a 4 WAR player.  

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Tom Verducci let scott boras do a tick-tock article of the bryce free agency for him.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/03/01/bryce-harper-philadelphia-phillies-contract-scott-boras

I'll let you do a control-f for the white sox. 

“Bryce took less AAV. He took more years,” Boras said, comparing the deal to the Machado contract. “And we’re playing on a winning team. Bryce Harper wanted to play on a winning team now and one that has the revenues to sustain it. He got all those things. When Manny Machado is 35, let’s see if he gets those millions over the remaining three years. You’d better be a real good defensive player, too. I did it for [Adrian] Beltre.”

What an idiot, Doesn't he know KW and co. ALWAYS eventually get their man 😎

I love how the Phillies, who haven't had a winning season since 2011, are viewed as this big winning club, while the Padres, who haven't had a winning season since 2010, are viewed in the opposite way. Sure, the Phillies are better set up to win in 2019, but over the next decade or so, especially given how the NL East is shaping up, I think the teams will both be pretty good. 

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I bet you really clicked with that salesman too... until you told him you only had 10K. But I'm sure you can make a deal that will fill you with confidence about your chances to own one of those beauties.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I love how the Phillies, who haven't had a winning season since 2011, are viewed as this big winning club, while the Padres, who haven't had a winning season since 2010, are viewed in the opposite way. Sure, the Phillies are better set up to win in 2019, but over the next decade or so, especially given how the NL East is shaping up, I think the teams will both be pretty good. 

well that was a very good phillies team that was winding down after a world series and another berth. The padres that made it in 2010 I dont think I could name you a single player on. Probably Adrian Gonzalez? Chris Young the less famous one?

Phillies had a long slow expensive fall from 2012-15 but still had guys like hamels that you squinted and said maybe this expensive slow bad team will compete. 

Familiar in that way.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:58 PM, shipps said:

By July I will be all in on Bears news/talk. I will watch baseball games but they won’t necessarily be whitesox games. I will probably get more enjoyment of watching the teams I hate and rooting against them like the Cubs, if I am being honest. Pathetic I know. 

I was actually thinking of taking in a few of the Brewers games this summer. My living northwest makes it easier getting to Milwaukee than the southside.

Edited by Saufley
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I was actually thinking of taking in a few of the Brewers games this summer. My living northwest makes it is easier getting to Milwaukee than the southside.

Plus, you never have to worry about sitting out in the cold or rain delays. You can go to a game at the end of March or early April and it will be nice inside.

• Like 1