Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

I was expecting all along that Harper would get 10/330 so the market was a little soft. I wonder if the Sox had a serious thought about making that offer. Boras feels that half the teams are not playing fair so you know he will be agitating for new rules.  Maybe lop off a year of service time and get players to the MLB market sooner. The problem of keeping guys in the minors when they are ready is a tough issue. 

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

I was expecting all along that Harper would get 10/330 so the market was a little soft. I wonder if the Sox had a serious thought about making that offer. Boras feels that half the teams are not playing fair so you know he will be agitating for new rules.  Maybe lop off a year of service time and get players to the MLB market sooner. The problem of keeping guys in the minors when they are ready is a tough issue. 

I think the White Sox made their presentation, sometime in December put an offer on the table that was far below the one he rejected from the Nats, which probably led to it being regarded as almost disrespectful by Boras, and Boras said don't bother until your offer is competitive, leading to the reports in mid-February that the Sox hadn't talked to Boras in "weeks". 

Listening to Levine's show right now, he's STILL saying the Cubs were "rumored to be in" on Harper until the end.  Is Bruce a cat named Charles?  What legit source has said ANYTHING regarding Harper and the Cubs since fricken October?

Edited by bschmaranz

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

Listening to Levine's show right now, he's STILL saying the Cubs were "rumored to be in" on Harper until the end.  Is Bruce a cat named Charles?  What legit source has said ANYTHING regarding Harper and the Cubs since fricken October?

Maybe at the same level as the Sox.  In on him but not offering enough money so there was no realistic chance of it happening anyways.

8 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

What's this? Looks like Harper ALREADY paid for himself for this season and probably the next one (add concessions, merchandise, tv viewers, and parking).

Except that merchandise is distributed league wide, and TV contracts are already locked on.

180,000 tickets is about 3-4 million dollars.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Except that merchandise is distributed league wide, and TV contracts are already locked on.

180,000 tickets is about 3-4 million dollars.

The Phillies average ticket price is just under $40. Maybe all the tickets sold are upper deck, but probably pretty close to an average sampling. That's most likely something like $7 million.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Phillies average ticket price is just under $40. Maybe all the tickets sold are upper deck, but probably pretty close to an average sampling. That's most likely something like $7 million.

Yeah, I was using the assumption that individual ticket purchases like that aren't frequently made for the nicer seats. Either that, or I'm just used to showing up on game day and buying a first row ticket for $75 because that's the greatness of being a Sox fan.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And let’s not ignore each fan attending a game probably spends a good 50 cents to a dollar on concessions, parking, etc. for each dollar spent on tickets.  That could take the value of those ticket sales up to $10M to $14M.  

Harper’s star power would have paid for a good chunk of his contract with the Sox, but unfortunately our leadership has the business acumen of a toddler.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And let’s not ignore each fan attending a game probably spends a good 50 cents to a dollar on concessions, parking, etc. for each dollar spent on tickets.  That could take the value of those ticket sales up to $10M to $14M.  

Harper’s star power would have paid for a good chunk of his contract with the Sox, but unfortunately our leadership has the business acumen of a toddler.

And if the Phillies can make a playoff push, well that pays for like the first 2 years.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

thats just in a few days, imagine if the Phillies break out this season? We are talking sellouts + increase in season ticket holders.

Nice work Jerry and co.

Just now, reiks12 said:

thats just in a few days, imagine if the Phillies break out this season? We are talking sellouts + increase in season ticket holders.

Nice work Jerry and co.

It could have been a game changer for the franchise, but unfortunately we didn’t make a bid after two years of planning.

50 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I was using the assumption that individual ticket purchases like that aren't frequently made for the nicer seats. Either that, or I'm just used to showing up on game day and buying a first row ticket for $75 because that's the greatness of being a Sox fan.

Or $7 upper deck ticket and sitting in first row lower level. That works too. Definitely great being a fan for when you do actually want to go.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

And if the Phillies can make a playoff push, well that pays for like the first 2 years.

You know the old saying, "to make money you have to spend money..." Obviously the White Sox haven't learned that axiom.