Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

10 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Sox are going to be very thankful they missed out on Harper.

On pace for about 4.5 fWAR, which is better than anybody we got not named Moncada.  His 30% K rate is concerning but you can see he's still found ways to contribute as he's been legit in RF and is adding some value on the bases as well.

He'll never live up to his contract but there are worse things than having a 4 WAR OF.  Would have fixed a big hole in RF for Chicago over the next 5-7 years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Sox are going to be very thankful they missed out on Harper.

Yes, his swing is another HR or K type of swing with low average. The walks he is getting may be because of the hype, pitchers are scared for no reason other than what they see on TV. Something happened after 2015, I dont think he will come close to replicating that season although he is being paid to replicate that season. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Don't want to re-open old wounds but Heyman was on the Score this morning and said the Sox got aggressive in their Harper pursuit after Machado signed and said they offered more money than they did Manny. They probably lost out on the years. 

Only problem was Philadelphia, like San Diego before them, was even more "aggressive" than the Sox.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

On pace for about 4.5 fWAR, which is better than anybody we got not named Moncada.  His 30% K rate is concerning but you can see he's still found ways to contribute as he's been legit in RF and is adding some value on the bases as well.

He'll never live up to his contract but there are worse things than having a 4 WAR OF.  Would have fixed a big hole in RF for Chicago over the next 5-7 years.

He's on pace for 3 WAR in rWAR and 6 WAR in fWAR because he grades out well defensively with fWAR and poorly defensively in rWAR. The point I'm making is offensively he's on pace for about 3 WAR which is all that matters with Harper. Defensive metrics are far too volatile to rely on them in a short sample - I'd argue 1 year of sample is too small.

So as of today, if this is Bryce Harper, the Sox will not regret missing out.

If peak Harper was an outlier and not a talent ceiling attainable going forward, then Bryce won't be worth his contract.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He's on pace for 3 WAR in rWAR and 6 WAR in fWAR because he grades out well defensively with fWAR and poorly defensively in rWAR. The point I'm making is offensively he's on pace for about 3 WAR which is all that matters with Harper. Defensive metrics are far too volatile to rely on them in a short sample - I'd argue 1 year of sample is too small.

So as of today, if this is Bryce Harper, the Sox will not regret missing out.

If peak Harper was an outlier and not a talent ceiling attainable going forward, then Bryce won't be worth his contract.

He's been outstanding in RF from all reports, making more than one game saving play.  I have no reason to discount his +3 runs in RF given to him by Fangraphs.  That said his true talent level is around 4 WAR (not 6) and no he won't live up to the contract.

But again who cares?  Signing Harper wouldn't have prevented any other move Chicago would make, not then, not now, not in the future.   The Sox are just cheap.

• Like 2

You can talk all you want about Harper and his WAR numbers and productivity and I get that.  But sometimes you do need to look at other things;  Harper is a superstar as far as marketing and he would have changed the perception of the White Sox around the league and around the country.  It was just a missed opportunity when they had money "that will be spent" to spend.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's been outstanding in RF from all reports, making more than one game saving play.  I have no reason to discount his +3 runs in RF given to him by Fangraphs.  That said his true talent level is around 4 WAR (not 6) and no he won't live up to the contract.

But again who cares?  Signing Harper wouldn't have prevented any other move Chicago would make, not then, not now, not in the future.   The Sox are just cheap.

I love these comments saying, “good thing we didn’t waste money on Harper/Machado.”

No, instead you get to see more of the same trash signings that Hahn brought in this past offseason.  Enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, wegner said:

You can talk all you want about Harper and his WAR numbers and productivity and I get that.  But sometimes you do need to look at other things;  Harper is a superstar as far as marketing and he would have changed the perception of the White Sox around the league and around the country.  It was just a missed opportunity when they had money "that will be spent" to spend.

How about sound baseball moves vs shooting for the moon just for the hype and selling tickets?   Which BTW knowing Sox fans, even with the hype of a Bryce Harper, there would still be an excuse on why not to purchase tickets.   

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I love these comments saying, “good thing we didn’t waste money on Harper/Machado.”

No, instead you get to see more of the same trash signings that Hahn brought in this past offseason.  Enjoy!

Harper/Machado was/is  not the endgame. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

How about sound baseball moves vs shooting for the moon just for the hype and selling tickets?   Which BTW knowing Sox fans, even with the hype of a Bryce Harper, there would still be an excuse on why not to purchase tickets.   

Signing either of Harper or Machado would habe been both a sound baseball move AND a shoot for the moon type of move for a superstar who could build hype and sell tickets.  

Edited by Fan O'Faust
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Neither was Alonso, Jay, Nova, Herrera, and Santana.  That’s over $31 million dollars essentially wasted right there.  Would’ve paid for one year of Harper at $25 million a year.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I don't think I've seen or read someone suggesting that either player would be the "end game" for the Sox.  Where are you getting that from?

What I have seen many astute posters at this site say on many occasions is that both players, at age 26 and both already All Stars, were available to our major market team, the White Sox, who with their current, astonishingly low payroll, and with no other big spenders in the competition, managed to fail to acquire either player.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Neither was Alonso, Jay, Nova, Herrera, and Santana.  That’s over $31 million dollars essentially wasted right there.  Would’ve paid for one year of Harper at $25 million a year.

Outside of Herrera, these are all one year roster fillers.   

Bad ones, I agree.  But not worth losing sleep over.  

Be mad not that Rick Hahn failed to get Machado or Harper in here, but that his veteran roster fill-in moves are complete horse shit.   Fill-in veterans will be important for this rebuild to eventually work come 2020 / 2021.   

24 minutes ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Signing either of Harper or Machado would habe been both a sound baseball move AND a shoot for the moon type of move for a superstar who could build hype and sell tickets.  

See, I disagree where paying one single player $300 million equates to being any sort of sound baseball move.   In fact, history has shown us sufficient proof of this. 

Especially for a franchise who counts every nickel and one bad contract to them is catastrophic.  

16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The money they gave those guys have nothing to do with the money they didn't give Machado or Harper. Still. 

Edited by mqr
  • Love 1

I knew we would get a "leak" like this about the Sox interest a few months after the dust settled on the offseason. I call BS on any legit Sox interest in Harper. JR and company never had any intention of signing Harper/Machado unless they could get a Black Friday discount on the contract. The way they slow played the whole Machado negotiations is proof of that. JR threw out a low offer bid and just waited and waited until it was topped. The Sox didn't even counter San Diego's offer. Instead they walked away from the table because they were never serious to begin with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

What you say is true but 13 years of Harper was not a good gamble IMO.

• Like 1

Look at the return on investment that Michael Brantley and Adam Jones are providing. Those would have been great signings, if you want to second guess the off season. I understand that they would not have been part of any long term plan, but those contracts have turned out to be very rewarding, so far. Oh well, Hahn did sign McCann, so I guess he deserves credit for that one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I wanted the Sox to sign Harper but he also appears to be fading. Can’t imagine what his and Machado’s contracts will look like in another 5 years...

An unknown, but there is a 100% guarantee the 2 or 3 washed up 33 year olds that the Harper/Manny money allows them to buy will be trash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jenksycat said:

An unknown, but there is a 100% guarantee the 2 or 3 washed up 33 year olds that the Harper/Manny money allows them to buy will be trash.

Personally, I’d rather they use it to extend Moncada and Robert than be tied up to 31/32 year old Machado and Harper for another 5-8 years.

• Haha 2