Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I will say this: Shack is getting his information from multiple solid places. You guys can believe whatever you want though obviously. The constant craving and whining for information throughout this process and then immediate reaction to tell people who actually have intel that they are full of shit is quite ridiculous. Shack shared with the board to keep people informed. I told him: fuck that board. The majority of the people posting there now don't deserve the information anyway. 

This place is tiresome. There are some things in this thread that could be debunked but I don't really have the patience for it. Everybody could be united in being extremely pissed ta this organization right now. Instead, some of us like to criticize others who have legit info and call them "insiders". It's pretty lame. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

I will say this: Shack is getting his information from multiple solid places. You guys can believe whatever you want though obviously. The constant craving and whining for information throughout this process and then immediate reaction to tell people who actually have intel that they are full of shit is quite ridiculous. Shack shared with the board to keep people informed. I told him: fuck that board. The majority of the people posting there now don't deserve the information anyway. 

This place is tiresome. There are some things in this thread that could be debunked but I don't really have the patience for it. Everybody could be united in being extremely pissed ta this organization right now. Instead, some of us like to criticize others who have legit info and call them "insiders". It's pretty lame. 

And now you are acting like an “insider” but are not sharing the information.  It’s the obscure manner that most of these so-called “insiders” release their information that makes most people dubious.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

And now you are acting like an “insider” but are not sharing the information.  It’s the obscure manner that most of these so-called “insiders” release their information that makes most people dubious.

I understand your frustration, but these people aren't complete rando's like JMR and peavy44 etc.

These are generally well respected members of this forum who are trusted to not be idiots who make stuff up for attention. Their behavior in not looking for attention speaks volumes. Then, when a bunch of pissed off people want to take their anger out on them, you think they should continue to explain themselves? These people wouldn't listen to them if they explained themselves anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

It's the pompousness of it. Like they are on some higher ground or something because they think they know something, that ultimately doesn't happen. Great, the Sox thought they were going to get Machado. It didn't take an insider to guess that. They didn't get him. There were more people on here who knew the whole story, and not one of them seemingly considered Machado would go elsewhere. i didn't see one insider even mention SD at a viable competitor. The Sox had to know they were at least a possibility. And why didn't anyone know $300 million was a dealbreaker?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

I don't believe it is the insiders that are incompetent.  It mostly seems like the FO.  I will gladly retract everything I have said about them if they sign Harper, but I see no reason to be optimistic about it, and I don't see much reason to give the FO the benefit of the doubt with what their track record.  

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's the pompousness of it. Like they are on some higher ground or something because they think they know something, that ultimately doesn't happen. Great, the Sox thought they were going to get Machado. It didn't take an insider to guess that. They didn't get him. There were more people on here who knew the whole story, and not one of them seemingly considered Machado would go elsewhere. i didn't see one insider even mention SD at a viable competitor. The Sox had to know they were at least a possibility. And why didn't anyone know $300 million was a dealbreaker?

I think the board insiders are presenting the information they know from people in the Sox organization. It's apparent to all of us that the team vastly underestimated the market for Machado and lost BADLY in this negotiation. I don't blame the board insiders for that, I blame the team.

I also don't blame insiders for saying "hey we're still in for Harper" if that's what they hear. I'm sure we are. I'm almost positive they can't convert, though, because of how badly they blew the negotiation with Machado.

As for the speculation the Sox would sign both - it's apparent they had unrealistic numbers to achieve this, if it's true. I honestly doubt it is, mainly because they would've been better off securing Machado for 10/300+ and bowing out on Harper instead of bowing out on Machado and almost starting over with Harper. You were close on Machado. You're not close on Harper (presumably). It just doesn't line up that they wanted both.

Man, I would love to be proven wrong.

41 minutes ago, fathom said:

Always seemed like the Sox were playing not to lose instead of putting on full court press. 

They always do.  They are so risk averse it is amazing.  They are run like a senior citizens portfolio.  Slow and steady, don't take any risks.  I guess in a way, that is exactly what they are.  Ugh. 

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

They always do.  They are so risk averse it is amazing.  They are run like a senior citizens portfolio.  Slow and steady, don't take any risks.  I guess in a way, that is exactly what they are.  Ugh. 

It's like they are the people that dip their toes in the water but never go in, the teams that are successful are the ones that sprint into an ocean or lake or cannonball into a pool. 

Yep fuck the board. Ive been on this board for 2 decades (I hilariously said 1 decade earlier because I actually forgot how long ive been here.) In 20 years, Ive never asked 1 person for information. Ive never whined, craved or wanted anything from any insider. All I have ever wanted is for place to talk about the White Sox with people who have good ideas. Maybe its cool for like 1 minute to find out the Sox got a guy before the rest of the world, but the only reason it was cool at all, was because we had this place to discuss.

If the Sox got Machado, this is where I would have celebrated. As sad as it may be, when the Sox were in the World Series in 2005, this was place I was posting. I wasnt out with some fair weather fans at a bar, I was here posting with the people who made that moment. 

So fuck this board. Fuck them all because we had a group of people telling all of us nobody peons that they knew more about this situation. Fuck us nobody regular joes who dont deserve the information. 

What is tiresome is the "insider" class that began to take shape this off-season. And I dont expect that this post will endear me to any insiders, and Im sure that means I wont be on the cool kids pm list or whatever. 

40 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Let’s be clear, I had no sense of exactly where the Sox limits were or were not. If anyone tells you they have that information, they are very likely lying, or you are hearing that, in person, from the folks making those very decisions. 

Shack,

I just think that the way that the information was presented to us regular people who are undeserving, is that the Sox were making it clear they were going to get this done. Given that a month ago I was speculating figures of 8/282 and saying that 10/300mil was actually a better deal for the Sox, it is disheartening that the Sox didnt make those deals given how optimistic all of these insiders were.

As Im sure you are aware, in multiple threads I said you would not say something unless you believed it to be true. But what I am saying is that now looking back, it seems that he information insiders were being given wasnt that great.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

I'm not an insider. Never claimed to be. 

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

I honestly don't think Dave knows much anymore. Not saying that because I want Harper on the Sox. I just don't think anyone would trust him enough to tell him anything of value. 

I agree. I think Dave knows as much as the other team reporters, which is to say not much more than the org is willing to let out. When was the last time he really put out a scoop from his guy like he used to? When he had info he would be very specific about it. Now he is mostly very vague so he has deniability if he is wrong but can gloat if he is right, or worse he just regurgitates info that is already out there.

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Yep fuck the board. Ive been on this board for 2 decades (I hilariously said 1 decade earlier because I actually forgot how long ive been here.) In 20 years, Ive never asked 1 person for information. Ive never whined, craved or wanted anything from any insider. All I have ever wanted is for place to talk about the White Sox with people who have good ideas. Maybe its cool for like 1 minute to find out the Sox got a guy before the rest of the world, but the only reason it was cool at all, was because we had this place to discuss.

If the Sox got Machado, this is where I would have celebrated. As sad as it may be, when the Sox were in the World Series in 2005, this was place I was posting. I wasnt out with some fair weather fans at a bar, I was here posting with the people who made that moment. 

So fuck this board. Fuck them all because we had a group of people telling all of us nobody peons that they knew more about this situation. Fuck us nobody regular joes who dont deserve the information. 

What is tiresome is the "insider" class that began to take shape this off-season. And I dont expect that this post will endear me to any insiders, and Im sure that means I wont be on the cool kids pm list or whatever. 

Shack,

I just think that the way that the information was presented to us regular people who are undeserving, is that the Sox were making it clear they were going to get this done. Given that a month ago I was speculating figures of 8/282 and saying that 10/300mil was actually a better deal for the Sox, it is disheartening that the Sox didnt make those deals given how optimistic all of these insiders were.

As Im sure you are aware, in multiple threads I said you would not say something unless you believed it to be true. But what I am saying is that now looking back, it seems that he information insiders were being given wasnt that great.

You've been posting here a long time. As have I. The site used to be great. You're 100% correct on that. It's not anymore. I get told things all the time. I wouldn't bring them to the board though because the info is 2nd and 3rd hand and then I have strangers calling me out for lying when those things don't happen. My post wasn't in reference to you but if you took it that way, not much I can do about it at this point. So yes badger, back when I started posting here, it was the go to place. I would absolutely recommend sharing info. I wouldn't recommend the same any longer in its current iteration though. 

11 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Shack,

It's one thing to say you have sources that claim the Sox are in hot and heavy with Machado, it's entirely another thing to take the leap and basically say it's pretty much a lock. Then you are just wrong. If that is what your sources told you, they obviously weren't good sources.

9 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I honestly don't think Dave knows much anymore. Not saying that because I want Harper on the Sox. I just don't think anyone would trust him enough to tell him anything of value. 

Dave showed his true colors the last few days. He never scoops anything he just says he's confident or puts eyeballs and hopes it sticks. He hasn't scooped shit this off-season.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I think that the White Sox leaked like a sieve for the last 2 months because it tells such a complete story. I think WSD was right and the White Sox seriously increased their offer to Machado right around Soxfest, and he probably heard "The White Sox are going to sign Machado this weekend for 8/$200" or something that was a ridiculously low contract, but the White Sox's player valuations are so screwed up that the White Sox organization believed that was a fair offer that Machado's side would jump at. They said to everyone who would listen  "we have a great offer on the table and they're going to sign it this weekend", because the org believed it. 

I would bet he's basing that tweet on how the org is sounding right now.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's one thing to say you have sources that claim the Sox are in hot and heavy with Machado, it's entirely another thing to take the leap and basically say it's pretty much a lock. Then you are just wrong. If that is what your sources told you, they obviously weren't good sources.

If the White Sox are saying "This is a lock" and leaking that to everyone who will listen, and you pass on that "The White Sox are saying this is a lock", that's fair.

If someone comes back and asks "Does that mean they will do this contract if it goes to $300 million" and you pass those people off as poorly informed and call them names from your privileged perspective, that's different from passing on the information. Your response to that should be something along the lines of "I honestly don't know what that means, if they think no one will bid that and they're a lock for that reason or they are willing to go far past that if it comes to it" - that would have been the honest answer.

Instead we get "how dare you say that we're out on Harper haha I know more than you".

For all of the guys here saying f the board and bragging about how long you have been a part of an internet  community, you are taking this way too seriously. We are all fans of the same team and this team is not close to the most important thing in any of our lives. Offering info is cool but I’m tired of the feeling that if we even question somebody the old guard comes in and starts talking about the good ol days. If info was right everyone would be singing the praises of the insiders but what they said would happen didn’t so people question them. Big deal. “This board doesn’t deserve the info I have! “ is laughable.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

To each is own but the insider stuff just doesn’t bother me. I’m angry with the Sox not the guys who were getting info from the Sox. Some weren’t accurate but others were in terms of how the dumbass FO was telling it at the time. The Sox had an arrogant and confident perception of where there were at with Manny and that showed through some of the insiders view of this whole thing. All this anger toward the messenger is misplaced in my opinion. In the end all that was said from the insiders could have been easily ignored. They may have given some a hard time for all the panic but I think in a lot of cases they just wanted everyone to not worry so damn much. It wasn’t a matter of your dumb if you think I am wrong. If that’s how some perceived it, so be it, that’s how you feel. Ultimately the insiders are the ones that look the most silly for believing their sources were as good as gold, not the average Joe which is the majority around here so why the rage? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Shack,

Badger, perhaps in retrospect we should have shared nothing. My apologies. 

All i’ll say is this: if you consider that the Sox may have 1) always considered signing both players; 2) potentially preferred to sign Harper if Machado’s market price outpaced their own internal valuation by a certain margin; or 3) preferred Harper but believed converting on Machado may have been easier, given the way the market developed, is it not feasible to see how things may have reached this point?

Edited by iamshack
  • Like 1