Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

What do you mean? I thought the Phillies were cheap like us and haven't brought in talent yet? Nobody like Jake A. either. 

Well, they brought in Segura ($15 million), Robertson and McCutcheon ($10 million each) and traded for Realmuto, ($5.9 million).   What's another $325 million for Harper, right?

Basically about the same as what we're spending on all of our garbage FA acqusitions and "Machado Influencers."  In fact, I think we STILL managed to spend more than the Phillies, and yet we're going to struggle to win 70 games.

FWIW, I do think they're going to have to trade for another starting pitcher in June/July, when the NL East race has fleshed itself out more fully.

I should add that if they don't sign Harper that's about it for me. I don't need to follow this shit from the other side of the world if they aren't even going to make an effort to win any games.

But I really don't think they're out on Harper. Nightengale is really not a good reporter, reference the Kyler Murray "report" which he released AFTER Murray announced his NFL intentions on Twitter. So I'm withholding judgment here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Despite some of our efforts to treat each of these player negotiations independently, there are some posters here who continue to conflate what happened in the negotiations with the Machado camp, precisely with what we should expect in negotiations with Harper. I continue to believe that that is not fair, or rational. They are two completely different players and should be viewed as such. 

Ultimately, none of this will matter when the Sox land neither player.  Unfortunately, for Hahn and the rest of the clown show front office, there are no consolation prizes for runner-up in free agency...  even if Hahn thinks that they should feel great because they “had a seat at the table.”

4 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I should add that if they don't sign Harper that's about it for me. I don't need to follow this shit from the other side of the world if they aren't even going to make an effort to win any games.

But I really don't think they're out on Harper. Nightengale is really not a good reporter, reference the Kyler Murray "report" which he released AFTER Murray announced his NFL intentions on Twitter. So I'm withholding judgment here.

Forget about the overall money, the guaranteed money, the incentives/escalators...you'd have to believe that JR would be willing to commit to 10 years and then also not have a way for the club (and not the player/Boras) to opt-out of it.

And a mutual opt-out just isn't going to happen.

The fact is, we should WANT Harper to opt-out after 4 or 5 years because the franchise is doing so well...it means there are multiple younger core players in need to extensions.

10 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Ultimately, none of this will matter when the Sox land neither player.  Unfortunately, for Hahn and the rest of the clown show front office, there are no consolation prizes for runner-up in free agency...  even if Hahn thinks that they should feel great because they “had a seat at the table.”

52886850-F73B-4C81-AD40-5092A5F4A556.jpeg

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Forget about the overall money, the guaranteed money, the incentives/escalators...you'd have to believe that JR would be willing to commit to 10 years and then also not have a way for the club (and not the player/Boras) to opt-out of it.

And a mutual opt-out just isn't going to happen.

The fact is, we should WANT Harper to opt-out after 4 or 5 years because the franchise is doing so well...it means there are multiple younger core players in need to extensions.

Yes, and as I keep arguing, the incentive of playing for another contract helps to keep the player motivated. Player opt outs are good for ownership, as long as they fit the team's time line for contention. 5 years would be fine for these circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Always be proud that a free agent let you offer him a guaranteed $50 million shy of his eventual contract.

That's only 17% undershooting.  Impressive stuff.

Next time, we'll aim for the 10-15% range so that we can maintain our seat at the table and not be mired in mediocrity.

TWTW, baby!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I support anyone who wants to hold out hope we land Harper, but the Machado miss has destroyed any hope I have in this front office.  And I’ll keep saying it,  but if any franchise could use a player like Harper it’s us.  I’m actually shocked Reinsdorf doesn’t see that.

It’s truly mind blowing.  Sure, Eloy could eventually be that guy but you already know Harper is that guy.  Now imagine two franchise players on this team.  I just don’t get it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lillian said:

You may be right, but remember what Yogi Berra said; "it ain't over, till it's over". I'm still withholding my judgement.

As a concession to you ,one of our most kind and our only consistent female poster as far as I know and one of the elder stateswoman of the board. I'd like a mod to change the title to ;Harper: It Ain't Over till It's Over.

According to sources, JR moderately surprised that Bryce wants more money than JR’s limits.  But since it isn’t his first rodeo, he is going to allow Bryce to keep his beard and his hair long.  Hahn thinks better than even chance Bryce wants something more than facial hair guarantees.

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As a concession to you ,one of our most kind and our only consistent female poster as far as I know and one of the elder stateswoman of the board. I'd like a mod to change the title to ;Harper: It Ain't Over till It's Over.

You mean the eternal/endless quest for a middle of the order sweet hittin' lefty isn't quite over...and at least Lilian was on record as not being that interested in Machado from the getgo.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Heyman trying to squeeze a few extra million out of the Phillies for Boras.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1098749489521836032

Might as well try the Braves/Mets/Nets (threatening shorter term deals) again and conjure up some crazy case for the Marlins/Jeter making a huge splash to "show they're back," even.

What's to lose?

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Has it been said anywhere that the Sox won't go over 300m for ANYONE,  or just Manny. That seems like an important distinction. I think ultimately we are talking about 10/330 to 350, and I don't see the Sox doing that but still. 

Hear me out.

We rename the ChiSox Bar & Grill to Harper's Bazaar & Grillitorium. He gets to dictate the menu and 50% of profits for the next 20 years.

No way Boras turns that down.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Hear me out.

We rename the ChiSox Bar & Grill to Harper's Bazaar & Grillitorium. He gets to dictate the menu and 50% of profits for the next 20 years.

No way Boras turns that down.

We completely rename the franchise after our move to Harper's Ferry, star player is elated to be the only player in history with his name as part of the team name...Civil War buffs and coal miners from across the country trek there to attend games and answer trivia questions between innings, record profits boom.

The Harper's Ferry Frosty's, with Wendy's as the sponsor.

Bryce hits for the cycle and every single attendee at the game (with validated ticket) wins a free regular-size Frosty for life (with purchase of additional item of $2.99 value or higher.)

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

Kind of ironic Hahn talks about being proud of ownership for making their offer to Manny when just a week ago Paxson was on the radio wanting credit for talking to LeBron in 2010. The parallels of these two front offices. Yikes. 

And what’s their common denominator? Until that changes, both franchises will be laughing stocks. 

1 minute ago, Bad Hombre said:

And what’s their common denominator? Until that changes, both franchises will be laughing stocks. 

I don't think anyone is going to argue you that Reinsdorf has no business making decisions for professional sports franchises. Things will change eventually, and it's not like we aren't the first group of fans to be disgruntled by their favorite team's owner(s). Other franchises have been run by morons, recovered, and still around to talk about it.

• Like 1