Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

The seat at the table comments were some of the most pathetic things I’ve seen by a sports organization. This wasn’t like a 5 star recruit that had you in their top five because the they actually liked your school, etc.  The Taliban semipro baseball team would have had a shot at the table if they were offering Manny enough money.

The comments are beyond embarrassing.  And the best part is after making a big stink about “deserving a seat at the table” they acted like a team not prepared to act like a big market team.  I get 8/$250M is big money, but that’s not a market offer in a normal year for a 26 year old, future HOF.  The Sox are exactly who we thought they were, an organization that’s claims they want to be viewed amongst the elite but refuse to act like those other clubs in any way.  

Prove me wrong Hahn, KW, & Jerry and add Bryce Harper.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The comments are beyond embarrassing.  And the best part is after making a big stink about “deserving a seat at the table” they acted like a team not prepared to act like a big market team.  I get 8/$250M is big money, but that’s not a market offer in a normal year for a 26 year old, future HOF.  The Sox are exactly who we thought they were, an organization that’s claims they want to be viewed amongst the elite but refuse to act like those other clubs in any way.  

Prove me wrong Hahn, KW, & Jerry and add Bryce Harper.

Yeah, the seat at the table BS is just that.  These assholes literally have one chance left to make this right...a fucking 26 year old future HOFer (most likely) is sitting there for the taking....you have tons of $ to spend, and the fans on the cusp of a full blown mutiny.  If these 3 idiots running things at the top can't see just how important it is to sign Bryce, I just have no words.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So as far as guaranteed money goes what does Harper get ?

Would $300M/9 yr. guaranteed plus the $50M in incentives , opt out after 5 years. be an offer that might win ?

At some point soon Harper and the Phillies are going to sit down and hammer out a 10 year, $330 million+ guaranteed deal, with an opt out somewhere in it, and it'll get done. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At some point soon Harper and the Phillies are going to sit down and hammer out a 10 year, $330 million+ guaranteed deal, with an opt out somewhere in it, and it'll get done. 

This is probably true but this really was an interesting take by Jeff Sullivan.

It is funny, it feels like there has been so many phases of the offseason where it would seem the big articles were that harper was probably the more likely to succeed player, then it whipsawed to machado. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/it-seems-unlikely-scott-boras-has-a-300-million-bid-for-bryce-harper/

Just now, bmags said:

This is probably true but this really was an interesting take by Jeff Sullivan.

It is funny, it feels like there has been so many phases of the offseason where it would seem the big articles were that harper was probably the more likely to succeed player, then it whipsawed to machado. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/it-seems-unlikely-scott-boras-has-a-300-million-bid-for-bryce-harper/

One alternate way to say it:

With where the Phillies organization currently sits, failing to put a $330 million offer on the table to Harper is approximately as stupid as the White Sox failing to meet a $300 million asking price for Machado. I would be open to arguments that it is dumber. 

They may not want to pay that much, they may not want to bid against themselves, but they need that player and that is a fair contract for that player, and even if they outbid what everyone else is bidding substantially, it's still a fair contract for the player.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Harper doesn't want to go the Phillies ... I think my Pad's are in the drivers seat here. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, fathom said:

The seat at the table comments were some of the most pathetic things I’ve seen by a sports organization. This wasn’t like a 5 star recruit that had you in their top five because the they actually liked your school, etc.  The Taliban semipro baseball team would have had a shot at the table if they were offering Manny enough money.

ISIS got out of Northern Syria with $200 million...they, too, could have had a seat at the proverbial table.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

One alternate way to say it:

With where the Phillies organization currently sits, failing to put a $330 million offer on the table to Harper is approximately as stupid as the White Sox failing to meet a $300 million asking price for Machado. I would be open to arguments that it is dumber. 

They may not want to pay that much, they may not want to bid against themselves, but they need that player and that is a fair contract for that player, and even if they outbid what everyone else is bidding substantially, it's still a fair contract for the player.

I think it's likely, I honestly do not know that even with the owner comments and phillies fan they feel as much pressure as you state. I really think sox with their fickle fanbase was much bigger deal philly just has a bigger media market to express theirs.

I think it's phillies, I think 10 year 330 would be what I would put money on if we had to. I would not be surprised though if he has to take the higher AAV lower guaranteed money because it does seem that philly may be more dogmatic on years.

Giants are so interesting. This seems to ride against what peoples impression of Farhan would be, but perhaps he is more aggressive than the front offices he was a part of and how has bigger budgets.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m not sure the Phillies are prepared to go that high TBH.  The problem is the Sox are unlikely to budge from their $250M offer more or less and that won’t be enough.

To be clear, I'm like 80% phillies get this done on the obvious deal that breaks stanton's record.

But the 20% is I think philly may be looking at the yankees and thinking they made a mistake getting stanton when they probably really wanted harper/machado this year but it made it untenable. And they have a situation like that coming up with trout. I really believe yanks could have gotten machado for the white sox deal if they were in it at the end and offered a 4 or 5 year opt out and phillies are going to have to think about Trout coming along and making sure they have ammo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This isn’t even worth a ban bet.  The Phillies pretty much have to sign him now.

Just like how the White Sox had to sign one of them?

The Padres are the organization that is run like a shark that smells blood. 

I'll be gone after Harper signs anyway.. just leaving the hope out that Harper signs with the White Sox but it looks dimmer after each passing moment. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

To be clear, I'm like 80% phillies get this done on the obvious deal that breaks stanton's record.

But the 20% is I think philly may be looking at the yankees and thinking they made a mistake getting stanton when they probably really wanted harper/machado this year but it made it untenable. And they have a situation like that coming up with trout. I really believe yanks could have gotten machado for the white sox deal if they were in it at the end and offered a 4 or 5 year opt out and phillies are going to have to think about Trout coming along and making sure they have ammo.

Their window can’t hold waiting two more years on Realmuto, Arrieta, Robertson, Segura and McCutcheon.  It has to be now.

Trout really feels like Arenado’s situation, 50/50 he stays put.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it's likely, I honestly do not know that even with the owner comments and phillies fan they feel as much pressure as you state. I really think sox with their fickle fanbase was much bigger deal philly just has a bigger media market to express theirs.

I think it's phillies, I think 10 year 330 would be what I would put money on if we had to. I would not be surprised though if he has to take the higher AAV lower guaranteed money because it does seem that philly may be more dogmatic on years.

Giants are so interesting. This seems to ride against what peoples impression of Farhan would be, but perhaps he is more aggressive than the front offices he was a part of and how has bigger budgets.

I'm  not even really thinking about fan pressure or the remarks by the owner with that statement, I'm just thinking about their ballclub. They made themselves better this offseason with Realmuto, McCutchen, and Segura, but is that enough to take their team from last year and catch last year's Braves? I dunno, maybe. The Phillies' pitching was strong last year, but their offense was weak, so upgrading the offense is the priority. The Philles' players are young and could get better, but so could the Braves, and the Braves also added Donaldson and could still add more. The The Phillies have money to spend, they have potential to sell a lot more tickets when their franchise is competitive (attendance has dropped from 3.5 million to 2 million while they rebuilt), and they only have Realmuto for 2 years before he's a free agent so they're under pressure to put a team on the field that rivals the Braves right now before that FA step hits.

From a baseball perspective, they have to get this done. It's like the White Sox with Machado, there is literally no excuse with where their team currently sits to not add that player, and if it costs them $50 million more than any other team but the player is still getting a fair contract, it would be idiotic not to get it done. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Their window can’t hold waiting two more years on Realmuto, Arrieta, Robertson, Segura and McCutcheon.  It has to be now.

Trout really feels like Arenado’s situation, 50/50 he stays put.

I don't agree with this at all. That group allows them to be competitive for 2 years and figure it out.  The only person you have mentioned there that matters is Realmuto and nova. They can shed bad mccutchen and arrieta deals if they need and restock on different FAs.

The phillies are walking into a tough NL east this year and harper essentially maxes out that squad for the next 5 years in a not particularly dominant way (in my opinion).

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'll be gone after Harper signs anyway.. just leaving the hope out that Harper signs with the White Sox but it looks dimmer after each passing moment. 

The Padres don’t have the money...they’re already overextended with Machado, their Lat Am spending spree in 2016, $24.5 million in bad contracts going back to 2014-15, Hosmer, Wil Myers, debt payments from the franchise purchase from Moore’s and stadium renovations (5% of budget, roughly.)

The Padres don’t have the money...they’re already overextended with Machado, their Lat Am spending spree in 2016, $24.5 million in bad contracts going back to 2014-15, Hosmer, Wil Myers, debt payments from the franchise purchase from Moore’s and stadium renovations (5% of budget, roughly.)

Please stop assuming anyone knows how much money a team will spend

• Like 1

Where have I heard that before?

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I don't agree with this at all. That group allows them to be competitive for 2 years and figure it out.  The only person you have mentioned there that matters is Realmuto and nova. They can shed bad mccutchen and arrieta deals if they need and restock on different FAs.

The phillies are walking into a tough NL east this year and harper essentially maxes out that squad for the next 5 years in a not particularly dominant way (in my opinion).

Adding Harper would push their 2020 payroll, on paper, to about $175 million, but we're talking about a franchise that had a $180 million payroll in 2012. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm  not even really thinking about fan pressure or the remarks by the owner with that statement, I'm just thinking about their ballclub. They made themselves better this offseason with Realmuto, McCutchen, and Segura, but is that enough to take their team from last year and catch last year's Braves? I dunno, maybe. The Phillies' pitching was strong last year, but their offense was weak, so upgrading the offense is the priority. The Philles' players are young and could get better, but so could the Braves, and the Braves also added Donaldson and could still add more. The The Phillies have money to spend, they have potential to sell a lot more tickets when their franchise is competitive (attendance has dropped from 3.5 million to 2 million while they rebuilt), and they only have Realmuto for 2 years before he's a free agent so they're under pressure to put a team on the field that rivals the Braves right now before that FA step hits.

From a baseball perspective, they have to get this done. It's like the White Sox with Machado, there is literally no excuse with where their team currently sits to not add that player, and if it costs them $50 million more than any other team but the player is still getting a fair contract, it would be idiotic not to get it done. 

I understand all you wrote, but I'm just looking at a team that looks like  a wild card team with harper, and past this year will need to be really creative to add elite players.

8 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

As evident by their astounding record of success over the years..........I think only the Marlins have spent more and won less.