Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Still wouldn't go to the Phillies with the other moves they've made. The "stupid money" quote was dumb but even without Manny and Harper they would still have had a pretty damn successful offseason. 

It's an ok offseason but I wouldn't be content at all if I was a fan of theirs. Their offense was their big weakness last year, their pitching staff was strong - they finished something like 10+ games behind the Braves for a reason. As of right now, if you're a Phillies fan, you look at the lineup and think they've made improvements but to really compete in that division they need several young guys to step up even more AND the Braves (and Nats) have to fall back...and the Braves added Donaldson so they may well have improved that young team also. 

They have a clear weakness at their corner OF spot. They absolutely have the money to spend. They have huge potentail for revenue growth as their attendance a few seasons ago was 1.5 million higher. They have gotten better, but this is just a good baseball move for them, and they shouldn't lose it over $5 million a year on the contract. There is a high potential that this move is the difference between making and missing the playoffs this year and in several following years, that makes it extremely valuable to them. 

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Totally agree. They have made great moves but because of the stupid money statement, they will be ridiculed for a while and the heat will be off of the Sox.

I don't think their offseason was bad but their division got a lot better.

I didn't really like any of the mets moves but this year they are tremendously deep which can pay off in the regular season.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

It's an ok offseason but I wouldn't be content at all if I was a fan of theirs. Their offense was their big weakness last year, their pitching staff was strong - they finished something like 10+ games behind the Braves for a reason. As of right now, if you're a Phillies fan, you look at the lineup and think they've made improvements but to really compete in that division they need several young guys to step up even more AND the Braves (and Nats) have to fall back...and the Braves added Donaldson so they may well have improved that young team also. 

They have a clear weakness at their corner OF spot. They absolutely have the money to spend. They have huge potentail for revenue growth as their attendance a few seasons ago was 1.5 million higher. They have gotten better, but this is just a good baseball move for them, and they shouldn't lose it over $5 million a year on the contract. 

With the owner using the term stupid money, not landing Harper or Machado is a failure that would knock whatever they did to average at best. 

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

I picture Hahn in some cramped steak house waiting area with one of those buzzer thingys waiting for a seat at the table with Harper. 

I picture him alone sitting on his hotel bed with his phone in his hands staring at his last text that said" 🥩🥂?" and seeing the ellipsis from harper pop up, then go away, then pop up, then go away, only for a message to never arrive.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

The Chicago White Sox, who met Harper earlier in this winter and offered Manny Machado an eight-year, $250 million deal, no longer are interested.”

🤬

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

The Chicago White Sox, who met Harper earlier in this winter and offered Manny Machado an eight-year, $250 million deal, no longer are interested.”

🤬

If I have to try and be an optimist, this would definitely fit in with the "stealth mode" idea. If they want people to believe they're out they would definitely feed that to the mouth piece that is Bob Nightengale.

• Like 1

Just now, Kiebs13 said:

If I have to try and be an optimist, this would definitely fit in with the "stealth mode" idea. If they want people to believe they're out they would definitely feed that to the mouth piece that is Bob Nightengale.

Exactly, let's not Jump to conclusions and start freaking out again. Its bob anyways

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

Really crazy that Bob Nightengale and Bruce Levine are the only ones reporting that. 

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

same people peddling the incorrect 175mm deal.

I fully believe that $175 million guaranteed with some additional options is where the White Sox offer was sitting sometime in January, possibly that could be the offer they presented as their opener in December, but whenver it was - it totally fits the narrative the White Sox gave of upping their offer and adding things from an initial offer as ST approached. 

I really just want them to do what fathom said and give him a 10 for 330 offer. I don't believe that 10 for 350 is on table. The obvious desire for machado was to hit that 300 mill mark, for harper its 330. He wants, more than the actual money, the title and respect that goes with getting the most money. He surely feels he is better than stanton.

If you want him, you go get it. I feel he could easily provide enough production next 5 years to be worth that while balancing the cost control sox have on the rest of the roster. Stop worrying, white sox, about advancing player salaries and worry about building this team. An elite bat makes things sooooo much easier.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

It's well known those are the guys the Sox talk to when they want stuff out there so its not that crazy. 

That's what I was getting at. It's actually pretty obvious what's going on right now. Highly doubt that the Sox get anything done though.