Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

The good news if we were to shapeshift into a competent organization and sign harper, is his normal good year/bad year/good year pattern coincides with a really good 2021 which should just align with dominating the world with our other guys.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

dont think we'll get harper but it was impressive how no one got Eloy/Sox trade ahead of time. When we want to shut the door, we can. I guess

It seems like with Manny we tried to use the media  a little, and then got burned by playing that game. 

You're forgetting wetbutt and katyperrysbootyhole

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

dont think we'll get harper but it was impressive how no one got Eloy/Sox trade ahead of time. When we want to shut the door, we can. I guess

It seems like with Manny we tried to use the media  a little, and then got burned by playing that game. 

It takes 2 to tango, and I can't see Boras playing along, perhaps losing some leverage.

13 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

That's what I was getting at. It's actually pretty obvious what's going on right now. Highly doubt that the Sox get anything done though. 

One other possibility is that the White Sox are actually out and Levine and Nightengale have repeatedly gone to ask them if they were going to change their minds, and they're just reporting that statement because the Sox are ok saying it.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

One other possibility is that the White Sox are actually out and Levine and Nightengale have repeatedly gone to ask them if they were going to change their minds, and they're just reporting that statement because the Sox are ok saying it.

This is what’s happening as far as I am concerned. Why would I believe anything different after the dealings of this past week? 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It takes 2 to tango, and I can't see Boras playing along, perhaps losing some leverage.

This seems like a good point to me, even if the White Sox wanted to keep active interest quiet, Boras does not. He isn't going to threaten his own credibility by outright lying, but if a team is meeting with him, he just has to leak the honest statement that a meeting happened. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I hope to God they are in, but to think they are because Nightengale said they aren't is a reach. I'm pretty sure if he said they were, this thread would be hopping like crazy. 

Other people have reported in recent days that the sox are in still contact, etc.  

One thing I think would be certain. If the Sox are in on Harper (unlikely), that they would keep quiet about it. They wouldn't want to have another fan eruption if they miss out on him like they did with Machado. And I'd bet Rick Hahn got his ass chewed out by JR for setting the fanbase up for that Machado eruption.

It just doesn't add up to me that the Sox were one of the few teams interested enough to meet with him in Vegas in December when the price tag was rumored to be $400M, apparently host him in Chicago (never officially confirmed, but UC Harper banner, etc.), and then he sits on the FA market for 75 more days without getting his ask, and now they're not interested?  

Doesn't make any sense.  I don't think they'll offer what it would take to get him, but they're either still interested, or Harper has outright told him there is no interest on his end.    

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

It just doesn't add up to me that the Sox were one of the few teams interested enough to meet with him in Vegas in December when the price tag was rumored to be $400M, apparently host him in Chicago (never officially confirmed, but UC Harper banner, etc.), and then he sits on the FA market for 75 more days without getting his ask, and now they're not interested?  

Doesn't make any sense.  I don't think they'll offer what it would take to get him, but they're either still interested, or Harper has outright told him there is no interest on his end.    

In fairness to the Sox, the early meeting with Harper were moreso to sit down and get to know the player. I do agree that their interest was false unless they were willing to spend at least $300 million on either player. 

Boras is going to hold out until he gets a king's ransom for his client

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Other people have reported in recent days that the sox are in still contact, etc.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It's either he wants no part of the White Sox, or the White Sox were in fantasy land when they determined how much it would take to sign with a 62 win team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 10 seasons, who hasn't had a winning season in 6, who would be counting on him to be their version of Michael Jordan. Put fannies in the seats while not paying him full value. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's either he wants no part of the White Sox, or the White Sox were in fantasy land when they determined how much it would take to sign with a 62 win team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 10 seasons, who hasn't had a winning season in 6, who would be counting on him to be their version of Michael Jordan. Put fannies in the seats while not paying him full value. 

Fair point.  The third  (and highly unlikely) option is they're willing to pay the price, but originally preferred Machado, for obvious reasons.  They thought they had Machado sealed for the deal that's been rumored, and SD swooped in and stole him at the closing table.  That's obviously on the White Sox and they done fuc*ked it right up....but its still conceivably possible that they're willing to go to $330M or whatever the number for Harper.

But yah, i'd be floored if it happened, and I think its far more likely Harper told them from the get go that they'd need to pay a hefty premium for him to even consider an offer.  

1 minute ago, bighurt574 said:

If the reports are true that Philly is the only team talking about a long term deal, then they’re basically bidding against themselves.  I guess I could see the Sox (and Boras) keeping in touch in case Philly is well aware they’re bidding against themselves and holding back.  

At some point, bidding against yourself a small amount isn't going to be the difference between your team making and missing the playoffs, but losing the player because you refused to bid against yourself might be. That's one of the many mistakes the White Sox made. At some point they just need to put money on the table and get this done.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I fully believe that $175 million guaranteed with some additional options is where the White Sox offer was sitting sometime in January, possibly that could be the offer they presented as their opener in December, but whenver it was - it totally fits the narrative the White Sox gave of upping their offer and adding things from an initial offer as ST approached. 

Imagine listing your house for sale for $250,000, based on a thorough market evaluation and comps in your neighborhood.  Someone seemingly very interested then makes a formal offer.........of $125,000.  That's what the Sox did.

It's understandable starting below what you may ultimately be willing to offer, but what the Sox did was insulting.

Edit:  In this little analogy, the Padres initial offer was probably about $200,000, and they eventually upped it to $235,000 or so to get the house.

The Sox eventually increased their offer to $190,000, and suggested a bunch of clauses about how if the refrigerator doesn't break for the next 10 years, they'd add another $5k.

Edited by Perfect Vision
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's interesting and perhaps quite telling that the tone of the comments has become very cautious. After the Machado fiasco, it's understandable that no one wants to go out on a limb, or set themselves up for another disappointment. The most common theme, I'm reading here now is; "I'd be shocked if the Sox signed Harper". Personally, that would not be shocking to me, at all. What would be shocking is that the Sox' front office is not going to make any serious effort to do so.  

It would also be shocking if Harper had no interest in signing with the Sox. There aren't enough suitors for him to be that picky and it is pretty widely assumed that he's not crazy about going to Philadelphia. We also know that he likes the city of Chicago and the Harpers' good friends, the Bryants, do live there. No, it wouldn't be a shock, if he ends up on the South Side. If Hahn can't close the deal, I'll be disappointed in him and ownership, more than in not having Bryce on the team. However, in any case, not even trying is the only thing that would be really shocking.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It's interesting and perhaps quite telling that the tone of the comments has become very cautious. After the Machado fiasco, it's understandable that no one wants to go out on a limb, or set themselves up for another disappointment. The most common theme, I'm reading here now is; "I'd be shocked if the Sox signed Harper". Personally, that would not be shocking to me, at all. What would be shocking is that the Sox' front office is not going to make an serious effort to do so.  It would also be shocking if Harper had no interest in signing with the Sox. There aren't enough suitors for him to be that picky and it is pretty widely assumed that he's not crazy about going to Philadelphia. We also know that he likes the city of Chicago and the Harpers' good friends, the Bryants, do live there. No, it wouldn't be a shock, if he ends up on the South Side. If Hahn can't close the deal, I'll be disappointed in him and ownership, more than in not having Bryce on the team. However, in any case, not even trying is the only thing that would be really shocking.

It would shock me if he wanted to play for a team that’s not an immediate contender.

12 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Imagine listing your house for sale for $250,000, based on a thorough market evaluation and comps in your neighborhood.  Someone seemingly very interested then makes a formal offer.........of $125,000.  That's what the Sox did.

It's understandable starting below what you may ultimately be willing to offer, but what the Sox did was insulting.

Not really.  It sounds like they had the highest offer on the table for a while until SDG swooped in.  I wish we would have ponied up more and probably earlier, but I wouldn't call it insulting.  Comps are awfully tough here.  You're really shopping for a $10M home that is the most expensive on the market.  

Edited by bighurt574