Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Since the Sox love including incentives in contracts, I would offer Harper the following deal. 

10 years at 325 million guaranteed with an opt out after 5 years (gets him higher than Machado) 

100K bonus for every home game that is a sell out while he is under contract.

25 million dollar bonus if the Sox win one World Series while he is under contract. 50 million bonus if they win two or more. 100 million if they win 3 or more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OneDog847 said:

Since the Sox love including incentives in contracts, I would offer Harper the following deal. 

10 years at 325 million guaranteed with an opt out after 5 years (gets him higher than Machado) 

25 million dollar bonus if the Sox win one World Series while he is under contract. 50 million bonus if they win two or more. 100 million if they win 3 or more. 

I like the first part, but to hang the credit for a WS title on a single player doesn’t bode well.  To win a WS, you need all active members of the team pulling just as hard.  Maybe a bonus for MVP, or WS MVP, but the title is the team’s accomplishment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Fuck it. I'm on board with this.

• Like 1

The Machado thing is irritating not because they didn't want to go to 10/$300.  The issue is over paying and helping the Indians for Alonso and bringing in Jay.  Neither guy does anything for the future of this franchise.  Also if Tatis hits the common fan will now be able to see the epic failure in the White Sox giving the Padres the left side of their infield.

If Harper is more than 10/$340 fine let him go...I personally think 10/$350M is my ceiling 

Losing both is not the worst thing it is the idea that we were told they were in on getting them but then we find out they are only in if they get them on the cheap.

We as fans were given the impression that this was what the White Sox were going to do and it is obvious that it is certainly not the case. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, this is where I see the difference between Kenny and Rick as leaders.  Kenny is a competitor who has to win at all costs.  Rick is an analytic who trusts his instincts.  If he has a number set, he isn't going to break that number because it is right.  Kenny would have never waited six months for the Quintana trade.  The other side is that Kenny wouldn't have waited until February to get Machado signed.  He would have bid up months ago. It is good and bad in both.

But didn't the Torii Hunter fiasco happen on Kenny's watch?  And that was in very similar fashion to Machado, where the Sox thought that had a guy in the bag and then another team swept in at the last minute and outbid them.  Not saying you're wrong, just that painful shit happens, and I'm not sure we can say it wouldn't have happened if it was the other guy.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Totally agree with this, but especially the first paragraph.  I would also point out that Rick worked his way up from the bottom of baseball, and spent a number of years having teams trying to poach him from the White Sox, so he even knew this when he was made GM.

Absolutely! And to add to that, Hahn has KW and JR over his head that can nix any deal Hahn makes but also tell Hahn to make a deal Hahn may not agree with ( I'm not gonna go there ;) ).

Hahn has been known to be a shrewd negotiator and even praised by many on this board including myself. All the sudden now he isn't so shrewd? IMHO, there's more than one chef (Hahn) in the kitchen of these negotiations.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is absolutely fair.  We keep talking about Rick and Kenny, but this number is going to come directly from Jerry and the board, as they know what is means for the franchise going forward.  This doesn't happen without Jerry authorizing it.

Totally agree. I actually think Hahn may have a lil frustrated how the Manny B.S. went down 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Absolutely! And to add to that, Hahn has KW and JR over his head that can nix any deal Hahn makes but also tell Hahn to make a deal Hahn may not agree with ( I'm not gonna go there ;) ).

Hahn has been known to be a shrewd negotiator and even praised by many on this board including myself. All the sudden now he isn't so shrewd? IMHO, there's more than one chef (Hahn) in the kitchen of these negotiations.

Why would KW possibly try to block a deal that wasn’t for crazy money?

The only way that makes sense is if the broadcasting rights deal is paying even less than before...which would or should increase their urgency to TRY to put the organization in position to get a much higher rate per game by 2024.

6 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Hahn is getting blasted because of his over confidence with things. Telling the fans you've planned for this free agency for two years and this is the year to strike, then failing, is on him. Asking the fans for trust again during this free agency and failing is on him. He knew Jerry wouldn't go to 300, so he should have kept his mouth shut. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

So then we’re at $320 or $350, because both numbers have been put out there in defense of the Sox...?

if you guarantee the vesting options you are at 320, if you guarantee the stuff where if he's like mvp every year he'd be at 350.

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Hahn is getting blasted because of his over confidence with things. Telling the fans you've planned for this free agency for two years and this is the year to strike, then failing, is on him. Asking the fans for trust again during this free agency and failing is on him. He knew Jerry wouldn't go to 300, so he should have kept his mouth shut. 

Unless there was no cap on Harper, but then you’re still playing chicken with Middleton’s “stupid/crazy” money...

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

100% agree. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

And this comes back to points already made that you are ignoring. If Hahn kept his mouth shut fans would be b****ing about how the Sox didn't go after these guys. 

Too many fans took the words from the front office as well as twatter "insiders" and read into it what they wanted to hear. In fact it's still going on.

2 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

And this comes back to points already made that you are ignoring. If Hahn kept his mouth shut fans would be b****ing about how the Sox didn't go after these guys. 

Too many fans took the words from the front office as well as twatter "insiders" and read into it what they wanted to hear. In fact it's still going on.

Well yeah, because 10/$300 for Machado was an absolutely ideal fit for the needs and funds available for this franchise and you'd have to be an imbecile to be in this organization's position and not go after that. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

I don't think this is true. Especially in the last season where the team kinda stalled out, sox could have went in saying they didn't think it made sense given where they are at, but are going to still invest in player development, scouting and drafting in a way that will pay off for building a consistent contender, and they would have turned off way less fans.

Or just not even invest, just say we don't think this was the way we are going to build our team, but we have a core we are excited with that we will supplement when the time is right.

They didn't do that, and when you say you are going to execute something and don't it makes it worse. Yes, machado/harper made sense due to their age, but they could have gotten away with it if they weren't so smug. Hahn at soxfest was basically mocking the philly owner for his comments. Won't be so funny if he gets a guy when sox were outbid because they thought they were clever.

14 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

100% agree. 

I like Hahn a lot and have been very fair in my assessment of him over the years. But he needs to show me something. 

Six losing seasons

Abreu has been a great signing

Carlos Rodon hasnt done much

Carson Fulmer hasn't done much

Zack Collins and Burger have done little

Tim Anderson is replacement level

Moncado isn't there yet

Kopech isn't there yet

Gio hasn't done much

Lopez is real solid

His free agents have been the worst in baseball

And after all of this, we have a bunch of prospects we hope hit. His resume is an F at this point. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Nope. He could have just said we are gonna go after the big fish and offer the best deal we can. He could have left out the building fans trust again, years of figuring out this free agency, etc. If you ask for our trust again and fail, that means we shouldn't trust you anymore. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Nope. He could have just said we are gonna go after the big fish and offer the best deal we can. He could have left out the building fans trust again, years of figuring out this free agency, etc. If you ask for our trust again and fail, that means we shouldn't trust you anymore. 

How many public statements have the Giants or Dodgers made about Harper even though they're at least tangentially involved in discussions with Boras? It's pretty close to 0 right?