Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I said at time that machado may be nervous to take offer before arenado in case it beats it, this was higher aav than sox offer, with it just narrowly lower.

sets the table for 10/350 though for harpy.

For those that don't want to read it, they offered him 7/$245M including this season.  So basically a 6 year $219M extension after the $26M he will make this season.

I don't think he's going to take that.    

12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Nope. He could have just said we are gonna go after the big fish and offer the best deal we can. He could have left out the building fans trust again, years of figuring out this free agency, etc. If you ask for our trust again and fail, that means we shouldn't trust you anymore. 

Yep. And he now sounds like a broken record with this "we will spend the money when the time is right" bull crap. This offseason was the perfect time to spend $ on a franchise altering player like Machado or Harper. 

I'm starting to think that the time may never be right for the Sox to spend big in free agency. He can just use his recycled line again next offseason when the Sox pass on big fish like Arenado, Sale, and Cole. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

For those that don't want to read it, they offered him 7/$245M including this season.  So basically a 6 year $219M extension after the $26M he will make this season.

He'll be 28 already in FA, that's a really good deal. I don't think he'll beat it by much in FA.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Why wouldn't Arenado wait until free agency at this point? What is essentially a raise in 2019, plus a six year extension is not necessarily the best offer he could see I feel like.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

With the risk on the FA market right now and the risk of injury and the worry of the coors effect and another 3b on the market right now, he should absolutely take that unless he's really desperate to get out of Colorado. 

At the most it's a small discount.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

that's an AAV for those 6 years at 36.5. he'd be CRAZY not to take it with the state of free agency today imo.

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Why wouldn't Arenado wait until free agency at this point? What is essentially a raise in 2019, plus a six year extension is not necessarily the best offer he could see I feel like.

I feel like he can take a look at Ian Desmond's offer from the Nationals a few years ago and that what he eventually had to settle for as a good example of why NOT to wait for free agency.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

With the risk on the FA market right now and the risk of injury and the worry of the coors effect and another 3b on the market right now, he should absolutely take that unless he's really desperate to get out of Colorado. 

At the most it's a small discount.

I think he's beating 6/$219M fairly handily next offseason.  

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

He'll be 28 already in FA, that's a really good deal. I don't think he'll beat it by much in FA.

He's 15 months older than Machado.  So for apples to apples comparison, call it 2 years and 3 months older next offseason.  Shave off 2 years off Machado's deal and he'd be looking at 8/$240M.  So yah, I suppose I wouldn't blame him for taking 6/$219M based on the process Machado and Harper had to go through this offseason. But I still think he'd want to explore FA now that he's made it this far, unless he loves COL and want to be a Rockie for his career..

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If they're talking about a record breaking deal, why would he wait? If he decides not to agree to an extension, he can have a serious injury this year. Don't be dumb and take the money now.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

He's 15 months older than Machado.  So for apples to apples comparison, call it 2 years and 3 months older next offseason.  Shave off 2 years off Machado's deal and he'd be looking at 8/$240M.  So yah, I suppose I wouldn't blame him for taking 6/$219M based on the process Machado and Harper had to go through this offseason. But I still think he'd want to explore FA now that he's made it this far, unless he loves COL and want to be a Rockie for his career..

A $20 million discount in exchange for avoiding this FA market and avoiding injury risk, locking up $200 million securely for the career? That seems entirely reasonable, unless he hates COL. 

A good reply to that from Arenado's side might even be adding a year at the end with a vesting option. 

42 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hahn is getting blasted because of his over confidence with things. Telling the fans you've planned for this free agency for two years and this is the year to strike, then failing, is on him. Asking the fans for trust again during this free agency and failing is on him. He knew Jerry wouldn't go to 300, so he should have kept his mouth shut. 

Thats what I'm annoyed about. Should have shut up and played it in stealth mode... It was either put up or shut up

Just now, Balta1701 said:

A $20 million discount in exchange for avoiding this FA market and avoiding injury risk, locking up $200 million securely for the career? That seems entirely reasonable, unless he hates COL. 

A good reply to that from Arenado's side might even be adding a year at the end with a vesting option. 

I agree, it does seem reasonable.  

10 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Yep. And he now sounds like a broken record with this "we will spend the money when the time is right" bull crap. This offseason was the perfect time to spend $ on a franchise altering player like Machado or Harper. 

I'm starting to think that the time may never be right for the Sox to spend big in free agency. He can just use his recycled line again next offseason when the Sox pass on big fish like Arenado, Sale, and Cole. 

He even said that the market won't be as nice as this year. If we want premium talent, they are gonna have to trade for it and pay it. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think you can just take off two years at the AAV. You are expecting Machado to outperform his AAV on the front end to justify overpaying his performance on the back end. So those two years Machado has on Arenado should be at more than the AAV, which means it will be about what he is offered now. Plus, with that two year difference he could still make some amount of money on another contract. If I were him I might try to get a little more, maybe adding on some deferred money, but otherwise I would probably take it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

but the only thing i'd point out is in machado's deal you are essentially getting surplus value in the front end but making that more affordable by guaranteeing same amount on backend.

Arenado has less front end value, that's why I think its a really nice extension. You get 3? more years of peak arenado vs. 5 with machado when signed.

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I don't think you can just take off two years at the AAV. You are expecting Machado to outperform his AAV on the front end to justify overpaying his performance on the back end. So those two years Machado has on Arenado should be at more than the AAV, which means it will be about what he is offered now. Plus, with that two year difference he could still make some amount of money on another contract. If I were him I might try to get a little more, maybe adding on some deferred money, but otherwise I would probably take it.

Yah, was mainly just spitballing to try and come up with a fair comparison for the age gap. 

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

just disappointed that there won't be a real "big fish" position player free agent next offseason

Anthony Rendon has some injury history, but not the past three seasons. He's every bit as good as Machado and Arenado. He would be a great fit as a #2 hitter.