Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Well if we were still being reasonable, the other answer next offseason is frontline starting pitching. 

Of course, the White Sox still have a ton of starting pitching...and there's the minor problem of the Red Sox, Yankees, and Astros all needing starting pitching next offseason...

Yeah everyone needs starting pitching. Even then, there's only Sale, Cole and Madbum. Not a lot of crop to choose from

8 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I think you gotta spend the stupid money on Harper now just to save yourself from spending stupid money on awful free agents down the road. Earmark that money to Bryce so that you don't have that money to buy more Keppingers and Jays. 

Seriously tho.  I am not more interested in Harper than ever before.  Pay the man his money to avoid spending top dollar on 2nd tier FA the next 2 offseasons.  

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well if we were still being reasonable, the other answer next offseason is frontline starting pitching. 

Of course, the White Sox still have a ton of starting pitching...and there's the minor problem of the Red Sox, Yankees, and Astros all needing starting pitching next offseason...

Lol...zero chance these chumps will offer the necessary amount of years to get a deal with a pitch if they wouldn’t even go 10 guaranteed years with a 26 year old Machado who has been incredibly durable since getting his knees fixed.

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Arenado AAV is set at 32.5 as this became official. So...the absolute lowest the harper offer HAS to be now is 10/330. Realistically...that's what it always has been, nobody has been willing to yet. Phillies just got put into a position of Stupid money being a requirement now. 

I feel like I'm going to be really disappointed all over again if/when Harper signs with the Phillies for 10/330.

It's clear as day that he really doesn't want to go there.  Boras is begging for someone else to come in with a competitive long term offer.

I also get the strong impression that 10/330 is just about as high as the Phillies would go.  If the Sox matched and the Phillies were told they had to go to 10/350 or something, I really think they would bow out and sign Keuchel instead (and possibly Kimbrel also).

6 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I feel like I'm going to be really disappointed all over again if/when Harper signs with the Phillies for 10/330.

It's clear as day that he really doesn't want to go there.  Boras is begging for someone else to come in with a competitive long term offer.

I also get the strong impression that 10/330 is just about as high as the Phillies would go.  If the Sox matched and the Phillies were told they had to go to 10/350 or something, I really think they would bow out and sign Keuchel instead (and possibly Kimbrel also).

yeah. what the shame is before this Arenado setting the 32.5 price per year...10/315 may have been potentially available with an opt out plan since the offers have been underwhelming. Bryce might have told Boras I will take the 10-15 million less to play in Chicago over Philly (because no star wants to live there). Now the 33 AAV is the LOWEST Boras will ever accept. 

5 minutes ago, Moncada said:

This is why you had to land on of the big 2 this offseason.  There will be no one even remotely as good as those 2 in the next few years with Arenado off the market and Trout soon to follow.

If the plan going into this offseason was not "We NEED to be the highest bidder for either Machado or Harper and ink one" then what the hell was the plan? 

Free agency is a simple concept, offer the largest pile of guaranteed money and you will sign the player. This is not the time for bargain bin shopping if you are serious about contention. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If the plan going into this offseason was not "We NEED to be the highest bidder for either Machado or Harper and ink one" then what the hell was the plan? 

Free agency is a simple concept, offer the largest pile of guaranteed money and you will sign the player. This is not the time for bargain bin shopping if you are serious about contention. 

Bmags saidnit right off the bat when we lost Manny to the Pads, winning the negotiation is extremely important to Jerry. To Jerry, agreeing to a number that the player is demanding is not even in the equation. There has to be some sort of compromise from the player/agent end but in reality they just want their money as they asking for it. They will wait until someone gives it. Messing around with Jerry and his art of the deal nonsense will have you f***** most of the time. 

27 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

Can’t wait to see a tweet in the future saying Rick Hahn is a goddamn genius for trading a reliever for a mid tier prospect after this horseshit offseason.

For sure. Merkin and Garfien are already scheduling their tweets. 

Get excited Sox Fans! Reinforcements are on their way! More AAAA filler like Tilson, Gillespie, Clarkin, and Cordell is coming this July!

41 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Why don't they just trade for Otto Porter?

People keep posting this do not know the difference between NBA cap structure and MLB payroll. Regardless if the Bulls traded for OPJ then money would be spent somewhere, there are salary floors in NBA that need to be met. The floor is 90% of the cap, which the Bulls likely won't be have exceed by a huge margin.

If he won't commit to at least 4 years, I personally don't want him. Ideally, opt out after 5 years. I certainly wouldn't fault management, if they lose him to another team's bid, because we wouldn't offer that opt out, at 3 years.

Edited by Lillian

6 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

According to Bob, opt out has been a sticking point for the Phillies.  Sox really need to step up and give the opt out after 3 years if the Phillies won't.  Could be the opening they need to win this thing despite the Phillies' potential willingness to offer more money.

What actually makes people think the Sox are negotiating with Harper? I haven't found one article or shred of evidence that they are. Well besides Shack's post and some blind hope on the board.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

According to Bob, opt out has been a sticking point for the Phillies.  Sox really need to step up and give the opt out after 3 years if the Phillies won't.  Could be the opening they need to win this thing despite the Phillies' potential willingness to offer more money.

Still can’t believe Machado agree to an opt-out after five years.  I fully expect Harper to push for three and maybe willing to accept four.  Five years is a total pipedream.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Still can’t believe Machado agree to an opt-out after five years.  I fully expect Harper to push for three and maybe willing to accept four.  Five years is a total pipedream.

Well the only other team in the mix seems to believe player opt outs are Stalinist or something

Edited by mqr

6 minutes ago, DaGame2584 said:

What actually makes people think the Sox are negotiating with Harper? I haven't found one article or shred of evidence that they are. Well besides Shack's post and some blind hope on the board.

Blind hope my friend. 

• Like 1