Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

6 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If he won't commit to at least 4 years, I personally don't want him. Ideally, opt out after 5 years. I certainly wouldn't fault management, if they lose him to another team's bid, because we wouldn't offer that opt out, at 3 years.

I would personally prefer the Sox to offer something like 10/360 with a later opt out (or none at all), but there is little chance JR would be willing to go there.  Their best and perhaps only chance to get Harper would be to give him the opt out that he wants after 3 years.  If he does end up opting out after 2021, you cross that bridge when you come to it.

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If he won't commit to at least 4 years, I personally don't want him. Ideally, opt out after 5 years. I certainly wouldn't fault management, if they lose him to another team's bid, because we wouldn't offer that opt out, at 3 years.

So you would rather not have him than have him on a three year contract? 

Just now, OmarComing25 said:

I have a bad feeling that we'll end up throwing a lot of money at an already declining Bumgarner next year, I want no part of him.

Yeah, i am not a fan of acquiring pitching through free agency. Especially not if the market forces you to offer 5+ guaranteed years.

You can count the contracts that ended up being worth it on one hand.

Spend on position players and develop your own pitching is IMO the winning formula.

7 minutes ago, shipps said:

So you would rather not have him than have him on a three year contract? 

If the window of contention doesn't start until 2020, yes I would prefer not to get involved, with that much uncertainty, for only 2 years of service time, during that window. Having him, but not being able to count on him, might complicate any longer term plan, that the front office could be trying to develop. For example, let's say that someone like Adolfo emerges as a real top prospect, but is blocked by Harper, so the team trades him for some other need. Then Harper leaves and creates a hole, which could have been filled. 

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Not saying I don't want him for 3 but if he were to opt out after 3 right when we are about to contend for a title I would be pretty pissed.

Good chance he isn’t opting out if things have worked out and we are contending for a title. And even if he does you just go back to the drawing board for a contract with him or one of the other young outfielders will have proven themselves that we may be comfortable with letting him walk. 

5 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

I have a bad feeling that we'll end up throwing a lot of money at an already declining Bumgarner next year, I want no part of him.

I have a bad feeling that they're going to throw a lot of money at Puig, Ozuna, or Castellanos because they need someone to play RF for them and none of Adolfo, Rutherford, Basabe, etc. take a big step forward this year.

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the window of contention doesn't start until 2020, yes I would prefer not to get involved, with that much uncertainty, for only 2 years of service time, during that window. Having him, but not being able to count on him, might complicate any longer term plan, that the front office could be trying to develop. For example, let's say that someone like Adolfo emerges as a real top prospect, but is blocked by Harper, so the team trades him for some other need. Then Harper leaves and creates a hole, which could have been filled. 

2020 being the beginning of the window of contention is fucking pipe dream at this point.  That went out the window when Kopech got hurt, and the Sox completely fucked up acquiring a HOF caliber 3B at age 26.  

5 minutes ago, shipps said:

Really seems like the Sox are not in stealth mode right now. If by stealth we mean non existent then yes , they are stealthy. 😂 

How can one even say that? In order to be in "stealth mode", there would be next to no leaks about anything... which is exactly what is happening. For you to be right, there would have to be tons of leaks and info out there regarding the Sox right now

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

2020 being the beginning of the window of contention is fucking pipe dream at this point.  That went out the window when Kopech got hurt, and the Sox completely fucked up acquiring a HOF caliber 3B at age 26.  

OK. then that would validate my point. If they won't be ready to contend until 2021, and Harper could opt out in 2022, you have him for one year of contention. No thanks. Oh sure, if you were giving him to the Sox, I'd take him. However, in any case, it would cost a significant amount of money. Sorry, but 3 years is too soon for an opt out.

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

OK. then that would validate my point. If they won't be ready to contend until 2021, and Harper could opt out in 2022, you have him for one year of contention. No thanks. Oh sure, if you were giving him to the Sox, I'd take him. However, in any case, it would cost a significant amount of money. Sorry, but 3 years is too soon for an opt out.

FWIW, I don't disagree with you.  But if that is what it took to get him, I'd do it.  The alternative is for it to never happen.  But yah, opt out after 4 or 5 seasons is far more palatable. 

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

How can one even say that? In order to be in "stealth mode", there would be next to no leaks about anything... which is exactly what is happening. For you to be right, there would have to be tons of leaks and info out there regarding the Sox right now

While true, when in what turned out to be the final days of machado's free agency we were only hearing about the phillies and (mainly) padres, I was saying this is typically what it feels like before you don't sign the player. 

Typically, though not always, when you are trying to sign a player, specifically a top of market guy whose agent tries to boost the appearance of a market, you are mentioned frequently.

Just now, bmags said:

Typically, though not always, when you are trying to sign a player, specifically a top of market guy whose agent tries to boost the appearance of a market, you are mentioned frequently.

For most players, yes. For a Boras client, not necessarily. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

For most players, yes. For a Boras client, not necessarily. 

All possible but you are willing to stretch your imagination way further than I am to consider a scenario that the Sox are actually right where they want to be in this. 

• Like 1

Just now, shipps said:

All possible but you are willing to stretch your imagination way further than I am to consider a scenario that the Sox are actually right where they want to be in this. 

Only thing I can think is Sox told Boras an extremely high number they'd pay (350 or so), but Boras can't leak them as a team due to the Manny backlash?  Could be why we've heard lately that there's another team besides Phillies that have offered over 300, but that team hasn't been mentioned.

• Like 1