Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

All possible but you are willing to stretch your imagination way further than I am to consider a scenario that the Sox are actually right where they want to be in this. 

Totally understandable given what just happened with Machado. I still tend to believe that the front office can't be this bad, so I'm holding out hope that they're still in. 

1 minute ago, almagest said:

If the Dodgers get involved and get him its gonna be an offseason of "you stupid fuckers waited too god damn long!" for the White Sox and Phillies.

These agents are dumb.  There was always going to be a mad dash to the finish for the Harper negotiations.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Only thing I can think is Sox told Boras an extremely high number they'd pay (350 or so), but Boras can't leak them as a team due to the Manny backlash?  Could be why we've heard lately that there's another team besides Phillies that have offered over 300, but that team hasn't been mentioned.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

• Like 1

1 minute ago, almagest said:

If the Dodgers get involved and get him its gonna be an offseason of "you stupid fuckers waited too god damn long!" for the White Sox and Phillies.

I think it's more that hopefully the fan fiction narrative of the owners being tough businessman wrestling the sleazy agents into submission and accepting their "market price" should be dead.

When a player values themselves at a price, and teams also value them at that price, it pays off to just meet there rather than trying to play games with the other teams not bidding. Eventually one will just be like "naw okay i'll just pay you your actual amount and actually get you".

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Only thing I can think is Sox told Boras an extremely high number they'd pay (350 or so), but Boras can't leak them as a team due to the Manny backlash?  Could be why we've heard lately that there's another team besides Phillies that have offered over 300, but that team hasn't been mentioned.

I absolutely believe that if one team was that high and no one else was close, Boras would not just sit on it for a few days, he would get that deal done. He might ask the team to slightly adjust the details, but he's not going to let $350+ sit out there to see if something better comes along,  not at this point in the season. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I absolutely believe that if one team was that high and no one else was close, Boras would not just sit on it for a few days, he would get that deal done. He might ask the team to slightly adjust the details, but he's not going to let $350+ sit out there to see if something better comes along,  not at this point in the season. 

We also don't know where the Phillies are at in terms of their bid.  They could be close to that amount also.

Just now, fathom said:

We also don't know where the Phillies are at in terms of their bid.  They could be close to that amount also.

Yeah, and I absolutely believe that Boras would shop that offer around. No doubt in my mind. That's his MO.

I don't even think he has set a deadline to get this done before mid-March.

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Would that be legal under the CBA?

I bet something similar was tried before.

I think they have to be able to put a dollar amount on anything that is offered for the purposes of calculating the luxury tax. I'm not sure the union is OK with that.

30 minutes ago, fathom said:

It seems people should now be more concerned about the Dodgers...... I believe if LA comes to the table with a long term offer similar to that of the Phillies or White Sox, he'll go to LA. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think they have to be able to put a dollar amount on anything that is offered for the purposes of calculating the luxury tax. I'm not sure the union is OK with that.

ugh that stupid rule keeps ruining everything.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hasn't a sport given a player part ownership before? Did I make that up?

I bet some of the A's players got a job in Charlie Finley's coal mines after their playing days as part of their pay.

Yes, I know that Charlie Finley made his money from selling insurance.

Edited by GermanSoxFan