Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

$330 is not crazy.  And I still don’t understand what the big deal is with giving an opt-out.  Having the guy for 3 years and then possibly leaving is still better than never having the player at all.  Sure, Machado’s 5 year opt-out is team friendlier but whatever, 3 years of Harper is better than none and a bunch of mediocre free agents in his place for those 3 years.

Here is the only thing I worry about a 3 year opt out (vs a 5 year one which I don’t mind), we talk about how the big contract isn’t a big issue due to all the upcoming young talent.

With a three year opt out I worry Sox will have to upgrade quickly by sending out some talent where they will have to guess right, and signing free agents where they are terrible. We may quickly hit an upper bound AND  be stuck with trash contracts after he opts out (in worse case scenario).

But I could live with it!

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Here is the only thing I worry about a 3 year opt out (vs a 5 year one which I don’t mind), we talk about how the big contract isn’t a big issue due to all the upcoming young talent.

With a three year opt out I worry Sox will have to upgrade quickly by sending out some talent where they will have to guess right, and signing free agents where they are terrible. We may quickly hit an upper bound AND  be stuck with trash contracts after he opts out (in worse case scenario).

But I could live with it!

But that is pretty much already the reality if they miss on Harper.  All the best free agents in the near future either aren’t as good as Machado and Harper or may be extended like Arenado by the time you think the Sox should have a shot at them.  If the Sox are willing to match $330, give him the damn year 3 opt-out and steal him away from the Phillies at the last moment just like how the Padres embarrassed the Sox.  If Harper leaves after 3 years, so be it. He will still be freeing up $33 million a year for the 7 following years to spend on other players.  Yeah, it would suck to see him go, especially if he is hitting at his MVP level, but he doesn’t get to leave and also take all the money with him.  Three years of a stud hitter is better than none.  Also, we have already seen this offseason what Hahn spent $45 million on.  I have no faith that he will spend $33 million on better player(s) going forward.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

One small problem, we supposedly aren't willing to give ANY opt out...

That supposition was shot down after Levine reported it in regards to the Machado negotiations.  I would think they will offer opt outs if they are serious about trying to sign Harper.  I do wonder, though, if they would be willing to offer one at 3 years.

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

That supposition was shot down after Levine reported it in regards to the Machado negotiations.  I would think they will offer opt outs if they are serious about trying to sign Harper.  I do wonder, though, if they would be willing to offer one at 3 years.

“Now, in big, big deals the player gets the opportunity to bail on the contract at a certain point. Scott Boras, from day one, has insisted that there be an opt-out clause in there, quite honestly, because he's not positive that Harper will like it here. That is part of the whole situation,” he said.

"Boras said we have to have an opt-out and it has to be after year three," Cataldi continued. "Three years guaranteed and then we get the chance to leave. If we don't, then we get the other seven years and he's here for the full ten. He gets the one opt out after the three.”

“They (the Phillies) say, not only does that not work for us, but we can't sell that to Philadelphia. We're gonna poison the well before he gets here. He's basically saying, we're not sure about Philadelphia. The opt-out clause is what's holding up an agreement with the Philadelphia Phillies and I can tell you, Scott Boras insists that it be three years."

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

“Now, in big, big deals the player gets the opportunity to bail on the contract at a certain point. Scott Boras, from day one, has insisted that there be an opt-out clause in there, quite honestly, because he's not positive that Harper will like it here. That is part of the whole situation,” he said.

"Boras said we have to have an opt-out and it has to be after year three," Cataldi continued. "Three years guaranteed and then we get the chance to leave. If we don't, then we get the other seven years and he's here for the full ten. He gets the one opt out after the three.”

“They (the Phillies) say, not only does that not work for us, but we can't sell that to Philadelphia. We're gonna poison the well before he gets here. He's basically saying, we're not sure about Philadelphia. The opt-out clause is what's holding up an agreement with the Philadelphia Phillies and I can tell you, Scott Boras insists that it be three years."

I was talking about the Sox, not the Phillies.  We don't know anything about any offers to Harper from the Sox (if there are any).  In regards to the Sox reportedly not offering an opt out (according to Levine), it was later reported that the Sox are NOT against opt outs.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That was to make a point to the other owners but also to give the team an escape plan/hatch...and it was over 20 years ago now.

You of all people are not allowed to say "it was over 20 years ago now" as if that disqualifies a point 

• Haha 1

So you potentially have Harper for this season and not really competing and possibly only 2 more years in 2020 and 2021 when everyone expects the Sox to compete.  Oh well.  So be it.

I wish we could all take a time machine trip to the future to see what junk Hahn and the Sox ultimately waste that $33 million a year on over the next two offseasons.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You of all people are not allowed to say "it was over 20 years ago now" as if that disqualifies a point 

Thanks for royal decree, Nova of Zalem (Alita: Battle Angel reference)

So, I’ll be waiting with bated breath for JR to give a 1-2-3 year opt out to Bryce Harper now.  Hey, anything’s at least possible, I suppose.  Realistic, perhaps not.

I would think the White Sox would include opt outs, but even the one with Belle wasn't a straight opt out. He had to remain in the top 3 highest paid. If the Sox refused he had the opportunity to opt out.

Why would the Sox be worried he doesn't like it here when the narrative was get Machado here, he will love it so much, he will take less last year?  3 years with the White Sox, why would Harper ever want to leave?

I still think 3 years of Bryce Harper is a lot better than zero.

3 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

So you potentially have Harper for this season and not really competing and possibly only 2 more years in 2020 and 2021 when everyone expects the Sox to compete.  Oh well.  So be it.

I wish we could all take a time machine trip to the future to see what junk Hahn and the Sox ultimately waste that $33 million a year on over the next two offseasons.

The next Todd Ritchie that we’ll all be promised has the capability to be a #2 instead of being an actual 2.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I would think the White Sox would include opt outs, but even the one with Belle wasn't a straight opt out. He had to remain in the top 3 highest paid. If the Sox refused he had the opportunity to opt out.

Why would the Sox be worried he doesn't like it here when the narrative was get Machado here, he will love it so much, he will take less last year?  3 years with the White Sox, why would Harper ever want to leave?

I still think 3 years of Bryce Harper is a lot better than zero.

Apparently, pretending to be “at the table” is as important as actually signing the free agent stud.

”Hey we tried!  Now we get to bank all this extra payroll we didn’t spend!”

Edited by Harper2Sox

10 hours ago, Bad Hombre said:

If only Shack would come back and add on to his “walking toward the door” post 👀

Some of you guys are as clingy as hemorrhoids. Why chase info they don't have. Chill. Nothing they say will resolve the situation any faster . Do you actually need someone to get your hopes up ?

There are plenty of good posts pro and con about the Sox chances of signing of Harper. Pick the ones that make the most sense to you if you can't make up your mind then also choose he won't sign with the Sox to temper your expectations.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

30 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Am I missing something here? Is there any evidence whatsoever that the White Sox are even trying to sign Harper?

Their silence and complete lack of any evidence that they are pursuing him in any way have prompted some to believe that he has been their number one plan from the beginning. 

1 hour ago, Harper2Sox said:

But that is pretty much already the reality if they miss on Harper.  All the best free agents in the near future either aren’t as good as Machado and Harper or may be extended like Arenado by the time you think the Sox should have a shot at them.  If the Sox are willing to match $330, give him the damn year 3 opt-out and steal him away from the Phillies at the last moment just like how the Padres embarrassed the Sox.  If Harper leaves after 3 years, so be it. He will still be freeing up $33 million a year for the 7 following years to spend on other players.  Yeah, it would suck to see him go, especially if he is hitting at his MVP level, but he doesn’t get to leave and also take all the money with him.  Three years of a stud hitter is better than none.  Also, we have already seen this offseason what Hahn spent $45 million on.  I have no faith that he will spend $33 million on better player(s) going forward.

I don’t disagree, I think it’s worse going forward without him, but if we do sign Bryce I want it to work out well and three year opt out pushes on the front offices worst tendencies.

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

Their silence and complete lack of any evidence that they are pursuing him in any way have prompted some to believe that he has been their number one plan from the beginning. 

I don't follow that logic.  In that case I'm the number one plan since there isn't any evidence and are completely silent on the idea (even though I would sign at league minimum).