Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

46 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Didn't people say that the Padres could never afford Machado due to debt obligations from renovating Petco? It's time to stop assuming that we know the financial picture of all these teams. No one on this board knows jack about the Cubs or Dodgers internal cash flow restrictions. 

Circumstances change and the Dodgers are hungry for a WS. Maybe they are about to dump a bunch of payroll via trade with a team like the Sox? 

They told their owners that there will be no payrolls over the cap.  That isn't really an assumption.  That is a reported fact.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They told their owners that there will be no payrolls over the cap.  That isn't really an assumption.  That is a reported fact.

How long ago did they say that? Again, circumstances change. 

Maybe they thought Harper was gonna cost 450 Million. They now see offers in the low 300s and are ready to strike. 

30 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

In a bizarre turn of events the White Sox sign Harper.  In a corresponding move, Engel is designated for assignment.   Harper puts up career lows the next three years and picks up his option because nobody wants to pay for a hitter batting .220 with 15 home runs and 60 rbis.  Engel was claimed by the Padres.    Engel average for the past three seasons was .300/ 20 HRS/ 80 RBS/ 60 SB/ 8 Robbed Homeruns/ 3 gold gloves

That's a star in this organization.

12 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I know we are the diehards and we take this harder than most, but I do truly wonder if the sox realize the blowback they will receive. like will it show up in the turnstyles? Will it matter? Or is this just a small group of over excited fans like us that are pissed, but still will go to 5-10 games because we love baseball in general?

All I can say is that it truly sucks. baseball is basically the only sport I follow balls to the wall.. and now taking my team away from me? it hurts. I know for me, if they landed one of the two big fish I was looking at a partial season ticket plan again.. now I'm just going to pick 2-3 Scout Seats games and enjoy my time, but can't say I care at all about the outcome of the game or even the sox at all. i'll be there for baseball, not the sox.

I think there will be serious blowback, bad blood, and a general loss of interest, but I also think it will be spread over 2 seasons because I think their very public campaign for Machado likely sold a good number of season ticket packages and early single game seats. 

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think there will be serious blowback, bad blood, and a general loss of interest, but I also think it will be spread over 2 seasons because I think their very public campaign for Machado likely sold a good number of season ticket packages and early single game seats. 

Hmm I’m not sure what the consequences are going to be for the Sox. I would like to think that the fans will make their voice heard by not spending and not watching but I almost doubt that will decline when it was already in the bottom third of the league . Sox fans do support a winner though And I think we get a bad rap. People will say we don’t show up no matter what but that’s BS. I was there for the years we won. I was there for the black out game. It was fu*****electric. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

Hmm I’m not sure what the consequences are going to be for the Sox. I would like to think that the fans will make their voice heard by not spending and not watching but I almost doubt that will decline when it was already in the bottom third of the league . Sox fans do support a winner though And I think we get a bad rap. People will say we don’t show up no matter what but that’s BS. I was there for the years we won. I was there for the black out game. It was fu*****electric. 

It got down to 1.3 million after the White Flag trade. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It got down to 1.3 million after the White Flag trade. 

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

It's funny that overall since jerry reinsdorf has been in charge the sox have actually lost fans. That shouldn't happen to a sports organization over the course of 40 years

I wouldn't be surprised if they draw less that a million either this year or next. Reinsdorf has nobody to blame but himself for that. The Cubs put on an aggressive marketing campaign in the 80s and 90s and Uncle Jerry refused to fight back. They have lost at least 2 generations of fans due to that. When JR acquired the team in 1981 the city was 50-50, they've lost at leat 15% of their fanbase since then. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they draw less that a million either this year or next. Reinsdorf has nobody to blame but himself for that. The Cubs put on an aggressive marketing campaign in the 80s and 90s and Jerry refused to fight back. They have lost at least 2 generations of fans due to that. 

Less than 1 million would be a huge drop, I can't see it going that low. People will go just to go to a baseball game. That's like a 12,000 a game average in Chicago.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Less than 1 million would be a huge drop, I can't see it going that low. People will go just to go to a baseball game. That's like a 12,000 a game average in Chicago.

I think there will be games, especially on cold days, that they draw less than 10k, and possibly even less than 5K. Wouldn't surprise me if the only people in the stands are STH for more than one game. This will be a national embarrassment, mark my words. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think there will be games, especially on cold days, that they draw less than 10k. Wouldn't surprise me if the only people in the stands are STH for more than one game. This will be a national embarrassment, mark my words. 

Lmao.  My dude, you need to stop 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

You and me man, we were 2 of the biggest believers on this board that they were going to pull this out. I have zero faith in them anymore, including with Harper. Too much smoke around the West Coast for me to believe the Sox will suddenly just blow everybody out.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Im with ya dude. This org is a fuckin' joke right now. 

1 hour ago, Blackout Friday said:

Yeah my optimism is gone, as is my excitement for the season and overall will to live. 

It’s really sad one free agent miss could do this to us all, but the way they blew it was just a punch to the gut.  We gave them the benefit of the doubt and they completely betrayed that trust.  Until they prove themselves in free agency I shall remain Jack Parkman skeptical.

• Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s really sad one free agent miss could do this to us all, but the way they blew it was just a punch to the gut.  We gave them the benefit of the doubt and they completely betrayed that trust.  Until they prove themselves in free agency I shall remain Jack Parkman skeptical.

800,000 attendance is like early 1970’s and 80’s depths of despair (other than 1977 and 83), with a crumbling old park and the rapidly deteriorating environment in the surrounding neighborhood.

Yet those who remember going to games at the old park remimisce with fonder memories, it seems.

46 minutes ago, shipps said:

I hope you’re right and people make their voices heard with their wallets & TVs, but the sad part will be when the Sox blame the fans for not being able to spend “a dollar when you only have 50 cents”.  The lack of accountability at the top of this organization is sickening.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope you’re right and people make their voices heard with their wallets & TVs, but the sad part will be when the Sox blame the fans for not being able to spend “a dollar when you only have 50 cents”.  The lack of accountability at the top of this organization is sickening.

Then we can respond with what about all the money coming back from parking, taxpayer subsidies, stadium upkeep (subsidized), naming rights, MLB BAM Tech, NBC Sports Chicago and all the national baseball contracts?