Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think the Sox are involved in this, but only as the team that will allow for the Dodgers to create payroll space for Harper should they agree to a deal. I can't see them dishing out a contract long enough for Harper and higher than what everyone else is offering. 

Except Pederson for two years makes no sense without an extension.

We don’t have a need for Toles, although he probably deserves a full-time MLB shot more than guys like Engel or Delmonico.

100% it won’t be Verdugo, so there are only two realistic options, unless KW coaxes Andre Ethier out of retirement.

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We don’t have a need for Toles, although he probably deserves a full-time MLB shot more than guys like Engel or Delmonico.

100% it won’t be Verdugo, so there are only two realistic options, unless KW coaxes Andre Ethier out of retirement.

Would it really surprise you though? Pederson right now would be such a White Sox move. Personally, I was thinking Hill + prospect(s) as I don't think shedding Pederson's 2019 salary would be enough to get the Dodgers where they need to be. Wouldn't surprise me as we all know they clearly had discussions back in January and have traded with each other before.

Edit: It also fits the "money will be spent" narrative.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

17 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Would it really surprise you though? Pederson right now would be such a White Sox move. Personally, I was thinking Hill + prospect(s) as I don't think shedding Pederson's 2019 salary would be enough to get the Dodgers where they need to be. Wouldn't surprise me as we all know they clearly had discussions back in January and have traded with each other before.

Edit: It also fits the "money will be spent" narrative.

They really want to hold onto Hill. With lingering uncertainty about Kershaw, Ryu’s health always up in the air...maybe if they can feel about confident about Urias, but he’s not ready to go 180 innings.  

With our luck, it would be Maeda.

57 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Probably have to move more than just Pederson because he would barely help since hes only at $5 mill. People, including myself, say that they need Hill but that guy always seems hurt himself so who knows.

Edited by soxfan2014

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Probably have to move more than just Pederson because he would barely help since hes only at $5 mill. People, including myself, say that they need Hill but that guy always seems hurt himself so who knows.

That $5 million could make an awful lot of difference between being above and below the "$40 million over the tax" extra penalty. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Just for fun...but old friend Charles the Cat seems awfully confident the Cubs are gonna get Harper.  The way this offseason has gone, they will get him as Hahn takes on Heyward’s contract.

What's his claim to fame? It can't be this pinned Darvish tweet?

Because if it is, that's not breaking something but taking an educated guess.

2 minutes ago, tray said:

On the glass half full score, I look at the Machado transaction this way - Ok we didn't get Machado, but we have Moncada at third... plus a couple of hundred million dollars of headroom to sign other players moving forward. 

The goodness of the glass half full outlook doesn't equate to the badness of the glass half empty outlook. Not even close. We could've had a future hof'er at 3rd while keeping our best prospect at his natural position. We could've raised the ceiling of the rebuild. We could've changed the perception of the franchise. We could've gotten a star.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

The goodness of the glass half full outlook doesn't equate to the badness of the glass half empty outlook. Not even close. We could've had a future hof'er at 3rd while keeping our best prospect at his natural position. We could've raised the ceiling of the rebuild. We could've changed the perception of the franchise. We could've gotten a star.

If you are trying to make me cry you are doing a great job!

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, tray said:

On the glass half full score, I look at the Machado transaction this way - Ok we didn't get Machado, but we have Moncada at third... plus a couple of hundred million dollars of headroom to sign other players moving forward. 

Congratulations, you've just successfully earned yourself a job in the White Sox front office...or, at the very minimum, an internship "carrying water."

Choose marketing, ticket sales or public relations.  All departments can currently use all the help they can get with "spin doctoring" these days.

24 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Sounds more like his opinion, but he did have legit scoop earlier in the offseason. This offseason is certainly not turning out the way I pictured it.

How does this sound more like his opinion lol? He literally says "source". 

32 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

You mean Moncada's "natural position" is at second base where he led the league in errors?

Madrigal is going to be great at second and now  Moncada is no longer in his way. Machado is a POS who could quickly have become a cancer in the clubhouse and a pariah across the league as a dirty player.  Let's not pretend that this guy was going to be a model citizen in Chicago  and a team leader.

25 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Giants still don’t make any sense, if Harper wants to play for a contender in the next 4 or 5 years.

The Giants are the 2011 White Sox.

Agree with this.

The Giants make no sense for a lot of reasons. Bumgarner is leaving and they have no pitching after him - Cueto is dead, and Samardzija is still Samartard. They have aging bats in the lineup with no real prospects coming up. They don't have great payroll flexibility after signing Bryce. The ballpark is a pain in the ass to hit in unless your name is Barry Bonds. 

The Dodgers don't make a lot of sense to me either - I don't think there's any chance they give him 10 years. They could certainly afford it, but they'd practically be paying Bryce 25-50% more than his salary with the tax involved. 

I could see the Giants just throwing 10 at 350 and a 4 year opt out at Bryce and he'd clearly accept because it'll be the best offer but it's an odd choice... what makes it even weirder is the GM wants nothing to do with him, and he's brand new and was brought in to turn around this dumpster fire that was started by taking on aging veteran contracts. If ownership goes over his head 6 months into the new job, I'd be pissed.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, tray said:

You mean Moncada's "natural position" is at second base where he led the league in errors?

Madrigal is going to be great at second and now  Moncada is no longer in his way. Machado is a POS who could quickly have become a cancer in the clubhouse and a pariah across the league as a dirty player.  Let's not pretend that this guy was going to be a model citizen in Chicago  and a team leader.

We’re so far away from needing to worry about a guy as talented as Machado being a model citizen and/or team leader.  We need impact talent first and foremost and lot’s of it.