Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

17 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Sale, lol.  

The best FA options on that list are all pitching.  The Sox should have the pitching.  They will need position players.

The majority of the position players available are a bunch of older options that will be declining for the life of the rebuild.

How do you figure the Sox will have the starting pitching? Gio, Kopech, and Cease are all question marks at this point and Rodon is a free agent after the 2021 season.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How do you figure the Sox will have the starting pitching? Gio, Kopech, and Cease are all question marks at this point and Rodon is a free agent after the 2021 season.

Yep, besides the left side of the field (Yoan, Anderson and Eloy), there is the need for everything possibly via free agency/trades.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, besides the left side of the field (Yoan, Anderson and Eloy), there is the need for everything possibly via free agency/trades.

Correct. There are so many holes on this roster right now and I’d say starting pitching is shaping up to be a much bigger need than position players with the way the pitching prospects are getting injured and/or underperforming. Also, very likely the Sox draft a position player at #3 than a pitcher so there’s that as well.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

JDM, Lester, Turner, Cain, et . were once solid free agents too. Record setting contracts are often terrible investments.

Couple of those guys were definitely considered more than "solid" free agents. Lester and JDM for sure were better than solid.

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd take Cole but he seems risky.

Zero chance  we outbid the big spenders for Cole or even convince Jerry to go the amount of years it will take.  At this point we should focus older / more questionable guys because that who we’ll probably be willing to pony up for.

My guess is we sign Goldschmidt (or JD Martinez) & Bumgarner next offseason.

33 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Padres can't sign him cause they are loaded with debt from the renovations at Petco

Giants can't sign him cause they have a bunch of bloated contracts on their roster and hitting at their park is a nightmare

Dodgers can't sign him because they will go over the luxury tax and Manfred will immediately lock the gates to Dodger Stadium if they do that.

I guess that leaves the Anaheim Angels as the winner. Harper and Trout in the same outfield would be wild. 

And Ohtani!

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Gio and Rodon could be out of the rotation by then but Kopech, Lopez, Cease, Dunning (after his TJ), Medeiros, Adams, etc. will all be given plenty of time in the rotation until they pitch their way out of it.  The Sox loaded up on starting pitching so they wouldn’t have to pay for it.

45 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm ok. You can take your absurd PC police campaign to guilt someone else though. Was a joke nickname made for his dreadful days here. If you want to get offended by it then so be it.

It is odd how a country on the permanent precipise of a full-blown race war takes time to police and shame people over minor langauge while here there is literally no hate between Anglo Kiwis and Māori yet it's totally acceptable to call your coworker a gay, retarded c***. One of the things you realize after getting away.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Couple of those guys were definitely considered more than "solid" free agents. Lester and JDM for sure were better than solid.

Yep, as are the guys available next winter. Actually Cole, Sale, and Bumgarner (if healthy) are better than Lester was when he signed with the Cubs. Similarly, Rendon, JDM, Bogaerts, and Goldschmidt aren’t too shabby either. Superstars? Nah, but damn good players.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep, as are the guys available next winter. Actually Cole, Sale, and Bumgarner (if healthy) are better than Lester was when he signed with the Cubs. Similarly, Rendon, JDM, Bogaerts, and Goldschmidt aren’t too shabby either. Superstars? Nah, but damn good players.

And you can probably cross half of those players off our list before we even get to next offseason for a large variety of reasons.

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

Gio and Rodon could be out of the rotation by then but Kopech, Lopez, Cease, Dunning (after his TJ), Medeiros, Adams, etc. will all be given plenty of time in the rotation until they pitch their way out of it.  The Sox loaded up on starting pitching so they wouldn’t have to pay for it.

If this is your argument for “loaded” at starting pitcher then they are “loaded” with position players between all their OF prospects, Moncada, TA, Madrigal, Collins, etc. A guy like Collins has far better odds of making an impact at the big league level than Medieros, Adams, and anyone currently after those guys combined. Lopez is the closest thing to a sure bet in the 2022 starting rotation and that’s a scary thought. 

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Justin?  Jacob?  Ted?

You know, the 32 year old geezer at the time of his signing back in 2017 and has proceeded to put up 5.4 and 4.2 fWAR seasons since then. But I guess everyone over 30 sucks so I can’t figure out how he’s already exceeded the value of his free agent 4 year contract in just two seasons...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/212210494-justin-turner-signs-4-year-deal-with-dodgers.amp.html

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You know, the 32 year old geezer that signed back in 2017 and has proceeded to put up 5.4 and 4.2 fWAR seasons since then. But I guess everyone over 30 sucks so I can’t figure out how he’s already exceeded the value of his free agent 4 year contract in just two seasons...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/212210494-justin-turner-signs-4-year-deal-with-dodgers.amp.html

Sure, but there are eventually diminishing returns when you sign guys in the 30+ age bracket.

Edited by Harper2Sox

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And you can probably cross half of those players off our list before we even get to next offseason for a large variety of reasons.

I’d love Bogaerts but view JDM and Goldschmidt as far more realistic targets. A 2020 lineup with Moncada, Eloy, JDM, and Goldschmidt would be fun to watch.

But of course they will be 32 yo by then so they might suddenly forget how to hit. 

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Where did I say that? I said a “solid” 32 yo geezer like Turner has worked out ok for the Dodgers but you want to rule out all FAs 30+.

I guess I would just rather have the sure thing 26 year old stud to go along with the rest of this young team.  I’ve been a Sox fan for far too long and I’ve seen Kenny sign far too many retreads and hope they perform.  Dye was a good one but they are few and far between.

Edited by Harper2Sox

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

I guess I would just rather have the sure thing 26 year old stud to go along with the rest of this young team.  I’ve been a Sox fan for far too long and I’ve seen Kenny sign far too many retreads and hope they perform.  Dye was a good one but they are few and far between.

How exactly are the top 10 free agents next winter retreads? You’re grouping players like Rendon, JDM, Goldy in with the Melkys and Laroches of the world. That’s ridiculous.