Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Just to add one more possible right handed, middle of the order bat, to my list, it's likely that we draft Andrew Vaughn, with our 3RD pick. Unless Rutschman somehow falls to us, Vaughn is probably whom the Sox will select. By the way, have you noticed the hot start, he's having? That kid can hit. It looks like the conference may have decided to simply not pitch to him. He has 14 walks, versus just 3 strike outs, in the first 7 games.

Dude, he's a righty you're not supposed to like him!

Anyway, college stats are great and yes the White Sox are going to take him unless somehow the Royals draft him, the White Sox are then going to rush him up to the big leagues by the end of 2020, maybe sooner, and we'll see how it translates. The pitchers in the big leagues are slightly better than the Pac-10. 

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Just to add one more possible right handed, middle of the order bat, to my list, it's likely that we draft Andrew Vaughn, with our 3RD pick. Unless Rutschman somehow falls to us, Vaughn is probably whom the Sox will select. By the way, have you noticed the hot start, he's having? That kid can hit. It looks like the conference may have decided to simply not pitch to him. He has 14 walks, versus just 3 strike outs, in the first 7 games.

Yay for 1B/DHs!

The top of the draft board will shake up alot over the next few months...I really hope the Sox don't take a 1B 3rd overall.  

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You coulda talked me into hoping for a competitive run at a wild card in 2020 if this team had landed one of the big fish and things went right with Kopech, Cease, and some of the other pitchers. 

Now, if a lotta things go right, especially with the pitchers, they've got a shot to be where the Phillies were last year in 2020. That's the difference between adding an MVP caliber player and not having them. 

I think the 2020 wild card isn't out of the question. However, they need to be a winning team that is approaching this level.

Not many collegiate players have won the Golden Spikes award, in their sophomore seasons. This guy seems to be an exceptional talent. However, we'll see how his junior year goes. I understand that first basemen are not normally good choices, when picking high in the Draft. At least he is considered a very good defensive first baseman.

Edited by Lillian

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kopech won't have pitched in a 18 months.  He'll be back, but to expect him to be able to pitch over 150 innings and actually be the ace we would need him to be to compete in 2020 is......a pipedream.

Its possible in the sense that anything is possible.  But there is no way this team is playing meaningful baseball in 2020 at this point, IMHO. 

Yeah I dont disagree. Especially since they will lose 90 games

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kopech won't have pitched in a 18 months.  He'll be back, but to expect him to be able to pitch over 150 innings and actually be the ace we would need him to be to compete in 2020 is......a pipedream.

Its possible in the sense that anything is possible.  But there is no way this team is playing meaningful baseball in 2020 at this point, IMHO. 

I would disagree. With a rotation of Rodon, Giolito, Lopez, Cease and Kopech, they had better be a competitive team otherwise there is no hope for them to ever win. They won't make the playoffs but they should be a winning team.

While the hope has narrowed that Harper comes to Whitesox, I do find it interesting that none of our resident insiders in this site have added any sort of crumb or bit of information at all good or bad, either Whitesox have nothing going on at all ( likely ) or indeed have been told to stay off social media; it’s probably nothing but could be something 

Just now, mqr said:

I know you don't draft for need, but is it too much to ask to not add another body to the 1st base/DH pile?

CF? Catcher? SP?

Those are our three biggest needs, currently.

Rutschman is likely gone, and the second best catcher, Langoliers, is already injured.

Being optimistic, Moncada, Anderson, Madrigal, Jimenez and Robert cover five positions.   That leaves us short at 1B/DH, RF and C.

Sure, you’ve got Palka/Collins/Burger for 1B/DH and then five more solid to ver pay good prospects to cover RF.

So logic dictates college starting pitcher (not much depth yet) and a catcher...because it’s the White Sox and we almost always draft for short-term/college players vs. long-term. 

Vaughn might just be the best option, unless it’s this Abrams dude, because most of us have zero confidence we can actually develop our own raw/athletic/toolsy SS (Tim Anderson notwithstanding.)

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I would disagree. With a rotation of Rodon, Giolito, Lopez, Cease and Kopech, they had better be a competitive team otherwise there is no hope for them to ever win. They won't make the playoffs but they should be a winning team.

Hopefully by 2020 Lopez and Giolito are something good, but Cease will be a rookie, Kopech will be coming of TJS and probably innings-limited, and Rodon has never been more than a back of the rotation pitcher so far - honestly I was sorta hoping Dunning would have a shot at Rodon's slot by then, but alas. That rotation could grow into something formidable within even a year, but then Rodon leaves.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You coulda talked me into hoping for a competitive run at a wild card in 2020 if this team had landed one of the big fish and things went right with Kopech, Cease, and some of the other pitchers. 

Now, if a lotta things go right, especially with the pitchers, they've got a shot to be where the Phillies were last year in 2020. That's the difference between adding an MVP caliber player and not having them. 

It all just depends on how players develop. IF yoan/timmy/eloy/collins/cease take nice strides this season, they'll be better and will probably compete in 2020. Huge if though

4 minutes ago, bjchinn15 said:

While the hope has narrowed that Harper comes to Whitesox, I do find it interesting that none of our resident insiders in this site have added any sort of crumb or bit of information at all good or bad, either Whitesox have nothing going on at all ( likely ) or indeed have been told to stay off social media; it’s probably nothing but could be something 

I agree. The fact that they have gone dead silent suggests to me that they are in this hunt. I'm confident that we will hear all about it, when it's all over, whether they sign him, or not. The insiders are not continuing to insist that the Sox are not in it. They have just gone silent. It's as though the Sox don't exist. Very suspicious, indeed. 

Edited by Lillian

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Hopefully by 2020 Lopez and Giolito are something good, but Cease will be a rookie, Kopech will be coming of TJS and probably innings-limited, and Rodon has never been more than a back of the rotation pitcher so far - honestly I was sorta hoping Dunning would have a shot at Rodon's slot by then, but alas. That rotation could grow into something formidable within even a year, but then Rodon leaves.

Right now, they’re desperate for a Lambert or Flores breakthrough...someone not Top 10-12 on the current prospect charts just flying up to AA/AAA like McCarthy and Hudson did. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I agree. The fact that they have gone dead silent suggests to me that they are in this hunt. I'm confident that we will hear all about it, when it's all over, whether they sign him, or not.

Scott Boras is not going to let a team operate in the shadows

Convincing yourself that the Sox are in this is like textbook seeing whatever narrative makes you feel good. 90% sure that an insider could come in and say in definitive terms that the white sox are OUT, and there'd be 5 or 6 people telling me that's just misdirection

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Scott Boras is not going to let a team operate in the shadows

If we are the favorites why not ? Yes I realize I don’t even believe that we are but apparently Padres were involved with Machado for a month yet over heard things over last 4-5 days; to me Whitesox could really use a superstar to take pressure off young talent 

Edited by bjchinn15

2 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Yeah if we were FOR SURE out.. I feel like raBBit or WSD would've come on here to tell us, instead of letting us babble on and on..... right?

It’s a distraction.  

Do you think they prefer Sox fans focus on clouds of uncertainty enveloping Dunning, Basabe and Hansen...or keeping down Jimenez at the beginning of the season?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yah, I don't see it.  With Machado...sure. Without?  Too many holes. 

Just now, bjchinn15 said:

If we are the favorites why not ? Yes I realize I don’t even believe that we are but apparently Padres were involved with Machado for a month yet over heard things over last 4-5 days; to me Whitesox coukd really use a superstar to take pressure off young talent 

CarGo or Adam Jones a decade too late sounds about right...they were once quasi-stars/All-Stars, at least.

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Convincing yourself that the Sox are in this is like textbook seeing whatever narrative makes you feel good

That may also be true, however how else do you explain that our front office has suddenly lost interest in their previously concerted and determined effort to sign him? Has he done something to turn off Sox management? Have the anticipated contract numbers and conditions greatly exceeded their original assumptions? 

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s a distraction.  

Do you think they prefer Sox fans focus on clouds of uncertainty enveloping Dunning, Basabe and Hansen...or keeping down Jimenez at the beginning of the season?

I don't think fans like raBBit and WSD give a crap about that. I think they'd just tell us what they think since they're fans.