Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

That may also be true, however how else do you explain that our front office has suddenly lost interest in the previously concerted and determined effort to sign him? Has he done something to turn off Sox management? Have the anticipated contract numbers and conditions greatly exceeded their original assumptions? 

Occam’s Razor.  Doesn’t want to waste time on a rebuilding team, Sox won’t bend on five year opt out or are simply unwilling to guarantee the biggest FA contract in the history of the game.  Probably all three, in equal measure.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict the following: While I won't predict that the Sox will win the Harper sweepstakes, we will discover that they were very much in it, right up until the end, and with a respectable offer, which will at least save face.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

That may also be true, however how else do you explain that our front office has suddenly lost interest in their previously concerted and determined effort to sign him? Has he done something to turn off Sox management? Have the anticipated contract numbers and conditions greatly exceeded their original assumptions? 

This is where I am at also, only thing that would make since is if Whitesox were told no or he wants to play west coast; At then the east coast losing two stars to west coast like Harper and Machado is sad 

Just now, bjchinn15 said:

This is where I am at also, only thing that would make since is if Whitesox were told no or he wants to play west coast; At then the east coast losing two stars to west coast like Harper and Machado is sad 

Not saying it’s right, but apparently Kaplan said sometime this offseason that Boras told the Sox to not even bother.  I don’t buy it.

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict the following: While I won't predict that the Sox will win the Harper sweepstakes, we will discover that they were very much in it, right up until the end, and with a respectable offer, which will at least save face.

I just cannot see Scott Boras's side keeping any team with interest quiet for any reason.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Dave never thought they were in on Bryce

It’s too bad the Cubs didn’t get him...that would seemingly/finally put some pressure on the front office not to slip completely into irrelevancy.

The Cubs having already peaked alleviates a bit of that doomed feeling that they’re just going to swallow all of Chicago whole, along with the upcoming backlash about subscription rates for their standalone channel.

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The only way to save face is to sign the guy. I'd be more pissed if they just had a 'seat at the table' and tried to chalk that up as a win again

Just now, fathom said:

Not saying it’s right, but apparently Kaplan said sometime this offseason that Boras told the Sox to not even bother.  I don’t buy it.

It would totally fit with my hypothesis that the White Sox's offers for both of them were extreme lowballs that the White Sox thought were fair. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I just cannot see Scott Boras's side keeping any team with interest quiet for any reason.

I have to imagine the Sox may be in without actually doing anything that Boras could leak.  They probably are just saying, don't let anything get finalized without keeping us informed and giving us a chance to counter.  That way if they really want to pull the trigger, they have the ability too, but at the same time, there is nothing Boras can leak out about the Sox right now since they aren't actually making an offer.

6 minutes ago, bjchinn15 said:

It seems implausible that Boras would let Harper be so transparent, as to purposely eliminate a suitor, in a competitive bidding situation. That would be so foolish. Even if he prefers another location, or team, why reject a bona fide contender for your services. Boras would surely want to string along the Sox front office, just to drive up the price to the eventual winners.

Edited by Lillian

Just now, Markbilliards said:

I have to imagine the Sox may be in without actually doing anything that Boras could leak.  They probably are just saying, don't let anything get finalized without keeping us informed and giving us a chance to counter.  That way if they really want to pull the trigger, they have the ability too, but at the same time, there is nothing Boras can leak out about the Sox right now since they aren't actually making an offer.

You can still add that team to the list of teams that remain interested. 5 teams interested sounds better than 4, especially when it's clear that the White Sox would have a nearly unlimited budget based on their payroll commitments. 

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

It seems plausible that Boras would let Harper be so transparent, as to purposely eliminate a suitor, in a competitive bidding situation. That would be so foolish. Even if he prefers another location, or team, why reject a bona fide contender for your services. Boras would surely want to string along the Sox front office, just to drive up the price to the eventual winners.

This only works if the White Sox were bidding competitively. If Boras had put out that Harper had turned down $300 million, and the White Sox came to him in December with a $225 million offer, Boras may well have told them not to waste his time. We did hear right when Machado signed that Boras and the White Sox hadn't been in contact in weeks - a lowball offer would do that.

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox are offering Harper more than Machado, that just makes them look dumb/desperate, not face saving.  Should have offered that to Machado then.  

And if they're offering Harper a similar $250M guarantee, that's not exactly "respectable" either if he has $300M+ offers.  

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Bucket also said that the Sox liked where they were with Harper.

I trust bucket over Kaplan every day of the week.

That was quite a while ago though correct?  Maybe liking where they are means not spending the money (ugh, I hate that I am that cynical about this).

But with that said, Kaplan is a stooge that shouldn't be given any credibility.

Edited by turnin' two

How often with these big contracts are the teams always known, granted small sample size of mega stars free agents to compare but it seems almost as if , when we hear something the deal may have passed and I feel less confident. With the whole Machado pursuit just seemed like we knew to many details and to good to be true Whitesox were favorites but nonetheless i am sure it is false hope with Harper also and like always with these free agency pursuits Whitesox won’t land him, seem to be reason why the rebuild took place to begin with.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This only works if the White Sox were bidding competitively. If Boras had put out that Harper had turned down $300 million, and the White Sox came to him in December with a $225 million offer, Boras may well have told them not to waste his time. We did hear right when Machado signed that Boras and the White Sox hadn't been in contact in weeks - a lowball offer would do that.

You can't possible believe that the Sox would even bring such a ridiculous and uncompetitive offer to the table. They aren't stupid and had to have known where the bidding would begin. The guy turned down $300 million from the Nationals, right at the beginning of the off season. 

1 minute ago, Bad Hombre said:

At some point this offseason Kaplan also said Sox wouldn’t be outbid for Machado, and we know how that turned out. 

I cannot wait until the Cubs steal him away to their network and I never have to see that D bags mug ever again