Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

Machado and Harper signed for $300m and $330m respectively, with one opt-out combined between them. Neither AAV sets a record.

And the White Sox didn’t get either of them.

The White Sox have a total of $15m committed to next year’s payroll. 

Hey that's money they need to spend 8 years from now

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Machado and Harper signed for $300m and $330m respectively, with one opt-out combined between them. Neither AAV sets a record.

And the White Sox didn’t get either of them.

The White Sox have a total of $15m committed to next year’s payroll. 

And we’ve spent 45 million on total mediocrity this offseason. Please explain again why Hahn has a job?

• Like 3

Finally over though. We knew what this org was when they failed with Machado so this was expected. Hahn is going to wear this for a long time. I’m not sure he will even want to show himself to the public for a while. Wait until next year soxfest 😂 there won’t be a sell out but the people there aren’t going to be happy go lucky. 

• Like 1

People are confusing "upset because this deal should not have been out of reach for a team that seriously targeted the top free agents for 2 years and need it for a stifled rebuild" with "upset because they believed they were getting harper and didn't"

I will always believe the sox are capable of making the correct and achievable choice, and always upset when they can't execute it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

And we’ve spent 45 million on total mediocrity this offseason. Please explain again why Hahn has a job?

Yeah, I’m not really bummed about Harper just bc I had no hope for them signing him. But this has been an awful offseason for the entire front office. Not only did they completely botch the whole thing, but they did it in the most fan murdering way possible. 

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When they win, they draw. Mark buehrle and Paul konerko weren't drawing fans when they sucked.

Sox fans don't show up to watch even ok baseball. They wont even show up and watch if they look good for a while - they need to sustain it to get fans.

Times have changed. Harper has a much stronger national media and social media following and is on the cover of The Show and face of numerous endorsements . He connects to the next generation more so than most players in MLB and is the type of player that puts fans, especially young fans, in seats. Your excuse is just because Sox never had a player that drew fans (I mean Moncada call up drew fans even when he is nowhere close to the star Harper is) so we should adopt a strategy that is proven to draw fans. That seems silly.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 1

So the optimistic view is that 2019 is another 100 loss year, 2020 is probably a .500 year, and contention in 2021? That's two full years after they said they wanted to start contention. The combination of many prospects not working out/injury and the lack of offseason moves has severely hurt this franchise. There will be no fans left by the time they are competing again. Bear in mind this is the optimistic view, which is very unlikely to manifest so it will probably be even worse

Edited by whitesoxwinner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

At this point I'll be frank I don't give a shit. I'll watch probably the first few weeks and then I could care less when the suckage starts. 

Yeah, I will tune in to see Eloy and Moncada a bit.  But I have never felt so apathetic (now that the hate and anger and frustration have worn off) towards this team.  

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm much less angry today than last time.

oh totally.

We learned a lot for the next go around though:

- "stealth mode" is not a thing. maybe for trades, it isn't for free agents.

- jerry reinsdorfs ability as a businessman could not matter less

- how elite free agents value themselves matters, and if you aren't prepared to sign them at their value, plan your organization accordingly.