Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

3 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

This is a cop out the Sox will use even though it's 100% false.

It’s unnecessary for Hahn to do media about not signing Harper. It was all about Manny from the time they tried to trade for him. Harper was a huge long shot and the Sox probably have known it wasn’t happening for quite some time.

The part that sucks about this is that he is pretty much guaranteed to be there for 13 years. That means if he's a hall of famer, which is likely, it'll be in a Phillies hat. I can't even imagine the joy of knowing a player like that was under contract with the Sox for the rest of his career. Man it must feel good to be a Phillies fan right now 

• Like 1

Siliver lining is that both went to the NL and thus the NL is now a bear and the cub road looks tougher then ever.  In regard to baseball that is about all I can do is root against he cubs. 

I kind of backed the White Sox organization in the past but now I really am buying in to the fact that they are just cheap and now they are all about pocketing the revenue generated through the MLB. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

People are confusing "upset because this deal should not have been out of reach for a team that seriously targeted the top free agents for 2 years and need it for a stifled rebuild" with "upset because they believed they were getting harper and didn't"

I will always believe the sox are capable of making the correct and achievable choice, and always upset when they can't execute it.

Most knew we weren't getting Harper. The sting comes from the 25mil aav and we weren't one of the suitors (apparently)

Just now, flavum said:

It’s unnecessary for Hahn to do media about not signing Harper. It was all about Manny from the time they tried to trade for him. Harper was a huge long shot and the Sox probably have known it wasn’t happening for quite some time.

They should absolutely get grilled about giving up on signing a 26 yr HOF caliber talent just because they completely botched the other. That's a hell of a deal for the Phils and they COULD have done it, they just did not want to. They should be asked and I'd love to hear the answer. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

This is not the danger of rebuilding.

This is the danger of terrible ownership and front office people. 

Which is where the Pirates are at. 

Atleast they don't even attempt these type of signings knowing they can't do it. Same with the A's. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

oh totally.

We learned a lot for the next go around though:

- "stealth mode" is not a thing. maybe for trades, it isn't for free agents.

- jerry reinsdorfs ability as a businessman could not matter less

- how elite free agents value themselves matters, and if you aren't prepared to sign them at their value, plan your organization accordingly.

Jerry’s ability as a businessman is a detriment to putting the best team on the field. His business savvy is not conducive to the fan experience or the player of this generation. He’s a dinosaur. 

Just now, Middle Buffalo said:

I don't get it. $25 million/year got Harper? Seems like a bargain for one of the biggest stars in baseball. 

Harper's side was willing to be a little flexible and give up the chance at one more contract at the end of this deal/age 36 in order to get the biggest deal in MLB history, and no one else was stepping up with anything close to comparable to make it a tough choice. The phillies probably bid against themselves a little bit today to get it done since that really is a discount for Harper, but they get an incredible contract structure out of doing so rather than holding out for lower money.

Looks like the Boras played the Phillies too. So I wonder where the bidding was before he had Heyman mention the Dodgers and Giants. 

This was their chance to bid with the big boys on the sideline. Maybe the only reason the were able to sign Abreu was because the circumstances were similar, and JR did bust his budget for the $68 million. 

Business as usual. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I still believe that the Sox were in "stealth mode" and were still in on Harper, but they failed, so it doesn't matter.

The fact is that he signed for $25 million AAV and no opt-outs. I have defended the front office for years, but they have beaten the optimism out of me this offseason. They are now on a GarPax level of incompetence. I hope they lose fans, and I wish I weren't so committed or else they'd be losing me too. 

I hate garpax with a passion.

They are much better than the kwpres/hahngm era because they can still draft well, and hahn has shown no strength in the traditional team building avenues which is why they needed a big splash.

Don't talk about $25M AAV. The expected return in the final 3 years of the deal is basically $0. You have to evaluate the deal in terms of the total investment and the total production you expect over the life of the deal. It ends up being more about whether you think you can get $330 million of production in ~7 years. Maybe! You do get some upside in that if he is unusually long-lasting in terms of his performance, you can still capitalize in those later years. The benefit the Sox wouldn't get is luxury tax relief because we will never be close to it.

• Like 1