Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Those don't have to be the only two choices, and I know you aren't that dense to know that. 

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Jerry can be a bad owner, and Rick can be a bad GM. 

But if you want to die on the "Rick Hahn is a great GM, Jerry is just a bad owner" hill, go nuts. You're going to die mostly alone. 

I assumed we were talking about who to blame for the failures to sign Machado and Harper, in which case I feel like those are the only two choices. Either you think Jerry wouldn't approve the money for Hahn, or you think Hahn was approved for all the money he wanted, but didn't want to spend Jerry's money on these guys.

And the lack of signing Machado/Harper are my only two gripes with this rebuild so far. Everything else has looked fine to me outside of obvious injuries which you can't pin on anyone.

30 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Rendon will be 30.

Cole will be 29.

Puig will be 29.

Bogaerts will be 27.

Rendon- doesn't fit with us since yoan is now our third basemen

Cole- good option, but there will be a lot of competition for him

Puig- are you joking?

Bogaerts- would mean Tim shits the bed this year who is supposed to be an integral part of the rebuild. There's no room for both of them.

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

Rendon- doesn't fit with us since yoan is now our third basemen

Cole- good option, but there will be a lot of competition for him

Puig- are you joking?

Bogaerts- would mean Tim shits the bed this year who is supposed to be an integral part of the rebuild. There's no room for both of them.

Lol. Ok bud.

5 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Nothing I can do about it. I love baseball. Sorry.

I love baseball too. I'm going to watch the games but I won't go to the ballpark with my own money. 

I feel stupid for trusting Hahn when he said they'd spend the money. I never thought they'd rebuild, and the fact they did that made me somewhat gullible. 

If they weren't going to spend the money on these guys, they should have never rebuilt. They should have kept their guys and continued to piecemeal it. 

@Harper2Sox Time to change your handle to Sell Jerry Sell. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Unfortunately, I'll be buying The Show AND buying my 10-game Sox plan here very soon. As much as this team is infuriating right now, I love baseball too much to ignore.

Can you opt out after 4 games with that 10 game plan?  I might give that type of package a try.

I haven't yet read all of your posts, but I must say that I'm just dumbfounded. What was the point of all that bravado, with which Hahn posited about "the Sox had prepared for this off season and were going to be aggressive......." Whether, or not, they should have been in on Harper is not the issue. We can all have our own opinions about that. However, it is just stupid for them to have hyped this off season, if they were not seriously ready to spend what it was clearly going to take. This is a public relations disaster, all attributable to management and, or ownership.

Going forward, I don't want them to sign anyone else. Let the kids play. Tank, if that's what results, and get another high Draft pick. In the meantime, find a way to get Jay and Alonso off the roster, to make room for players, who might be part of the future. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

I haven't yet read all of your posts, but I must say that I'm just dumbfounded. What was the point of all that bravado, with which Hahn posited about "the Sox had prepared for this off season and were going to be aggressive......." Whether, or not, they should have been in on Harper is not the issue. We can all have our own opinions about that. However, it is just stupid for them to have hyped this off season, if they were not seriously ready to spend what it was clearly going to take. This is a public relations disaster, all attributable to management and, or ownership.

Going forward, I don't want them to sign anyone else. Let the kids play. Tank, if that's what results, and get another high Draft pick. In the meantime, find a way to get Jay and Alonso off the roster, to make room for players, who might be part of the future. 

Bravo, well said!!

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

IMO - they really believed it, they just really thought these guys were going to be available at around $200 million and it would be easy, so why not be cocky.

By July I will be all in on Bears news/talk. I will watch baseball games but they won’t necessarily be whitesox games. I will probably get more enjoyment of watching the teams I hate and rooting against them like the Cubs, if I am being honest. Pathetic I know. 

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

IMO - they really believed it, they just really thought these guys were going to be available at around $200 million and it would be easy, so why not be cocky.

If that's true, then it speaks more to their stupidity and ineptitude. Who else believed that those would be the kinds of contracts? None of us did. In fact, most of baseball thought that the figures would be larger.

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Lol. Ok bud.

Considering we can’t be very sure at all of getting even 2 fWAR seasons (his average the last three) out of Gonzalez, Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford or Walker... 

I’d call it 50/50 odds one of those guys hits that number.  Two out of five would be an amazing rate of success for the White Sox.

Plus, we still need a DH, too.  Since we’re probably going to bury Palka on the bench behind Alonso and Jay.  Fun times.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I was going off the words you said. You're sticking up for him because you are unsure what he can judged on, outside of trades (and extensions, which doesn't make sense because that would also include Jerry and ownership.) 

Rick Hahn took over as GM in 2013, but has been with the organization for almost two decades. 

2013: 66-99

2014: 73-89

2015: 76-86

2016: 78-84

2017: 67-95

2018: 62-100

How long is Rick get a pass because of ownership? When is he responsible for constructing a team within a certain budget? Teams do it every year, and to great success. 

👈this guys tired of pointing out that our budget surpasses that of the as and rays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I was going off the words you said. You're sticking up for him because you are unsure what he can judged on, outside of trades (and extensions, which doesn't make sense because that would also include Jerry and ownership.) 

Rick Hahn took over as GM in 2013, but has been with the organization for almost two decades. 

2013: 66-99

2014: 73-89

2015: 76-86

2016: 78-84

2017: 67-95

2018: 62-100

How long is Rick get a pass because of ownership? When is he responsible for constructing a team within a certain budget? Teams do it every year, and to great success. 

If JR isn't willing to even spend on the things necessary to be successful on a budget(J2 FA, Scouting, analytics, player development), Hahn's hands are tied and he should resign. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

To not realize that both of these guys were going to be signing for over $300 million is baffling to me.  Almost everyone on this board knew this but Hahn and company did not? 

Did they go to Jerry and say the price is going to be over $300 million and he said "Inconceivable!!"

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

The second worst part about this offseason being a massive failure is the Sox have 100% reinforced Balta's constantly negative thoughts and he will be certain to remind us 100x per day for the rest of eternity. 

Welp.  

Had Rick Hahn done his job y'all could have taunted me. Hold that against him.

• Haha 1