Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Did you figure into this how much worse Castellanos’ numbers look without feasting on White Sox pitching?

I’m dying on Puig Hill, of course.  Others will pick Ozuna, probably.  The final group will assert we already have five decent prospects for RF, why bother spending $14-18 million per season for a slight upgrade over their expected level of production?

I like Castellanos mostly as a 1b, hoping we don't need to add of bats.

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Phillies are betting big on Harper being able to stay in the outfield.

To me that is not a smart bet to make especially in the NL but hey best of luck to them.

Why? The DH is a forgone conclusion in the not too distant future in the NL. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

Why? The DH is a forgone conclusion in the not too distant future in the NL. 

No doubt, 2022 (after the strike), the DH will be universal. Then we’re one step closer to expansion and realignment with the Chicago teams in the same division. Once that happens, I might be done with team sports. 

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

At least their owner has balls to make bet like that 

That's what hurts the most. I don't necessarily think Harper would have been an amazin fit, but you obviously make room for a generational talent like him.

They have talked up this offseason for months if not years, they let their mouthpieces spread BS like "we will not be outbid".

They wanted it to be known as a new era of White Sox baseball.

Sox fans have bought in into the teardown rebuild. And they trusted the front office and ownership to steer this rebuild and for the first time ever be a player for premium free agents.

Now I can't help but think that all of this was done in bad faith just to string the fans along and get them to buy some season tickets.

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

That's what hurts the most. I don't necessarily think Harper would have been an amazin fit, but you obviously make room for a generational talent like him.

They have talked up this offseason for months if not years, they let their mouthpieces spread BS like "we will not be outbid".

Sox fans have bought in into the teardown rebuild. And they trusted the front office and ownership to steer this rebuild and for the first time ever be a player for premium free agents.

Now I can't help but think that all of this was done in bad faith just to string the fans along and get them to buy some season tickets.

Agreed 

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Even if the rebuild was done in good faith, which I still believe it was, this offseason has been terrible from a PR standpoint. The organization has ZERO excuse to cry poor and not be aggressively bidding on Machado/Harper. They have enjoyed one of the lowest payrolls in the league the past few seasons, and have virtually nothing on the books moving forward. They knew and targeted this offseason for two years and failed miserably to land a single free agent of note that can help medium to long term. 

I expect the response to be a crucifixion 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder why the Sox haven't leaked their final offer to Harper.

Sox probably offered 7 years, $200 million...but if every incentive is hit and vesting options reached the total value could be $350 million

Or some BS. Most likely the Sox did not even submit a bid

Here are some examples of messages. I'm sure that you can do better:

"WE BELONG AT THE TABLE," FOR TABLE SCRAPS

"WE BELONG AT THE TABLE," THE KIDDIE TABLE

DON'T BOTHER SPENDING THE MONEY. YOU WOULDN'T KNOW HOW

"WE ARE GOING TO SPEND THE MONEY" YADDA, YADDA, YADDA 

IF TWO 26 YR. OLD FUTURE HOF PLAYERS DON'T FIT THE LONG TERM, WHO DOES?

0 FOR 2 - OFF SEASON AVG .000

"NEW ERA"..SAME B.S.

SHAME OUR GREAT PROSPECTS HAVE TO PLAY FOR MANAGEMENT THAT'S AN EMBARRASSMENT 

LOSING IS TOLERABLE. BEING LIED TO IS NOT

YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST KEPT YOUR MOUTH SHUT

PROMISES, PROMISES, PROMISES

WE LOVE OUR PLAYERS. MANAGEMENT, NOT SO MUCH

• Like 2