Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

50 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Personally, I’d rather they use it to extend Moncada and Robert than be tied up to 31/32 year old Machado and Harper for another 5-8 years.

Kenny's excuse in 5 years why they can't afford to pay Moncada is going to be funny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Outside of Herrera, these are all one year roster fillers.   

Bad ones, I agree.  But not worth losing sleep over.  

Be mad not that Rick Hahn failed to get Machado or Harper in here, but that his veteran roster fill-in moves are complete horse shit.   Fill-in veterans will be important for this rebuild to eventually work come 2020 / 2021.   

yes, except that if he is so pitiful with the fill-ins now, what's to believe he will become competent with them when they matter?   His negligence is dangerous - you never know for sure when young teams are going to come together.  The Twins aren't being pulled down by their fill-ins.   Further, Hahn traded for 3 of these fill-ins.  How can you not to due diligence when trading for players?

Edited by GreenSox

8 hours ago, jenksycat said:

Kenny's excuse in 5 years why they can't afford to pay Moncada is going to be funny

56 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s why they need to extend him now before he too becomes a $300M man

He already received a large signing bonus when he came over. There's a good chance he's going to take a chance in free agency instead of taking safe money.

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

He already received a large signing bonus when he came over. There's a good chance he's going to take a chance in free agency instead of taking safe money.

It's odd how multi millionaires with fan adoration leave their position with a club to get a few more million with another.  Yet, a guy with a good middle class living stays with his employer because he feels well paid and respectfully treated.  

53 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It's odd how multi millionaires with fan adoration leave their position with a club to get a few more million with another.  Yet, a guy with a good middle class living stays with his employer because he feels well paid and respectfully treated.  

That "middle class guy" is neither elite in his profession, nor being actively recruited by other employers. That middle class guy has to actively search out new employment and most people are too lazy to do that. Not a great comparison 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

That "middle class guy" is neither elite in his profession, nor being actively recruited by other employers. That middle class guy has to actively search out new employment and most people are too lazy to do that. Not a great comparison 

Loyalty and respect is involved in both types of work.  As a die hard Sox fan...if I was a player making 20 million I certainly wouldn't leave my club because someone would pay me 22 million.  Loyalty is not what it once was in baseball and the sport is not better for it. 

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Loyalty and respect is involved in both types of work.  As a die hard Sox fan...if I was a player making 20 million I certainly wouldn't leave my club because someone would pay me 22 million.  Loyalty is not what it once was in baseball and the sport is not better for it. 

So you're ok with the White Sox picking up Alonso and Jones's options next year? They worked hard for the team and loyalty and respect go both ways.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

cSo you're ok with the White Sox picking up Alonso and Jones's options next year? They worked hard for the team and loyalty and respect go both ways.

I'm not talking at all about journey man type players.  I'm talking about stars who have been embraced by a fan base and have been treated fairly in negotiation with ownership.  Be loyal to the fan base who has cheered you instead of chasing the almighty dollar.

59 minutes ago, poppysox said:

They're jobs. People can assign loyalty to whatever they want, but loyalty to a job or baseball team is illogical. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

They're jobs. People can assign loyalty to whatever they want, but loyalty to a job or baseball team is illogical. 

Yep. Companies are quick to make decisions that effects their employees lives (relocating jobs, cutting departments, etc). Happened to me at a company I was with a few years ago, and just happened to my former co-workers at my last job.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

And that guy is a suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

In the case of the White Sox, it  better damn be Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Kopech, Cease, etc.  

If those guys fail, game over.  

So they aren't spending money in 2019 because of 5 guys who might be good and demand contracts in 2026-2028?

If Moncada and Eloy turn out to be really good, Robert is good, and Cease and Kopech are no worse than #3's, they aren't going to pay all of them anyway

Edited by soxfan49

9 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

In the case of the White Sox, it  better damn be Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Kopech, Cease, etc.  

If those guys fail, game over.  

Those are the guys I'm talking about. You will need money for fair offers if you want to extend.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:55 PM, fathom said:

Teddy Greenstein said on the Score that Tribune will continue not to cover Sox games on the Score due to lack of interest.  Cubs stories average 10-15 times  the number of view pages as Sox stories do.

If you believe in the power of marketing and advertising, it's easy to argue the Cubs benefit greatly from the free publicity they get. Win or lose, the papers cover them, the local sports shows their highlights, and they are talked about on local radio. 

It's a bit of chicken or egg. Are people not interested in the Sox, so they aren't covered by the media? Or, is the lack of coverage the reason people supposedly aren't interested?

The Blackhawks might be a good comparison. For so long, they were an afterthought. Home games not on tv, not covered on radio shows, and very little about them in the paper. Then Rocky took over, they hired McDonough,  media coverage increased, home games on tv, etc. Of course, getting better helped, but there was a noticeable change in the perception prior to them winning.

Not having a regular beat writer or someone local to talk about the Sox really hurts them. 

• Like 1

Being dissatisfied with the way the front office handled the ostensibly sincere interest in acquiring Harper and, or Machado, and being somewhat relieved that they weren't successful, are not mutually exclusive positions to hold. At the time, I agreed that they badly bungled the process, but at this point, I'm not unhappy that we didn't sign either of them. We are 1/3 of the way through the season, and neither one of them is coming close to performing at a level, for which they are being paid.

The greater concern remains that the Sox front office seems to be incompetent at identifying the players with the best prospects to outperform their contracts, or even meet expectations. This is probably more of a failure of their scouting department, than of Hahn, or K. W. There were some players who would have really helped this roster, on affordable contracts. The guys we acquired have been awful, with the exception of McCann. They haven't contributed and are blocking young players, whom the organization needs to give playing time, in order to determine whether, or not they have a role, going forward. Let's hope that the Sox address this apparent short coming, and can better scout players, in the future. 

• Like 2