Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

How is Theo this dumb to think hes willing to dismantle what is currently working for them only to ignore their biggest weakness? Why not sign Corbin and then move these pieces? 

He's always had a weakness for going after the biggest name free agent.

1 minute ago, RockRaines said:

IMO. The Sox aren’t in desperate need of a corner OF/future DH. They need a position player like Machado

They need to hit on either one of Harper or Machado.  Missing out on both, and having one go to the Cubs is a formula for disaster.

• Like 1

Does moving multiple pieces to get Harper really make them better.....I guess if it helps them land Bryant.

Where the Sox and Phillies look sad  is going through the gyrations for both guys to be told they were never in the running for each which seems to be the national narrative all along for Sox.

Not sure how or if that changes but the white sox are now the Bulls.

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

They need to hit on either one of Harper or Machado.  Missing out on both, and having one go to the Cubs is a formula for disaster.

I think they are doing all they can for Machado. Including acquiring his closest friend and brother in law. 

7 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Every good bat the Sox have coming up are OFers

Outside of Madrigal, yeah. The Sox are absolutely loaded with OF. Of their top 10 bats, 7 are OF. The others are Burger and Collins who are 1B/DH types. 

Jimenez

Robert

Rutherford 

Basabe

Adolfo

Walker 

Gonzalez

are all OF. 

I am actually perfectly fine using that depth to acquire MLB pieces if they were to sign Harper, but to each their own. I'd keep Eloy and Robert, but after them anyone is fair game, should Harper sign with the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

Does moving multiple pieces to get Harper really make them better.....I guess if it helps them land Bryant.

Where the Sox and Phillies look sad  is going through the gyrations for both guys to be told they were never in the running for each which seems to be the national narrative all along for Sox.

Not sure how or if that changes but the white sox are now the Bulls.

Bulls at least draw fans :)

But yes, if Sox miss on both, Reinsdorf should be ashamed at what's happened to his two franchises.  His loyalty to underperforming executives is inexcusable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Did anyone have an answer for how much would count against their luxury tax if they Cubs ate, let's say, $80M in this deal? Does that entire $80M count against their luxury tax in 2019, or is it spread out evenly over the course of his contract? 

If the Cubs reduce their payroll by $100 million and pay $80 million of that, then that $80 million is spread out over the remaining years of the deal. If there was 5 years remaining on that, then their luxury tax total would drop by $4 million per year. Any money that a team sends out in a trade is spread out evenly over the guaranteed years remaining on a contract. 

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Outside of Madrigal, yeah. The Sox are absolutely loaded with OF. Of their top 10 bats, 7 are OF. The others are Burger and Collins who are 1B/DH types. 

Jimenez

Robert

Rutherford 

Basabe

Adolfo

Walker 

Gonzalez

are all OF. 

I am actually perfectly fine using that depth to acquire MLB pieces if they were to sign Harper, but to each their own. I'd keep Eloy and Robert, but after them anyone is fair game, should Harper sign with the Sox. 

Eloy and Luis are corners to me. So why block them for five years?  I just don’t get the Harper fit unless hes your future 1B

Another shitty thing to consider is that if Harper is making it to obvious that he wants to go to the Cubs, then there is a chance he signs some sort of sweetheart deal as well. Boras has no leverage if Harper is telegraphing this so poorly.

There is a very high chance the Cubs don't get him for cheaper than the Sox or anyone else is willing to offer. Must be nice.

4 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

The cubs will unload whatever it takes was what I heard. And Harper is waiting for it

If Harper is that set on wanting to be a Cub then I don’t want him anyways. That just means he had his mind set from the start and wasted all these teams time meeting with them for it to play out the way he preferred in the end. And if any team knows this, and actually helps the cubs get him by taking their financial burdens away from them after they signed the “bad” contract they are trying to get rid of should be punished or shunned by fans of baseball. 

I personally hope Harper took this process to heart, with an open mind and the mind frame we heard about from some reports. That he wanted to go somewhere and be the “guy” and face of the franchise. I hope he takes this once in a lifetime chance to cash in what he dreamt about since he was 18 and gets paid and goes to the place he feels gives him the best chance to be the “guy”. I would respect him as a fan if he makes his decision with his head and not heart and goes to that team.

if he goes to the Cubs he will never be the guy. The Cubs have been established for a few years now and adding him for the next few seasons wouldn’t make him be the guy and franchise player. They have Rizzo, Bryant, and Baez already established. Bryce would just be one of the “big four” or five or whatever. If he takes less money and years to play with his bestie then in my eyes he belongs on the Northside.

As much as it would suck that we missed out on potentially both the prized FA in the last decade or so, and even more so if it was to the Cubs and the non stop BS we would have to endure from the so called baseball fans to our North. I’ll wait for the guy that has that chip in his shoulder like all Whitesox fans and most players Whitesox fans get behind and root for. I’ll wait for that guy that wants to come to Chicago and put the Southside on the map. I think we are well on our way already but need that player to put us over the edge and on the radar. I think and hope Bryce or Manny is that guy.

But we shall see....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frank_Thomas said:

If Harper is that set on wanting to be a Cub then I don’t want him anyways. That just means he had his mind set from the start and wasted all these teams time meeting with them for it to play out the way he preferred in the end. And if any team knows this, and actually helps the cubs get him by taking their financial burdens away from them after they signed the “bad” contract they are trying to get rid of should be punished or shunned by fans of baseball. 

The funny thing is that the team that trades for Heyward, Schwarber and prospects is likely going to get a great deal.  Think of the players the Reds got in return for Homer Bailey. 

Just now, fathom said:

The funny thing is that the team that trades for Heyward, Schwarber and prospects is likely going to get a great deal.  Think of the players the Reds got in return for Homer Bailey. 

If I were offered a top end prospect, Almora, and Shwarber to take on most of Heyward,  I would do it happily.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Dodgers got some good prospects and in 12 months none of those 3 were Resigning with the Dodgers.  Money had little to do with that trade it was giving up 3 guys to open spots for guys and adding to the farm at the same time.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils