Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hasn’t he been a slightly below average defensive corner OF prior to last season?  And the odds him playing out his contract are pretty small, so I doubt he’d ever play 1B for them.

They'd have to move Rizzo to make that happen...and there's also a good possibility if Contreras starts wearing down as a catcher they'd want to get him time at 1B as well (depending on whether his offense bounces back.)

Nice to see they are still negotiating.

Yankees/Dodgers seem to be in enviable seat where they can just see what others offer and figure out what gets them close enough to sign since they appear to be preferred destinations. I hope sox make it as uncomfortable as possible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:
27 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Harper meeting with Philly now is interesting.  To me it kinda indicates his market isn't as hot as they thought it'd be.

There is no market. We are the market (White Sox). 

Nats tapped out at 10/300 and went other ways.

Dodgers/Cubs aren't realistic, no matter what fan boy dreams want to say. Both teams don't gain the marketing advantage that Harper brings and wouldn't be worth his value AND the cubs have serious financial issues while the Dodgers are more inclined to go other ways (Realmuto/Kluber/Pollock potentially). 

White Sox obviously would love Harper, but Harper probably doesn't want to be a W'Sox.

Yankees don't need an OF and are even hesitant on signing Machado for a big contract. Their out. 

Phillies have the need like us and the money, but Harper apparently dislikes them more than the W'Sox.

There is no market for Harper. 

• Love 2

5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

There is no market. We are the market (White Sox). 

Nats tapped out at 10/300 and went other ways.

Dodgers/Cubs aren't realistic, no matter what fan boy dreams want to say. Both teams don't gain the marketing advantage that Harper brings and wouldn't be worth his value AND the cubs have serious financial issues while the Dodgers are more inclined to go other ways (Realmuto/Kluber/Pollock potentially). 

White Sox obviously would love Harper, but Harper probably doesn't want to be a W'Sox.

Yankees don't need an OF and are even hesitant on signing Machado for a big contract. Their out. 

Phillies have the need like us and the money, but Harper apparently dislikes them more than the W'Sox.

There is no market for Harper. 

Hey this is good point on Harper.

1 minute ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

So Harper's best option, is to take the most lucrative deal that gives the earliest opt out, if he doesn't want to play for Phil or Chisox?  That is what I conclude anyway

My guess is that he waits until Machado signs, thus putting even more pressure on phillies/sox (whomever doesn't get Machado) to ante up for Harper.

I'd agree that the early opt outs would be a big + for him.

He is a very special case where his marketing buzz would be incredibly beneficial to teams with no buzz (White Sox), but his overall play is nowhere near worth a 400 mill contract. 

I mean, as a fan, I want him on my team 100% and couldn't care about the money, but if I was a business man in an organization such as the Dodgers, there's no way in hell I'd go and get him. 

Just look @ Stanton's value for comparision (and Stanton IMO is a better producer than Harper has been recently, at least 2 years ago). Stanton signed that huge contract, slugged some 50+++ home runs, and gets traded for nothing because his value is equal or worse than his contract.

Harper is going to get a bigger contract than that AND likely produce less and may potentially be a liability on defense thus shoving him to 1b/DH. There's no winning in this contract for the big markets like Cubs/Dodgers/Yankees. The win comes from the marketability offset by teams like the White Sox and possibly the Phillies. 

• Like 4

2012 to 2018 analysis of Harper vs. Stanton : https://mlbcomparisons.com/bryce-harper-vs-giancarlo-stanton-comparison/

Closer than I thought, but Stanton has 26.7 WAR and Harper has 22.2 WAR.

Stanton, after an MVP caliber season, was traded for nothing to the Yankees to get out of his salary proving that even hitting like an MVP can't equal the value of the contract.

Wherever Harper signs, it's almost a 100% guaranteed lose on performance value.  There's no reason for Dodgers/Cubs/Yankees to ever go down this route for Harper. 

That's why his only market is us (White Sox) and the Phillies. Both teams who are fortunate to have a ton of salary room AND need the marketing of him. 

For those afraid of the Cubs here, you can almost guarantee that if they sign him, it's an overall loss on their value immediately and would be the final nail in their coffin when it comes to FA signings (heyward / Darvish, etc.) 

The only scary thing for us W'Sox fans might be if Harper decides to do a shorter term contract in which case it opens up his market, but I doubt he takes a smaller contract since he's been projected for so long now to get the biggest contract in MLB history. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

1 minute ago, aeichhor said:

Rosenthal on hot stove said that Dodgers don't want to go to a long term deal for harper

Always thought if Harper signs with Cubs or Dodgers, it would still be for long-term deal (for luxury tax reasons), but it would be so front loaded before an early opt-out that it would make little sense for him to stay there past the opt-out year.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils