Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

For those afraid of the Cubs here, you can almost guarantee that if they sign him, it's an overall loss on their value immediately and would be the final nail in their coffin when it comes to FA signings (heyward / Darvish, etc.) 

From a business perspective, getting Harper could help the Cubs increase their subscription numbers for their new network.

Just now, fathom said:

From a business perspective, getting Harper could help the Cubs increase their subscription numbers for their new network.

I doubt that.. the cubs are a juggernaut. Sure it might help them reel in a small percentage more, but compare the percentage increase with a team like the White Sox. 

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I doubt that.. the cubs are a juggernaut. Sure it might help them reel in a small percentage more, but compare the percentage increase with a team like the White Sox. 

No doubt the Sox have more incentive than anyone, but that means nothing to Harper. Just means Sox need to be more desperate than other teams.

39 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Harper meeting with Philly now is interesting.  To me it kinda indicates his market isn't as hot as they thought it'd be.

What’s interesting is that article mentions they have not met with Bryce yet and only Boras.  Obviously this is just my speculation, but it makes me wonder if they don’t like their chances for Machado.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s interesting is that article mentions they have not met with Bryce yet and only Boras.  Obviously this is just my speculation, but it makes me wonder if they don’t like their chances for Machado.

While I don't disagree with that at all, wouldn't you think Harper wouldn't be so inclined to meet with them had his market developed otherwise?  

I really feel that if Harper doesn't sign with the Sox, it wont be for lack of effort. He will be leaving a lot of money on the table. If he does that and doesn't want to be a White Sox player that bad than let him go. When we are winning championships, he will wish he had signed.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know man, their ratings are already through the roof and Harper can’t really change that IMO.

Precisely. Even if we grant that Harper does increase them a certain (small) percentage, we are talking about a $400 million contract. A small percentage increase vs. an albatross of a contract is not a win here. 

Compare to the significantly larger percentage increase for a team like the White Sox and we see why it would only make sense for us. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

No doubt the Sox have more incentive than anyone, but that means nothing to Harper. Just means Sox need to be more desperate than other teams.

It does mean something for Harper because he can get a taste of those benefits via an inflated contract.  Teams with the most potential synergies should be able to offer much more money.  It’s win win for sides to go where value creation is maximized.

The only teams that will give Harper the contract he is projected are the White Sox and the Phillies. NO other teams are possibilities. The Dodgers have a very tiny 2% chance of doing something completely illogical  based on their great analytical success as of recently, but not likely (and they've even stated as much in recent rumors). If Harper doesn't sign with the Phillies/White Sox it will be because he had to get very creative with a significantly lower than projected contract, but I can't imagine that possibility since he was long projected to get the biggest MLB contract ever and I'm sure Boras wants that.

The oddball would be if Phillies/White Sox aren't offering that much, maybe they are playing the market and offering 300 mill or something.  

Edited by iWiN4PreP

7 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

While I don't disagree with that at all, wouldn't you think Harper wouldn't be so inclined to meet with them had his market developed otherwise?  

That’s also true, I think Harper’s market is pretty much just the Phillies and us (unless he prepared to take huge discount), so he has no choice but to meet with the Phillies.  I just find the timing of this leak a little odd and maybe that suggests there is more to it.

12 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

At this point, I think Harper's best option is to sign a front loaded deal with the Sox and then opt out and sign elsewhere in 4-5 years. This way, he would have one of the highest AAV's during his "prime years" and still be able to cash in on the free agent market again at age 30 or 31. 

If I’m Boras I’d immediately advise against that. Especially seeing how the market has trended negatively towards players receiving lucrative deals on the other end of 30. If Harper doesn’t justify the first 4-5 years, he’s potentially losing 100’s of millions of dollars. Negotiating the most guaranteed money should always be the goal if I’m an agent. As Stanton and Arod have shown, going to a winning ballclub is an objective which can be reached at a later date. 

5 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

If I’m Boras I’d immediately advise against that. Especially seeing how the market has trended negatively towards players receiving lucrative deals on the other end of 30. If Harper doesn’t justify the first 4-5 years, he’s potentially losing 100’s of millions of dollars. Negotiating the most guaranteed money should always be the goal if I’m an agent. As Stanton and Arod have shown, going to a winning ballclub is an objective which can be reached at a later date. 

The player opt out are guaranteed money. If he plays well he opts out and gets more. If his play declines, he doesn't opt out and continues with the contract. It's a no lose situation for the players.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know man, their ratings are already through the roof and Harper can’t really change that IMO.

Yeah but if you’re about to start charging significantly more for viewing your games, it doesn’t hurt at all.

56 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

The only teams that will give Harper the contract he is projected are the White Sox and the Phillies. NO other teams are possibilities. The Dodgers have a very tiny 2% chance of doing something completely illogical  based on their great analytical success as of recently, but not likely (and they've even stated as much in recent rumors). If Harper doesn't sign with the Phillies/White Sox it will be because he had to get very creative with a significantly lower than projected contract, but I can't imagine that possibility since he was long projected to get the biggest MLB contract ever and I'm sure Boras wants that.

The oddball would be if Phillies/White Sox aren't offering that much, maybe they are playing the market and offering 300 mill or something.  

This is pretty much what I have been wrestling with in my head since the Dodgers/Cubs rumors started up for Harper.  I just don't see how Dodgers/Cubs will be able to come anywhere near what the Phils/White Sox will even after unloading.  I think the Dodgers make way more sense to go after Kluber, but maybe that is just me.

Few notes:

1) Only way Nats are back in on Harper is if the $$$ has been dramatically reduced and us fans are over projecting things. I could see it be possible if it is indeed true that the White Sox aren't offering big. I find this line of thinking very doubtful tho, can't imagine the White Sox not committing here when they knew what they were getting into. As long as Harper is getting the big contract that everybody expects, he's not going to the Nats. 

2) If the White Sox are indeed offering poor offers, that's a slap in the face to the fans and shows how piss poor this organization is. That remains to be seen, however, as I still feel confident that they will strike. 

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Harper is a 5 WAR player?  Odd as I only see 1 fWAR season at that level during his career.  Is Avi a 4 WAR player?

He's saying the amounts are that of a 5-WAR player. Not that Harper is one.

Edit: it's been a long day of year-end close so I may have mis-interpreted it myself lol

Edited by soxfan2014

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils