Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Does anyone still think that the White Sox remotely even have a chance with Harper at this point? You can make a great arguement for why he should, but I just don’t see anyway we land him. I would say our odds are around 10%. Have to think that we would have to considerably beat the Phillies offer, which I am assuming will be around 10-year, $350 million. Would think that we’d have to be at 10-year, $400 million, and I don’t see that happening if we’re right around $200 million for Manny Machado. However, I keep seeing them sox as one of the finalists. That has to be smoke from Boras trying to drive up offers.

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Does anyone still think that the White Sox remotely even have a chance with Harper at this point? You can make a great arguement for why he should, but I just don’t see anyway we land him. I would say our odds are around 10%. Have to think that we would have to considerably beat the Phillies offer, which I am assuming will be around 10-year, $350 million. Would think that we’d have to be at 10-year, $400 million, and I don’t see that happening if we’re right around $200 million for Manny Machado. However, I keep seeing them sox as one of the finalists. That has to be smoke from Boras trying to drive up offers.

Is 350 million the going rate for a good but far from great player?  Throw out his best and worse season and he averages 3.9 WAR.  

2 hours ago, Justinsettle said:

Is 350 million the going rate for a good but far from great player?  Throw out his best and worse season and he averages 3.9 WAR.  

If he rejected a 10-year, $300 million deal with Washington, I would guess his offer will be around $325 million to $350 million.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Nats aren’t legit threats for Harper

The real trick with the Nationals remains 2020. Right now, if they pick up the available options for guys like Eaton, Zimmerman, Gomes, etc - they would have over $200 million committed next year, and with how the tax numbers work out their luxury tax number would be well over $210 without adding anyone. Their tax number this year is already over $200 million, and they were a taxpaying team last year. If they were to sign Harper, they would wind up in the 3 year offender penallties. They'd be absolutely guaranteed of being $20 million over the tax this year and subject to a 42.5% penalty this year as multi-year repeat offenders, and if I'm reading this right next year they could be subject to a 62.5% penalty. 

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The real trick with the Nationals remains 2020. Right now, if they pick up the available options for guys like Eaton, Zimmerman, Gomes, etc - they would have over $200 million committed next year, and with how the tax numbers work out their luxury tax number would be well over $210 without adding anyone. Their tax number this year is already over $200 million, and they were a taxpaying team last year. If they were to sign Harper, they would wind up in the 3 year offender penallties. They'd be absolutely guaranteed of being $20 million over the tax this year and subject to a 42.5% penalty this year as multi-year repeat offenders, and if I'm reading this right next year they could be subject to a 62.5% penalty. 

Don't the 3rd year offenders also lose draft picks or is that the next year?

7 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

What do we think the Harper holdup is? If the Phillies made an offer, I would think it was a pretty big one. And we know the Nationals are around $300 million, as well.

Machado is the hold up.  He won't sign until Machado is wrapped up.

3 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

What do we think the Harper holdup is? If the Phillies made an offer, I would think it was a pretty big one. And we know the Nationals are around $300 million, as well.

No, the nationals are no longer there. They are out and their old offer is off the table after they've made numerous moves since.

Phillies are the only market with an off chance that the White Sox are in hard. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils