Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 hour ago, Frank_Thomas said:

Not sure if this was posted or not. Prob bs but found it doing the daily twitter search for Harper rumors.

https://mobile.twitter.com/unaballer100/status/1074153785008758785

Alot of others saying Bryce to LAD which has been discussed throughly. And some saying he was at STL airport yesterday. Plus someone posted that Kenye Twitted Bryce called he’s going to the Dodgers. 

Ricky's powerpoint skills are on point!

20 hours ago, fathom said:

And Buster basically implied yesterday that the reporters pumping up the Sox interest in a huge deal is because they work for MLB

That or it could be agents trying to extract more dollars from other teams. Like we all know the game the whitesox have a low payroll and the feeling is around the league is they have money to spend.

If you were a player why wouldn't you pump up their interest as much as you could.

Starting to get the feeling, as some in the media have mentioned, that the offers for Harper are just not what they were expecting at all. I believe that Boras was thinking that the top offers would be in the 10-year, $400 million to 12-year, $424 Million, and that is simply just not happening. 

There seems to be so few teams in the running, that I dont think they feel like they need to bid against themselves. 

If I had to guess, I would say that the best offer as of right now is probably 10-year, $300 million to 10-year, $325 million.

5 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Starting to get the feeling, as some in the media have mentioned, that the offers for Harper are just not what they were expecting at all. I believe that Boras was thinking that the top offers would be in the 10-year, $400 million to 12-year, $424 Million, and that is simply just not happening. 

There seems to be so few teams in the running, that I dont think they feel like they need to bid against themselves. 

If I had to guess, I would say that the best offer as of right now is probably 10-year, $300 million to 10-year, $325 million.

Yeah, I predicted he would sign for 325-350

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

If that is true, we need to be at 10 and 350. 

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Man that Rosenthal article was excellent and this was a bit that makes sense to me too:

For the moment, the team is committed to Cody Bellinger in center, but A.J. Pollock’s ability to play that position might actually make him a better free-agent fit than Harper, provided the Dodgers indeed trade other outfielders. Pollock has not played more than 113 games in a season since 2015, but the Dodgers – due to their depth and versatility – could withstand his absences more easily than most clubs. He would be the position-player version of left-hander Rich Hill, valued for bursts of excellence in limited action. And he would be considerably less expensive than Harper, likely commanding a contract in the three- or four-year range at around $15 million per season.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

...and I don’t blame them.  I don’t love the idea of massive long-term free agent contracts either, and if the Sox were in the middle of their window of contention I’d want them to steer clear of these kinds of signings.  But we are in a unique situation where we should be willing to swallow it because this would be so important to jump starting our rebuild.  Really hoping the true market for the terms these guys want winnows down to the two “desperate” teams (Sox/Phils).

• Like 1

Not to go all WrathofHahn on you guys, but I do wonder if the market for these two guys just isn't what they had hoped.  Its really the Sox and Phillies, and then maybe the Dodgers and Yankees if the price is right (sub $300M?).  While I don't think we're getting either of these guys for anything south of $40M AAV for the first 5 seasons, I would not be surprised if these guys only slightly eclipse Stanton's $325M over 10 years, and could see it effectively being a 4 or 5 year deal between $40-45M AAV with the opt outs.  I WOULD be surprised if the bidding nears $400M.  

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not to go all WrathofHahn on you guys, but I do wonder if the market for these two guys just isn't what they had hoped.  Its really the Sox and Phillies, and then maybe the Dodgers and Yankees if the price is right (sub $300M?).  While I don't think we're getting either of these guys for anything south of $40M AAV for the first 5 seasons, I would not be surprised if these guys only slightly eclipse Stanton's $325M over 10 years, and could see it effectively being a 4 or 5 year deal between $40-45M AAV with the opt outs.  I WOULD be surprised if the bidding nears $400M.  

It seems like this always happens where people get their hopes up for a cheap deal, and then one team caves and throws assloads of money at the player and the whole world  is shocked when it happened.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils