Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Yep! This is definitely going to be a hard one to get over. Last night I went to bed believing the "sources" and to be calm that it would get done. In the end, it's not their fault we have a terrible owner!

Terrible owner and front office. Don't let them off the hook just because ownership employs them. JR might be in the background, but the one in the dunce cap today is Rick Hahn and Rick Hahn alone. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Terrible owner and front office. Don't let them off the hook just because ownership employs them. JR might be in the background, but the one in the dunce cap today is Rick Hahn and Rick Hahn alone. 

I didn't mean to leave out RH and KW. Lord knows I've roasted them enough in other posts. Thanks for pointing the spotlight on RH too!

10/326 is totally reasonable for Harper.

Signing him would put the Sox back on the map.

The Sox have a real problem when it comes to brand engagement right now.

Sure, most people venting here or on twitter will be back no matter what, but the overall issue is not that people are angry.

People simply do not care anymore.

Will it happen though? LOL NO because we won't have the money to sign the Melky Cabreras of this world.

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Like 3

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

10/326 is totally reasonable for Harper.

Signing him would put the Sox back on the map.

The Sox have a real problem when it comes to brand engagement right now.

Sure, most people venting here or on twitter will be back no matter what, but the overall issue is not that people are angry.

People simply do not care anymore.

Will it happen though? LOL NO

I truly think they lose some diehards this offseason if they don’t land one of Machado/Harper. I don’t think people are blowing smoke today.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NCsoxfan said:

I truly think they lose some diehards this offseason if they don’t land one of Machado/Harper. I don’t think people are blowing smoke today.

It would still be laughable that they thought they could sneak a $50 million discount out of Machado by employing his friends for 1 year, but yeah that's the choice they have today. Spend more to make up for their idiocy, or just let the fan base wither more. 

• Like 2

I've heard nothing that the sox are in on Harper today. Just the giants and phillies. Here's to hoping the org grows a pair and finally does something. I've wanted Harper over Machado this whole time, and I've felt a weird gut feeling he would sign here. We will see, would definitely make the fanbase feel appreciated finally. 

3 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

I've heard nothing that the sox are in on Harper today. Just the giants and phillies. Here's to hoping the org grows a pair and finally does something. I've wanted Harper over Machado this whole time, and I've felt a weird gut feeling he would sign here. We will see, would definitely make the fanbase feel appreciated finally. 

If you take KW at his word, they cannot guarantee one player $300 million because they will not have enough money to build a total team. So probably no chance.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

If you take KW at his word, they cannot guarantee one player $300 million because they will not have enough money to build a total team. So probably no chance.

Could be a lie to throw off the other suitors. In reality anything is possible. But we know this orgs track history so you're most likely right.

Instead of Hahn saying they aren’t going to convert on everyone, I think White Sox fans understand this about as well as any fan base, maybe he could actually say, we are going to convert on a premium free agent. 

With Renton and Arenado, if the Sox were only going 8 years with Machado will they even go 5 with them?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

There's a quote in the Athletic from the Phillies yesterday saying that the agent gave the Phillies a chance to say they would do $300 guaranteed and the Phillies said they would not do that. The White Sox basically got the same call and stuck with a $250 million guarantee with 2 vesting options. The Padres said they would do the $300 guarantee. 2 teams said no and 1 team said yes.

Maybe the Phillies really wanted Harper. We shall see

Ok, serious talk time.  We all know that Machado was in town to meet with the Sox, but does anyone know if the pitch that was given to him was about the same as they did for Harper?  The pictures that leaked from the United Center, sending out Thome, etc for Harper.  Was the same type of treatment done for Machado?  Sure, he came to meet with the top brass here, but it sure seems like they went harder on Harper before ever commenting on Machado.

Remember, all the Harper stuff leaked first.  I still think that was their main target all along.  You can't possibly tell me that they didn't know the price tag to sign him before meeting him.  Boras would have said, it's 300 million minimum, don't waste our time otherwise.  I honestly feel like they did truly want both and tried to get Machado on a discount and were willing to pay for Harper.  If it comes out that they never put a serious offer in for Harper, then fuck the entire front office for lying to remaining loyal fans they have left.  Hahn should be out of a job if there wasn't even an offer close to the 300 million talked about at the start of FA for Harper.

All that said, they knew full well going in to this FOR MONTHS what it would likely cost to get either of these guys money wise.  How they could possibly be blindsided by their low ball offers is beyond me.

Also, if the Phillies were that close to signing Harper, it would have happened after Machado signed.  I'd like to believe that means our FO isn't totally fucking clueless and has some sort of an idea how to sign free agents that aren't over pays like they have this entire off season.  Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Ok, serious talk time.  We all know that Machado was in town to meet with the Sox, but does anyone know if the pitch that was given to him was about the same as they did for Harper?  The pictures that leaked from the United Center, sending out Thome, etc for Harper.  Was the same type of treatment done for Machado?  Sure, he came to meet with the top brass here, but it sure seems like they went harder on Harper before ever commenting on Machado.

Remember, all the Harper stuff leaked first.  I still think that was their main target all along.  You can't possibly tell me that they didn't know the price tag to sign him before meeting him.  Boras would have said, it's 300 million minimum, don't waste our time otherwise.  I honestly feel like they did truly want both and tried to get Machado on a discount and were willing to pay for Harper.  If it comes out that they never put a serious offer in for Harper, then fuck the entire front office for lying to remaining loyal fans they have left.  Hahn should be out of a job if there wasn't even an offer close to the 300 million talked about at the start of FA for Harper.

All that said, they knew full well going in to this FOR MONTHS what it would likely cost to get either of these guys money wise.  How they could possibly be blindsided by their low ball offers is beyond me.

Also, if the Phillies were that close to signing Harper, it would have happened after Machado signed.  I'd like to believe that means our FO isn't totally fucking clueless and has some sort of an idea how to sign free agents that aren't over pays like they have this entire off season.  Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Dude I totally agree with you. Harper was the original target. I've always felt that. Harper doesn't want to go to Philly. That's a big thing for him and his wife, where they live. At least in Chicago they can be with the Bryant's. I have a feeling we have quite a chance at getting Harper, more than most sox fans would think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

In all honesty this couldn’t have played out any worse for Boras, he is left with the Phillies offer and the shit show of the Chicago Whitesox who are incompetent so basically the Phillies, so any real chance to drive up harpers price in my opinion went out the window

You underestimate Boras. I bet Harper will get $325-350 before it is over which could be as early as tomorrow.  tomorrow.