Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

I think Harper is worth more than 300 mil, simply cause he can bring the White Sox a lot more value, he's liked more.  I know a lot of Sox fans who dislike Machado simply because of his johnny hustle comments. On the other hand, they adore Harper because he's a likeable guy. Take into consideration that these Sox fans aren't diehard fans, but they spend a lot of money at games, merchandise. I say try for Harper, it would def put more butts in the seats than Machado.

14 minutes ago, Machado2Sox said:

Ah thanks, I missed the key word “both”.

if this is truly the case, perhaps they have a shot at Harper.  But if they failed at Machado’s eventual price when the Padres paid up, I don’t see things changing when the Phillies inevitably pay up for Harper and it’s a number that is out of the Sox comfort level, just like Machado’s Padres deal.

Again, it is not a valid assumption that they view both players the same way. Look at it like this. They originally hoped to be able to sign both Harper and Machado. The more desirable player was Harper and they knew that he would cost more. They were hoping to get Machado for a little less, which would have really made the acquisition of both more feasible. They did indeed almost get Machado and not for exactly "chump change". However, the bigger prize for the Sox may have always been Harper.

Now that they still have almost all of the financial resources, which they were prepared to spend on both, minus what they spent on short term commitments to Manny's friends, they can afford to be very aggressive in their pursuit of Harper. I really think that it is a mistake to equate how they approached the Machado negotiations, with the way they may now pursue Harper. Moreover, if this suggestion that J. R. was serious about going after both of them is true, the accusations that he is "cheap" are completely unjustified. Don't lose hope. Hey, it's all we have, right?

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

Oh man, I just moved to Florida and miss deep dish pizza so much.

I was told recently that outside of Chicago, more rare even than deep dish pizza is a good italian beef sandwich.  My nephew said that when he had a semester away in Germany in college he tried to explain what an italian beef sandwich was to someone from the East Coast and the guy responded "Oh you mean like Arby's?"  😱

I feel like I've turned the negativity into some positivity. If we lose out on Harper too then we have room to be super pissed but I truly feel they are in on Harper 100 percent. They are a business on top of being a sports team. They have rehearsed answers and leak shit on purpose to get the media to spread stuff to make competitors think they were doing something else.

Do I truly think hahn gave a shit that they missed out on Machado? No. He's a business man. He moved on the second lozano said they weren't getting Machado. 

Onto Harper. If they fail with him then we have reasons to riot.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Instantly discredit bob. Another person I don't trust. He's been wrong so many times this off-season alone. And he got called out from lozano personally. Don't believe this shit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

I feel like I've turned the negativity into some positivity. If we lose out on Harper too then we have room to be super pissed but I truly feel they are in on Harper 100 percent. They are a business on top of being a sports team. They have rehearsed answers and leak shit on purpose to get the media to spread stuff to make competitors think they were doing something else.

Do I truly think hahn gave a shit that they missed out on Machado? No. He's a business man. He moved on the second lozano said they weren't getting Machado. 

Onto Harper. If they fail with him then we have reasons to riot.

Not trying to rain on your parade but what about any of their comments today make you optimistic about Harper. KW literally said they couldn't go to 300 mil. They're not going there for Bryce.

Just now, Sockin said:

Not trying to rain on your parade but what about any of their comments today make you optimistic about Harper. KW literally said they couldn't go to 300 mil. They're not going there for Bryce.

It's a business dude. Everything is rehearsed. It you truly believe what these execs said then you don't understand businesses. Everything is rehearsed and controlled. They will never say something that will jeopardize another potential move. 

3 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

It's a business dude. Everything is rehearsed. It you truly believe what these execs said then you don't understand businesses. Everything is rehearsed and controlled. They will never say something that will jeopardize another potential move. 

These clowns are no where near that professional. 

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

Honestly, the Sox could be in the same situation with Harper as they were with Machado except more money will be required to sign him.  It seems there may be only one competing team (Phillies) for Harper’s services if the Nationals have truly withdrawn their $300 million dollar offer and the Giants only want him on a short-term deal.  Harper also helps you recoup his contract money more than Machado with ticket sales, merchandise sales, and endorsements.  He is a much bigger fan draw than Machado and is also on the cover of MLB The Show this year.  But if Reinsdorf’s framework for a Harper deal is below the Phillies offer just like the Machado deal was under the Padres offer, none of this matters.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Thanks 1