Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Spotrac has their competitive balance payroll (including an estimated $14 mill in player benefits) at about $173 mill. The Giants would probably have to deal away a little bit of salary to make it work (probably a reliever or two like Dyson, Smith, or Watson or Joe Panik).

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

How can the Giants take on Heyward if they sign Harper?

Sign and trade. They can't trade Harper until like May, so they'll sit him for a month and then trade him for Heyward. The salaries don't even out, so the Cubs will likely have to give up Darvish to make it work. Regardless, the Giants are well aware that it's Theo's league, so they are going to make this happen.

How long before the cat chimes in: “Giants interest in Harper is all a smoke screen to make the Cubs bring down asking price on Heyward. The Cubs are actually meeting with Harper right now 🤫🤫 #hotstove🔥” 

Edited by Orlando
  • Haha 4

Just now, Orlando said:

How long before the cat chimes in: “Giants interest in Harper is all a smoke screen to make the Cubs willing to deal Heyward. The Cubs are actually meeting with Harper right now 🤫🤫 #🔥hotstove”

I don't know, but I know that tweet will come roughly 5 minutes before Fathom quotes it and says "Bad news, guys."

• Haha 12
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think the Giants would trade for Heyward but maybe are waiting until Harper is off the market. 

Nobody is taking Heyward's 5 year remaining contract off the Cubs hands without getting a huge ransom in return, or dumping an equally bad contract. 

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So they aren't taking on Heyward so that the Cubs can get Harper?  DAMN YOU CHARLES, THAT'S A BAD KITTY!!!!

That is exactly what I think is happening.  After Harper signs I think the Giants and cubs do bad contracts for bad contracts.  Giants can't control where he goes but I don't think they are helping a fellow NL team get him.

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

That is exactly what I think is happening.  After Harper signs I think the Giants and cubs do bad contracts for bad contracts.  Giants can't control where he goes but I don't think they are helping a fellow NL team get him.

But do the Giants have any contracts bad enough to make them want Heyward's deal? Cueto is going to miss 2019 and was injured all last year, but I don't think they have seen enough to decide that he's shot and unload him. I think they'd much rather have him for 2020 than Heyward.

1 hour ago, Roughneck said:

But do the Giants have any contracts bad enough to make them want Heyward's deal? Cueto is going to miss 2019 and was injured all last year, but I don't think they have seen enough to decide that he's shot and unload him. I think they'd much rather have him for 2020 than Heyward.

Samardzija and Melancon

3 hours ago, Sockin said:

JFC

This is Heyman playing the part of Daryl the Dog countering Charles the Cat...

CTC: “Giants in talks w Cubs to take on Heyward so Cubs can sign Bryce...”

DTD: “Giants have an epiphany and realize they can just try to sign Bryce themselves...”

11 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

He's gotta be tweeting this trash just for attention at this point...

The best part of this is who exactly is supposed to be his source?  Like no one other than Harper or Boras knows if he’d be willing to settle for a 2 or 3 year deal and if so it would likely be with the Cubs.  But at the same time, he’s tweeting about potential Heyward trades to the Giants.  It should be clear as fuck to anyone that Charles the Cat is just making shit up or is the most connected dude in the world.

11 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I've got cub friends that retweet Charles as gospel and truly believe they're getting Harper. They're getting all riled up like it's only a matter of time. 

My schadenfreude is strong on this one. I say keep it going, Mr. Cat!

It's never made sense, and it still doesn't make sense.  Why would Harper take a 2-3 year deal?  Are you really telling me can't get an opt out in a 8-10 year deal that would get him out in a similar time frame? 

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's never made sense, and it still doesn't make sense.  Why would Harper take a 2-3 year deal?  Are you really telling me can't get an opt out in a 8-10 year deal that would get him out in a similar time frame? 

Yep.  You don't hire Scott Boras if you intend in settling.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils