Kyyle23

6 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Brandon Crawford 15 mill, 15 mill
Brandon Belt 17 mill, 17 mill
Evan Longoria $15 mill, 15 mill
Johnny Cueto 22 mill, 22 mill
Jeff Samardzija 20 mill, 20 mill
Mark Melancon 14 mill, 14 mill

That's about 110 million for the next couple of years. 

Looking at those contracts will lead you to the conclusion that their in a disastrous financial situation for the next 2 years. 

I'd agree that's bad money but I definitely wouldn't call it a disaster if what I've heard about their revenue and assets is true. If it came down to it, I think they have the money to spend with the Yankees. Here's a report saying that they just finished paying off their $170 million a year mortgage on the stadium, and they're apparently about to start a 28 acre development project on one of their old parking lots that will produce huge revenue amounts given that housing market. Plus this year in particular they might have another tenant for 8 games - the Raiders. In about 10 years their ownership might be able to fill a room with gold coins that they swim in.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd agree that's bad money but I definitely wouldn't call it a disaster if what I've heard about their revenue and assets is true. If it came down to it, I think they have the money to spend with the Yankees. Here's a report saying that they just finished paying off their $170 million a year mortgage on the stadium, and they're apparently about to start a 28 acre development project on one of their old parking lots that will produce huge revenue amounts given that housing market. Plus this year in particular they might have another tenant for 8 games - the Raiders. In about 10 years their ownership might be able to fill a room with gold coins that they swim in.

It looks like they are roughly 40 million away from the luxury tax in 2019 if I am reading it right. Signing Harper would put them beneath it, but against it. 

Their financial situation combined with their horrendous team make up is what makes Harper going to the Giants such a long shot that us fans can safely ignore the interest. As even with Harper, they'd have to somehow add significant pieces to their team for it to make any sense. Especially since the SFG is a big market team that won't see the huge benefits in marketing from a guy like Harper. 

I think Harper sweepstakes is the following:
1. Phillies (only thing stopping them is whether or not Harper is cool with joining Philly)
distant 2. White Sox (unlikely due to front office not wanting to go both Machado and Harper)
very distant but possible 3: San Diego Padres 

Don't think any other team in the MLB has a shot here. I could see teams like the Cubs join in if indeed Harper is going short-term.

19 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Brandon Crawford 15 mill, 15 mill
Brandon Belt 17 mill, 17 mill
Evan Longoria $15 mill, 15 mill
Johnny Cueto 22 mill, 22 mill
Jeff Samardzija 20 mill, 20 mill
Mark Melancon 14 mill, 14 mill

That's about 110 million for the next couple of years. 

Looking at those contracts will lead you to the conclusion that their in a disastrous financial situation for the next 2 years. 

Looking at those salaries, how can people complain that free agency is unfair.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Looking at those salaries, how can people complain that free agency is unfair.

Well, I think the argument would suggest that front offices are *finally* starting to buck the trend here and are realizing how much they are losing by signing these guys to big time contracts after their more productive years.

The bottom line is that these players are coming up to the big leagues not making much, spending their (likely) most productive years making rookie contract money for years, and then hitting free agency after the fact. It truly is broken and just not right. Eloy would have been up last year if it wasn't for this system. 

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Again, how do you think they’re paying for this real estate development?  And your article says it will take seven to 10 years to complete.  This is a long-term investment for them and it will most likely take quite a while before it pays back & provides the team with significant revenue.

All we've heard on the Sox for the last month was on their pursuit of Machado. I just hope the Sox have been smart and been in constant contact with Harper's people throughout this whole thing, even if it seems like Machado is their top target. If Manny signs elsewhere, they put themselves in a situation where they pretty much have to land Harper.

Just now, Orlando said:

I just keep going back to Sox fest. Rick Hahn mentioned “offers to premium free agents”. Maybe they have a nice offer out for Harper and that’s their guy. Who knows at this point.

I think them adding Alonso and Jay makes it pretty clear that Manny is their top target. I don't see how adding them and seemingly shifting focus to Manny would give them any leverage with Harper. I just hope that the Sox have been pushing just as strong on Harper this whole time. And we have no reason to think that they haven't, since we're hearing nothing from anybody on Harper.

38 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I'm guessing Phillies, Padres, Giants, Nats.

I don't think the Sox were ever that serious about signing Harper.

I would not say that at all. Theyve been connected to him more than anyone outside the Phillies. Harpers recruitment has been a lot more quiet in general than Mannys (not that either seems very active), but Sox have definitely been in the picture. Hell, it was their United Center presentation that really kicked off offseason mania.

1 hour ago, Roughneck said:

All we've heard on the Sox for the last month was on their pursuit of Machado. I just hope the Sox have been smart and been in constant contact with Harper's people throughout this whole thing, even if it seems like Machado is their top target. If Manny signs elsewhere, they put themselves in a situation where they pretty much have to land Harper.

This bolded portion is exactly why I wouldn't exactly be surprised if they signed Harper. The sox have always worked better in secrecy and their Harper pursuit has been much less public than that of Machado. who knows tho

I don't think the Sox would send Jim Thome to meet with Harper unless they were very much in on him.  They knew what Harper's price would likely be before that meeting.  I'd like to think that the Sox have more respect for Thome than to send him to meet with a guy they have no intention of signing.

Edited by Perfect Vision
  • Like 1

I'd assume the Sox are among the "finalists" here. Whether they get him or not is another thing. 

If I recall correctly, some of the actual respected insiders (or maybe just 1, bucket?) on this board were talking about Harper while we were all focused on Machado. Zigging when everyone thinks we are zagging. Correct me if I am wrong, however, because it has been some time since then and the posts are well buried in threads. 

The Giants don't even make any sense.  Their farm is completely blown up and they have multiple bad, expensive, contracts.  Lefty power hitters also die at Oracle, which would directly effect Harper's next contract.

So they sign him for lets say, 3/120 for a random example.  The Giants are still going to suck and be the 3rd best team in the division with even more money on the books. 0% chance

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils