Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Can we talk about how stupid this quote is:

“Thirty owners need to be answering that because you have one of the best players in the game that needs a job and no one is signing him,” he said. “You’ve got 30 owners who have a sabermetric box that will sign players when they were in that box. They don’t take any intangibles or anything else into play and that’s a sad thing.

They remain unsigned by their own choice. It's not as if no one is offering them a deal, and Wainwright has no idea what they have even been offered so why is he talking as if he knows the interest.

Manny and Bryce aren't unsigned because of sabermetrics. They are unsigned because they want more than what people are willing to offer. It's not about intangibles or any of that nonsense, jaysus.

"No one is signing him" is such a dumb thing to say. As if Manny is shopping around for minor league contract offers or something.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

12 minutes ago, Justinsettle said:

How did the White Sox get used.  Even if that was a known requirement I would expect the Sox to still try to court Harper and give our best and serious offer.  

11 minutes ago, iamshack said:

If anyone is being used, it would be the team the player is supposedly “rounding third base with,” not the team that has scarecely been mentioned.

Sucking up to JR, which Boras did nicely during his Winter Meetings talk. Mentioning Bryce combing through the minor league system. Taking a meeting, something he didn’t allow for ARod.....all with no intention of ever signing with the team, is being used. Asuming Bowden is  accurate. 

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Sucking up to JR, which Boras did nicely during his Winter Meetings talk. Mentioning Bryce combing through the minor league system. Taking a meeting, something he didn’t allow for ARod.....all with no intention of ever signing with the team, is being used. Asuming Bowden is  accurate. 

I don’t know if Bowden is accurate, but Harper signing with another team is no proof of his intentions. 

5 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

Nothing on www.mlbtraderumors.com about Harper even getting on base with the Phillies, much less "rounding third". Giants are signing Cameron Maybin, though.

There is on MLB.com. Says Harper, his wife and Boras have been in Vegas since Monday talking.  If this is how it gets done I say JR and Hahn should board the next flight to Miami, if that is currently where Machado is, and sit down with Manny, his wife and agent and get it done!

1 hour ago, Saufley said:

There is on MLB.com. Says Harper, his wife and Boras have been in Vegas since Monday talking.  If this is how it gets done I say JR and Hahn should board the next flight to Miami, if that is currently where Machado is, and sit down with Manny, his wife and agent and get it done!

The main reason I don't think these guys could hold out until March is because they are holding up so many other players, that Boras and Lozano have to be feeling the heat to wrap this up.

44 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The main reason I don't think these guys could hold out until March is because they are holding up so many other players, that Boras and Lozano have to be feeling the heat to wrap this up.

But sign too low and they affect 100's of future player salaries and their own agent commissions.   

Unless this is just about getting opt outs after 2 or 3 years that nobody other than the Padres or Yankees might be willing to provide.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

But sign too low and they affect 100's of future player salaries and their own agent commissions.   

Unless this is just about getting opt outs after 2 or 3 years that nobody other than the Padres or Yankees might be willing to provide.

Not really though. 

I don't think this market effects the average FA market at all - just the top tier talent market.

I dont see how Boras can have the majority of his clients without a team come March.

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Again, if you go back to my original post, it all has to do with what Bowden said. I have no idea if it is accurate or not. But if it is.....

Bowden will eventually be right, just like others who have had several reports throughout the winter about the premium free agents.

5 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Morosi guessed it would be 10/310 as well just the other day

IF (and a BIG if) he signs for that...White Sox were never serious about Bryce. 10/320 for Sox would be an amazing Harper contract considering his marketability with the new TV deal. I hope JR really was willing to go over 300 for him. Manny though becomes much more reasonable in the 260-275 range if Harper signs first. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

IF (and a BIG if) he signs for that...White Sox were never serious about Bryce. 10/320 for Sox would be an amazing Harper contract considering his marketability with the new TV deal. I hope JR really was willing to go over 300 for him. Manny though becomes much more reasonable in the 260-275 range if Harper signs first. 

IF the Sox get Machado it makes more sense for the team.  Why spend more on the lesser player, by most opinions, when you can get the better player for less money.

It could have gone that the Sox were serious about Harper early on but when the market for Machado turned out to be so low they decided to switch their focus to him.

• Haha 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils