Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils
24 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Anyone believe the Sox are one of these teams? (If those offers really exist)

I do. I really can't see why they wouldn't be involved at the end here. Some people think that the ship sailed on Bryce, but I don't think the Sox would allow any doors to close on any opportunities. And Boras will gladly accept more bidders. 

21 hours ago, pcq said:

Glad we found out where Harper is signing. Now on to Manchado.  

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2019/2/14/18225033/why-scott-boras-should-ultimately-land-bryce-harper-in-philadelphia-phillies-free-agency-hot-stove

There’s no doubt that, in any other normal off-season, the winter that Klentak and Co. has had would be lauded by the fanbase. The Phillies have improved themselves quite a bit with the trades of J.T. Realmuto and Jean Segura, the free agent signings of David Robertson and Andrew McCutchen, and the contract extension to Aaron Nola. The Phils are much better and, as currently constructed, will be a better team in 2019 than they were last year.

But without one of the big fish in the boat, it feels like the entire catch up to this point has been disappointing.

This whole process has become annoying and stressful and taken the joy out of the entire process. Certainly, it’s not the Phillies’ goal to make this whole thing fun for us, their job is to get the player they want at the price they want. Nevertheless, this hasn’t been a joyride, and it has taken the fun out of much of this off-season.

Matt Klentak, with owner John Middleton seated in back of room and with the caveat that #Phillies are very much still in pursuit of Harper & Machado: "The notion that we hear that if we fail to sign a big free agent that it's a failure of an offseason, I don't agree with that."

This is what you would expect Klentak to say, and if one is just talking about year-over-year improvement, he’s right. Adding this caliber of talent and locking up the team’s most important player would be a successful off-season. 

But no Machado and no Harper makes for a crushing disappointment and would, in the eyes of most fans, submarine all the good work that has been done up to this point.

The whole reason Bryce Harper picked Boras to be his agent wasn’t so that Boras could find a nice home on the west coast for Harper to live so that he could be close to his hometown of Las Vegas. Harper didn’t pick Boras so that Boras could work out a cheaper deal for fewer years just so Harper could play in a city he thinks is prettier or has nicer sushi.

The reason a big league ballplayer hires Scott Boras, one who is the face of the sport and is likely setting himself up for the biggest payday of his life, is so that Boras can get that player the most money possible.

Edited by caulfield12

12 hours ago, Princess Dye said:

my buddy found Frank Thomas Jr.'s boarding pass left behind once in the airport and gave it to me since I'm a big fan. It was Las Vegas>Chicago travel

I was actually sitting in an American terminal in Vegas in March and this big guy comes by with like a family of 6 and sits down 2 chairs away... it was Frank and his family. He walked up to the bartender and chatted him up for like 10 mins. was on a first name basis. I believe he lives in Vegas or at least splits his time between the two. You don't get on a first name basis with the bartender if you don't do that flight a ton. Didn't bother him at all, but seemed really cool... I liked that he went up to the bartender and talked to him.. wasn't even ordering a drink, just being nice.

30 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I was actually sitting in an American terminal in Vegas in March and this big guy comes by with like a family of 6 and sits down 2 chairs away... it was Frank and his family. He walked up to the bartender and chatted him up for like 10 mins. was on a first name basis. I believe he lives in Vegas or at least splits his time between the two. You don't get on a first name basis with the bartender if you don't do that flight a ton. Didn't bother him at all, but seemed really cool... I liked that he went up to the bartender and talked to him.. wasn't even ordering a drink, just being nice.

Ive method a couple of times. He is a pretty good guy. He does like to talk.

Edited by ptatc

54 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Big Frank is an amazing guy with fans and the public. He would chat before games for hours here in LA... for literally more than a decade.