Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

Dude I totally agree with you. Harper was the original target. I've always felt that. Harper doesn't want to go to Philly. That's a big thing for him and his wife, where they live. At least in Chicago they can be with the Bryant's. I have a feeling we have quite a chance at getting Harper, more than most sox fans would think.

How are we going to get Harper when they wont even spend $300 mil? Harper will go for even more $$$$.

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

How are we going to get Harper when they wont even spend $300 mil? Harper will go for even more $$$$.

Again, either they were flat out LYING to the fan base about trying to sign these guys, or they were always trying to get both.  It was public knowledge at the start of free agency that Harper turned down 10/300.  That tells any team going to sign him, that is serious about doing so, that's the minimum he would take.  So again, they would have had to know that going in and there's no way they would even have met with him if that wasn't the case.  Unless they were all like, weeeellll he turned down 300, but he'll take our 250, plus options!!!111!1!! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sarava said:

They didn't guarantee 300 mil, but the offer would've been a lot over 300 mil if Machado actually wanted to play for us. It's clear he chose the Padres because he didn't want to play for the Sox. Location probably had a lot to do with it and on top of that, he wanted 300 mil guaranteed. 

2 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Again, either they were flat out LYING to the fan base about trying to sign these guys, or they were always trying to get both.  It was public knowledge at the start of free agency that Harper turned down 10/300.  That tells any team going to sign him, that is serious about doing so, that's the minimum he would take.  So again, they would have had to know that going in and there's no way they would even have met with him if that wasn't the case.  Unless they were all like, weeeellll he turned down 300, but he'll take our 250, plus options!!!111!1!! 

Scott Boras will not turn down meetings with teams trying to sell themselves. Even if that team is not putting a competitive offer on the table, it is negotiating leverage against the teams that are competitive. The Phillies know the White Sox met with him and they know they won't get a substantial discount because there are other teams with interest, so they're going to at least have to pay fair price. (This lesson fell on deaf ears in Chicago). 

2 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Pretty sure that Kenny was lying. Why would he openly tell the media that they will spend 300 million plus when there's other free agents aka Harper, who want 300 million plus? We know the Sox put a lot of effort into Harper. Sending thome to him, the presentation and we have heard they were in constant contact with him and his wife.

1 minute ago, Kpet1010 said:

They didn't guarantee 300 mil, but the offer would've been a lot over 300 mil if Machado actually wanted to play for us. It's clear he chose the Padres because he didn't want to play for the Sox. Location probably had a lot to do with it and on top of that, he wanted 300 mil guaranteed. 

There is literally zero evidence of this. The White Sox have leaked that Lozano gave them a chance to beat the Padres offer, they thought their offer of $250 with 2 option years unlikely to vest was going to be good enough.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is literally zero evidence of this. The White Sox have leaked that Lozano gave them a chance to beat the Padres offer, they thought their offer of $250 with 2 option years unlikely to vest was going to be good enough.

I thought Ken Rosenthal said it would've been well north of 300 million over time with incentives and bonuses, etc? 

On the field performance aside, Manny is a hard guy to like and root for. Maybe the front office never really felt like he would be worth the money, which he was seeking. They may have also worried about whether, or not, he had the discipline and character to be dedicated to the game, for 10 years, once he was guaranteed all of that money. Perhaps they view Harper differently. He is the more likable person and a better "face of the franchise". If they thought they could realistically afford both, now all they have to do is spend enough on one, to get it done. The fact that he doesn't appear to want to go to Philadelphia might provide an opportunity for this organization to redeem itself, with its now disgruntled fans. Just do it!!!

• Love 2

Just now, Lillian said:

On the field performance aside, Manny is a hard guy to like and root for. Maybe the front office never really felt like he would be worth the money, which he was seeking. They may have also worried about whether, or not, he had the discipline and character to be dedicated to the game, for 10 years, once he was guaranteed all of that money. Perhaps they view Harper differently. He is the more likable person and a better "face of the franchise". If they thought they could realistically afford both, now all they have to do is spend enough on one, to get it done. The fact that he doesn't appear to want to go to Philadelphia might provide an opportunity for this organization to redeem itself, with its now disgruntled fans. Just do it!!!

I completely agree with all of this.

5 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

I thought Ken Rosenthal said it would've been well north of 300 million over time with incentives and bonuses, etc? 

They had an offer on the table that was, per the most recent reports, $250 million guaranteed over 8 years, with years 9 and 10 as  $35 million a year vesting options with 550 plate appearances, and no opt out. Unless Machado was still an all star at age 34, he would never see that money, as any smart franchise would platoon him to keep his plate appearances low. Furthermore, the White Sox did not offer an opt out, while the Padres did, so if Machado remains an all star through age 31, the Padres offer will also turn into far more than $300 million over time because he'll hit free agency again at age 31, after the next CBA, with a chance to cash in >$150 million at the time. 

Here's the guarantees: $300/10, with an opt out after 5,

$250/8, with 2 vesting options you're unlikely to receive.

Those offers aren't close. 

• Like 2

I’m sorry but how can you have any faith that Hahn could land Harper even if they wanted to?

they say if you can’t spot the sucker at the table then it’s you, and I think that’s clearly the case with Hahn. He’s way out of his league. The other GMs and agents are playing monkey in the middle with Rick.

20 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

You underestimate Boras. I bet Harper will get $325-350 before it is over which could be as early as tomorrow.  tomorrow. 

Oh he’s easily going to top the 300 mark no doubt, that is the new starting point for Harper now but i doubt its going to be as high as I think he might have initially gotten to if the Sox landed Machado....

if it goes up it won’t be because the Whitesox, that’s for sure, we weren’t going to 300 mil on the player we WANTED let alone our second choice

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I agree with zero of it. It's giving the Sox WAY too much credit. They 100% wanted Manny Machado, he was clearly their #1 target for quite some time. 

They've decided they don't want to play in the world of 2019 contracts, and now Manny Machado plays for the Padres. It's pretty simple and doesn't need a ton of more insight. 

Agreed,that’s some tin foil hat crap. Jay and Alonso is all the proof we need. What a joke FO

I love how Sox and reinsdorf live in this bubble where they think they can force the will of how baseball should operate and anyone should give a shit. 

But Im sure JR is doing his thing where he hamstrings the white Sox so he can play the noble martyr and shame the other owners into putting it in the next CBA that opt outs are illegal.

Just like how we were forced to never go over slot when that wasn’t a thing. No big deal, just completely destroyed our farm for a decade.

• Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Offer Harper 8/280 with swellopts that can make it as much as 10/360. 35 mil a year might be appealing to him and he seems like the type of guy who would thrive in Chicago and bet on himself.

No way he is taking a deal with fewer guaranteed dollars than Manny.  I would bet on that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1