Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

I don't think they wanted Machado as much as they do Harper. They focused on Machado because the entire word from every report was that Machado would sign first. That's why it's played out this way. Remember boras and JR talked and mentioned they still have a decent relationship prior to what people think or say from the past.

Great point. I will actually be very surprised if the Sox do not now aggressively pursue Harper.

Just now, Lillian said:

Great point. I will actually be very surprised if the Sox do not now aggressively pursue Harper.

Apparently the Sox aren't willing to go over 300 million or include opt-outs in their offers. If those things are true, they have no chance at Harper. But I'm hoping the backlash from missing on Machado will cause them to change their minds.   

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Apparently the Sox aren't willing to go over 300 million or include opt-outs in their offers. If those things are true, they have no chance at Harper. But I'm hoping the backlash from missing on Machado will cause them to change their minds.   

Since when do people take Kenny's words as gospel?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kpet1010 said:

I don't think they wanted Machado as much as they do Harper. They focused on Machado because the entire word from every report was that Machado would sign first. That's why it's played out this way. Remember boras and JR talked and mentioned they still have a decent relationship prior to what people think or say from the past.

They have no shot at Harper. They dont do opt outs. What a joke. 

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Why should we assume that the way they approached the Machado negotiations is exactly how they would negotiate for Harper?

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If Rabbit is to be believed; they need to shift and just throw crazy money at Harper.

I’m a bit confused by his quote and what he is trying to say.  What is so crazy about having two different budgets/frameworks for two different players?  And how is that crazier than signing Harper to a record-setting deal?

Harper SHOULD get a record-setting deal and more than Machado as he will be a brand himself that will make whatever team he goes to a ton of money in ticket and merchandise sales and more.  He will earn his contract wherever he goes, on and off the field.

Edited by Machado2Sox

1 minute ago, Machado2Sox said:

I’m a bit confused by his quote and what he is trying to say.  What is so crazy about having two different budgets/frameworks for two different players?  And how is that crazier than signing Harper to a record-setting deal?

He’s not saying two different frameworks. He’s saying JR had a plan/budget in place for getting both guys to sign with us. 

2 minutes ago, Machado2Sox said:

I think he’s saying it’s crazier to think of Jerry having a budget to fit both of them in under more than it is to think of the Sox backing up the trucks to pay Harper a ton of cash 

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

He’s not saying two different frameworks. He’s saying JR had a plan/budget in place for getting both guys to sign with us. 

Ah thanks, I missed the key word “both”.

if this is truly the case, perhaps they have a shot at Harper.  But if they failed at Machado’s eventual price when the Padres paid up, I don’t see things changing when the Phillies inevitably pay up for Harper and it’s a number that is out of the Sox comfort level, just like Machado’s Padres deal.

Edited by Machado2Sox