Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

If I see one post in here about how the national media doesn't take us seriously as a landing spot for Harper (or any other big free agent going forward) and is really butt-hurt by that, I may lose my shit. This whole Machado thing is exactly why we aren't taken seriously. Trying to get star players on below market deals isn't going to work.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Position-wise, Machado was the better fit for this team.  However, I've always thought that Harper was the bigger name, and that signing him would be better for the team.  He would be a franchise-changing player that instantly changes the perspective of the Sox.  Plus, with his power from the left side, he'd be dropping baseballs in the Goose Island all season.

Yeah. Third base will still be a hole for us, but I honestly have high hopes that moncada will really click there. And I know some are not believers in Madrigal...but his glove will be gold glove and his OBP potential is finally the leadoff hitter they need, albeit in 2020 when we are supposed to be contending. The rebuild definitely took a year hit minimum missing on Manny. 

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

One question for the Harper thread.

I don't believe the White Sox organization has any idea what they did to their fanbase yesterday. The only way they actually shut up and pay for Harper, IMO, is if they truly realize that their miss on Machado is a singular event that will do a huge amount of damage to their fanbase. If they understand how many people said "that's it, that's the end of the rope I'm giving them", that might motivate them to take more aggressive actions.

Does anyone see any evidence that they understand the damage they did yesterday? So far it seems the insiders are playing the same game, and we're hearing that the White Sox haven't even been in contact for weeks. The only way that they recover is if their response is one of panic; they realize that even if they're good in a few years, the damage they did right now will leave them no fan base left to return, so they panic right now and offer a professional contract that they would not offer Machado.

Anyone see any evidence they're responding like that? I don't. 

No, these guys are pissed / surprised that Machado took the bigger guarantee & sexier number.  Too consumed by their own disappointment to consider the repercussions this miss will likely have from a fanbase perspective.

16 minutes ago, Orlando said:

You know, this could be nearly as important of a signing to the Phillies as the Sox. They not only went into the off season talking about signing these guys, but they have the "stupid money" quote hanging over their off season.  I wonder if the Sox will step up, but I feel like the Phillies have a lot more to lose.

3 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

I just feel like nobody wants to give bryce the same money machado got. I feel like Harper decision will continue to drag out. 

I don't know.  With Machado signing first for a relatively reasonable price, teams may look to get Harper for a little more.  I could see him signing for 10/$320 or a little more.  Months ago it was widely assumed he'd be getting close to $40M a year on a long term deal.  Now, low $30s per year seems likely.  Question is, who's going to blink first?

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Yeah. Third base will still be a hole for us, but I honestly have high hopes that moncada will really click there. And I know some are not believers in Madrigal...but his glove will be gold glove and his OBP potential is finally the leadoff hitter they need, albeit in 2020 when we are supposed to be contending. The rebuild definitely took a year hit minimum missing on Manny. 

I’m a Madrigal supporter, but this kid really needs to hit his potential if he is going to have any sort of value at the MLB level. If he fails to develop even doubles power, he won’t be much use to the Sox. He doesn’t draw walks, so all his value is literally tied to his batting average. The concerns about him from prospect evaluators are very reasonable. I tend to put more weight into his wrist issues last year than most, so I’m willing to believe we get the player closer to what we are expecting.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Offer Harper 10/326. Beats Stanton's overall guarantee and Machado's AAV. The Sox need a star, Harper likely prefers Chicago to Philly. They are literally perfect fit for each other. The Sox can potentially botch this opportunity twice in one off-season.

not happening. They have already turned the page 

11 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

I just feel like nobody wants to give bryce the same money machado got. I feel like Harper decision will continue to drag out. 

People though machado was not favored in front offices. Harper will get signed for at least 10 for 350

The Sox have more to lose in my opinion. I have no faith that they will make this right but at least Philly has had a phenomenal off season. Segura, Realmuto, Cutch, and locking up Nola makes it a good off season. They can always say they spread their money around. The Sox on the other hand are arguably worse than last year. 

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Offer Harper 10/326. Beats Stanton's overall guarantee and Machado's AAV. The Sox need a star, Harper likely prefers Chicago to Philly. They are literally perfect fit for each other. The Sox can potentially botch this opportunity twice in one off-season.

Harper won’t sign with a rebuilding team though. He wants to win, and right away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

The Sox have more to lose in my opinion. I have no faith that they will make this right but at least Philly has had a phenomenal off season. Segura, Realmuto, Cutch, and locking up Nola makes it a good off season. They can always say they spread their money around. The Sox on the other hand are arguably worse than last year. 

Yep we somehow have spent 40 million and are worse than last year while having less players on the roster that could potentially become core pieces (Avi and Omar).

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

People though machado was not favored in front offices. Harper will get signed for at least 10 for 350

In all fairness , Machado has a better track record than Harper. Harper is more of a marketing tool and even though elite, he still has untapped potential. Maybe 10/310 would work? or offer the same 8/250 with player opts for year 9&10 at 32.5mm a year. opt out after 4 or 5.

Edited by Ben Waffleson

For me, the biggest casualty of losing Machado is watching other teams sign the Grandals and Pollocks while we bungle the whale hunting. We could have dramatically improved this team for years to come for less than it would have cost to add MM but there doesn't seem to be any direction to the rebuild except placate the fans by going through the motions on high profile FAs. I'm guessing the same exercise will repeat itself with Harper.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yep we somehow have spent 40 million and are worse than last year while having less players on the roster that could potentially become core pieces (Avi and Omar).

The Indians should send over flowers.  We are to them what Cincy was to the Dodgers.  We are a clearing house for bad contracts.

• Like 1

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

The Indians should send over flowers.  We are to them what Cincy was to the Dodgers.  We are a clearing house for bad contracts.

Cincy got actual mlb starters and cleared a bad contract of their own.

29 minutes ago, glangon said:

That's assuming Machado was Plan A. If he's Plan B, then that makes sense. I suspect Harper may be Plan A and a larger offer will hit the table now Machado is off the board.

That would be assuming they threw out an inferior offer (esp when contacted by Lozano two nights ago) brought aboard Machados pals, and suggested they were unwilling to go over 300million for Machado.....all for some level of negotiating genius to be unraveled with Harper. One that goes against everything that we just witnessed

Id be more willing to believe all resources were placed with Machado, as the recruiting effort with Jay and Alonso suggested. Now with their failures, Plan C will be formed involving Harper. Plan B was assembling a collection of  tier 2 players and calling it the next step

Edited by Flash Tizzle

They aren't planning to go for Harper at this point and they have made that very clear. The most they will try to do here with Harper is make it look as if they have a seat at the table but they are so out of touch with the public perception of them its all laughable.