Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

4 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

The Padres were a mystery team with Machado for a long time.  Heck, they even visited him and it didn't get reported for a few days after.    

Exactly, they were a mystery team until they took a step forward and met him. Sox may be a mystery team unti they put in an offer; then it will likewise be released in a few days. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Exactly, they were a mystery team until they took a step forward and met him. Sox likewise may be a mystery team unti they put in an offer; then it will likewise be released in a few days. 

That wont happen.  I am convinced KW is the leak to the press.  

9 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

And let's say there's a miracle that we do sign Harper. The FO is going to say he was their number 1 choice all along, and they were hoping to get both Machado and Harper.   

Signing Harper is the one way to redeem this off season.  Hopefully the front office isn't just sitting in an echo chamber today, and realizes that this is a PR disaster for them.

Second, Scott Boras has to be grinning like the Cheshire Cat.  The greatest possible thing to happen was for a team other than Philly or the White Sox to win the Machado sweepstakes.  Now he has two what should be desperate teams in the final bidding for his biggest product.

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

But they believe they gave a better offer to Machado. It clearly wasnt close to the Pad's offer but thats what they believe and think their fan base will believe. 

They unfortunately learned they were wrong. If they signed Harper, a lot of that would go towards an understanding of going outside their comfort zone re: opt outs, AAV, years 

5 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Exactly, they were a mystery team until they took a step forward and met him. Sox likewise may be a mystery team unti they put in an offer; then it will likewise be released in a few days. 

I think the Sox FO will quickly deny the level of interest if a leak happened.  They'll give a generic "who wouldn't be interested in a player like Harper, but we have financial hurdles (complete bs), blah, blah, blah." I believable the Sox leaked information in the Machado saga and that left a bad taste in Lozano's mouth.    

Edited by Peacock Wrestler
added text

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Signing Harper is the one way to redeem this off season.  Hopefully the front office isn't just sitting in an echo chamber today, and realizes that this is a PR disaster for them.

Second, Scott Boras has to be grinning like the Cheshire Cat.  The greatest possible thing to happen was for a team other than Philly or the White Sox to win the Machado sweepstakes.  Now he has two what should be desperate teams in the final bidding for his biggest product.

True story and the fact that Boras is his agent makes me realize deep down that it isn’t happening if the Sox couldn’t work out a deal with Lozano.

Hopefully, the Sox realize that while Harper may or may not be a more productive player statistically than Machado, he will definitely bring back a greater return on investment.  If it’s all about money, here’s your chance to redeem yourselves White Sox.

Edited by Harper2Sox

16 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

The only I hope have is the Sox still met with Harper despite knowing he rejected a $300 million offer from the Nats.

Sox are going to offer 8 years 250 with 2 years that vest for $150mil if Harper has 1,000 abs his final season, so a 10 year $400mil contract.

They will then say their offer was the best offer and be shocked he didnt accept it.

• Haha 1

Just now, Harper2Sox said:

True story and the fact that Boras is his agent makes me realize deep down that it isn’t happening if the Sox couldn’t work out a deal with Lozano.

Hopefully the Sox realize Harper may or may not be a more productive player statistically but he will definitely bring back a greater return on investment than Machado.

I said it in another place, but the Phillies have also struck out on both Corbin and Machado after making their "stupid money" comment coming into this winter.  It will be interesting to see who panics first, though I believe it will be Philly, but quietly hoping it is Jerry.

7 minutes ago, shipps said:

They already stated they could not go to $300 mil. They low balled their top priority. They aren't going to now pivot to someone even more expensive who  wasnt even their top choice. Their actions with how they dealt with Manny speak volumes for now and years to come. This is a bad time to be a Sox fan.  

I understand and appreciate your disappointment, however please consider the following:

1) The front office did not say that they could not go to $300 Million for Harper. That comment was specifically addressing the Machado deal.

2) We do not know that Machado was their "top choice". He may have been the first one with whom they seriously negotiated, but that was likely because it was apparent that Harper would not sign, until after Machado did.

3) They had to have always known that Harper would be the more expensive acquisition. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

They unfortunately learned they were wrong. If they signed Harper, a lot of that would go towards an understanding of going outside their comfort zone re: opt outs, AAV, years 

I can honestly say that I truly don't believe they have learned anything from this. That is why its so disappointing. The truth about who they are and what they are capable of, or the lack thereof, was revealed in this. They aren't going to approach anything different then they ever did before.  

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I said it in another place, but the Phillies have also struck out on both Corbin and Machado after making their "stupid money" comment coming into this winter.  It will be interesting to see who panics first, though I believe it will be Philly, but quietly hoping it is Jerry.

I want Jerry to panic, but not be overly desperate.  I want Harper, but I don't want Reindsorf to give an absurd amount of money now that Harper's price skyrocketed.  

Just now, Lillian said:

I understand and appreciate your disappointment, however please consider the following:

1) The front office did not say that they could not go to $300 Million for Harper. That comment was specifically addressing the Machado deal.

2) We do not know that Machado was their "top choice". He may have been the first one with whom they seriously negotiated, but that was likely because it was apparent that Harper would not sign, until after Machado did.

3) They had to have always known that Harper would be the more expensive acquisition. 

They could have been hoping Machado signed with the Phils, then that would help them with the Bryce negotiations.  Then the Padres happened.  

With Machado off the board and only a few true suitors for Harper, you'd have to think he signs soon, right?  If the front offices of the Phillies and Sox are smart, they are working on deals now, hopefully keeping in mind that guaranteed money speaks loudest.

With two chances at the golden ticket this offseason, we will find out if the Sox were truly serious about spending the money they have available once Harper signs.  Otherwise, it was all lies and more BS from the front office regarding using their resources to build a contender.  Hahn will be dead to me if Harper isn’t in a Sox uniform after all the things he has said the past year.

Edited by Harper2Sox

2 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

I want Jerry to panic, but not be overly desperate.  I want Harper, but I don't want Reindsorf to give an absurd amount of money now that Harper's price skyrocketed.  

I'm fine with them giving an absurd amount.  At this point, it might be the only way to make them relevant the next few years.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Possibly. He could also be hurt by this if Philly plays hard ball. If Harper is down to two teams, Philly and the White Sox, the White Sox all but admitted yesterday they aren't giving Harper 300 million and based on Hahn's comments, i'm not even sure they're at the table anymore (saying that they would use the money on other players this year or in the future...sure seems like this was a one and done chance from Jerry). It's possibly Philly is really the only team still in on Harper, so they could try and low ball him.

This is just so monumentally stupid of the Sox though. Harper isn't the player Machado is but he's way more valuable. The dude immediately puts the Sox on the list of top 5 most interesting/recognizable teams to the national baseball audience. He's going to sell a ton of tickets and ad revenue. Machado doesn't help you with that, even if he is worth a few more wins. I always wanted them to go after Harper more than Machado (but would have been thrilled with either).

1 minute ago, Harper2Sox said:

With two chances at the golden ticket this offseason, we will find out if the Sox were truly serious about spending the money they have available once Harper signs.  Otherwise, it was all lies and BS from the front office.

Your point is well taken and I would agree, unless the final deal for Harper is unreasonable, even by the most extravagant spending standards. If some team, other than the Sox, signs him for 12 years, $450 million, I'm not going to criticize J. R., Hahn or K. W. for not beating the winning bid. Are you?

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I think you're ignoring the exact words Kenny and Hahn said yesterday. They don't have 300 mil guaranteed to offer. I love how fans believe these guys are suave negotiators who play the media perfectly when everything about this organization for my lifetime (3-4 decades) has shown the exact opposite. 

They are not smart. They are not clever. There is no reason to believe they are capable of anything like this.

• Like 2

Do you think Harper gets the same deal that MM just got or does he pass that up?  Something closer to 350$.

It seems like he would pass it if there was more teams bidding, but if it's just Philly and maybe the White Sox, it's hard to see him getting more than MM.

My belief is Harper doesn't want to go to Philly. He and Boras are probably begging for the Sox to pay up. It's odd that after we whiffed on Machado reports came out that Harper is unsure about Philly. Remember guys, early in this process we all believed Harper hated Philly. If we want Harper badly enough we can get him. The problem is our FO in its entirety sucks donkey sack. 

2 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Possibly. He could also be hurt by this if Philly plays hard ball. If Harper is down to two teams, Philly and the White Sox, the White Sox all but admitted yesterday they aren't giving Harper 300 million and based on Hahn's comments, i'm not even sure they're at the table anymore (saying that they would use the money on other players this year or in the future...sure seems like this was a one and done chance from Jerry). It's possibly Philly is really the only team still in on Harper, so they could try and low ball him.

This is just so monumentally stupid of the Sox though. Harper isn't the player Machado is but he's way more valuable. The dude immediately puts the Sox on the list of top 5 most interesting/recognizable teams to the national baseball audience. He's going to sell a ton of tickets and ad revenue. Machado doesn't help you with that, even if he is worth a few more wins. I always wanted them to go after Harper more than Machado (but would have been thrilled with either).

I don't mean to belabor the point, but I'm afraid I must keep reminding everyone that the "Sox did not admit that they aren't giving Harper $300 million". They were addressing the Machado negotiations, not the Harper circumstance.

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Your point is well taken and I would agree, unless the final deal for Harper is unreasonable, even by the most extravagant spending standards. If some team, other than the Sox, signs him for 12 years, $450 million, I'm not going to criticize J. R., Hahn or K. W. for not beating the winning bid. Are you?

No, but somewhere around 10 years and $350 million guaranteed with an opt-out should be pounced on.  Harper will bring the Sox back way more in revenues than Machado would have to make up for the extra $50 million.

Edited by Harper2Sox

Just now, Jenksismyhero said:

I think you're ignoring the exact words Kenny and Hahn said yesterday. They don't have 300 mil guaranteed to offer. I love how fans believe these guys are suave negotiators who play the media perfectly when everything about this organization for my lifetime (3-4 decades) has shown the exact opposite. 

They are not smart. They are not clever. There is no reason to believe they are capable of anything like this.

A lot of what was said yesterday was based off pure emotion.  We've all had a night to sleep on it and I guarantee there have been discussions internally about how they can fix this, even if it means willing to spend more money.   I don't think they will, but who knows what's going on in the FO now.  

2 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

Kenny said this, Hahn said money was no object. They grab our balls and squeeze and tell us it was that hot model of our dreams.