Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Just now, Jenksismyhero said:

They had "interest" insomuch as they had hope they could sign both for cheap deals because of the alleged depressed market. Of course, the market ended up being right where everyone thought it would be from the beginning.

Honestly it was still somewhat depressed. $300 was at the low end of people's guesses. No one really thought it would honestly go below that at the start of the offseason,  but people thought $400 for Harper and $350 for Machado could be plausible. 

I looked at the Giants payroll and luxury tax numbers last week (or two weeks ago) and it looked like if they cleared a couple salaries (2 of a couple relievers and Panik), they could afford Bryce for about $35 mill AAV and stay under the luxury tax threshold. And the site I was on included the $14m in benefits in each number.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly it was still somewhat depressed. $300 was at the low end of people's guesses. No one really thought it would honestly go below that at the start of the offseason,  but people thought $400 for Harper and $350 for Machado could be plausible. 

I thought machado could go for 280 but you are right 10 for 300 i figured was the starting point.

There was a point on this board where I would say everyone would have been on board for 10/330 for machado and even 10/380 for harper.

15 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

You don't honestly believe they sit around and read Twitter do you? They couldn't care less what the reaction is. This is a FO that has continually and repeatedly disappointed their fans and have shown zero remorse for it. 

I can tell you with 100% certainty the Sox have people in the front office that monitor twitter and message boards.  Its probably not Rick and KW, but they have people who report to Rick and KW that do.  

I actually agree with phil rogers on that. At this point losing those guys after 3 years is not as bad as striking out on both this time.

edit: lol just remembering when my biggest fear was how early the opt out would be haha. I thought we would pay more to get a later opt out hahahahahahaha oh man.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I actually agree with phil rogers on that. At this point losing those guys after 3 years is not as bad as striking out on both this time.

I think we all do, but I kind of believe Nightengale that the Sox are out on Harper. I will continue to reiterate that if they weren't willing to go to $300M on either player, they were never serious to begin with. It seems like they were never serious to begin with. They lied through their teeth to the fans. Good luck recovering from that. 

1 minute ago, nitetrain8601 said:

What they say?

Phillips basically said if Manny is willing to commit 2 of his front end peak years to a bad team we should be able to commit 2 years to him on the back end when he's not great anymore.

Edited by bschmaranz
  • Thanks 3

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

Knowing them.  Probably Eloy. 

That would be sooooo funny. I'm rooting for this FO to continue to make fools of themselves in any way possible. If they're going to fail, I want them to go down spectacularly. 

Sox are the laughingstock of Baseball currently, and it isn't particularly close. 

So the report of the Sox not believing in opt outs is b.s. it came from Bruce Levine.
Also there's this.

Frank Thomas, Belle, Alexei Ramirez and Jose Abreu have all had contracts woth the Sox that included opt outs.  Opt outs are not against Sox policy.

Credit to Kendell litwin on white Sox premium Facebook page, but this is true. Stop saying they won't offer opt outs 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

So Fegan referenced that Hahn was having trade discussions with the Giants GM yesterday.  Looking at that roster, I'm not even sure who the Sox would be interested in?  Knowing how this offseason has gone, he's probably just helping the Giants clear money to sign Bryce.

I would guess Panik 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That would be sooooo funny. I'm rooting for this FO to continue to make fools of themselves in any way possible. If they're going to fail, I want them to go down spectacularly. 

Sox are the laughingstock of Baseball currently, and it isn't particularly close. 

Idk, the Marlins still exist. But we're sure getting close.

If the Sox aren't willing to offer an opt out, then it's totally fair to question their intelligence.

When Manny can exercise his opt out, he'll be entering his age 31 season with an existing deal of 5/150.  Would he get more than that on the open market?  It's possible, but I highly doubt it.  Chances seem low to me that that opt out will be exercised, so the Padres don't lose anything by adding it to the deal (or it least have made a smart, calculated low-risk concession).

Even if you have to give an opt out to Harper after 3 or 4 years, if the total deal is something like 10/350, there's a good chance it's not exercised.  And if it is exercised, it's probably because the Sox have continued to be a poor baseball team, in which...............the team should want Harper to exercise the opt out so they can move on.

Edited by Perfect Vision
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I can tell you with 100% certainty the Sox have people in the front office that monitor twitter and message boards.  Its probably not Rick and KW, but they have people who report to Rick and KW that do.  

They've been deaf to fans complaints for years, so my point remains: they couldn't care less about any "fall out." They're not waking  up this morning with a sense of urgency to save the off season by signing Harper.

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

If the Sox aren't willing to offer an opt out, then it's totally fair to question their intelligence.

When Manny can exercise his opt out, he'll be entering his age 31 season with an existing deal of 5/150.  Would he get more than that on the open market?  It's possible, but I highly doubt it.  Chances seem low to me that that opt out will be exercised, so the Phillies don't lose anything by adding it to the deal (or it least have made a smart, calculated low-risk concession).

Even if you have to give an opt out to Harper after 3 or 4 years, if the total deal is something like 10/350, there's a good chance it's not exercised.  And if it is exercised, it's probably because the Sox have continued to be a poor baseball team, in which...............the team should want Harper to exercise the opt out so they can move on.

It makes no sense. They are so concerned with years 9 and 10. Years 6,7,8 may be declining as well. He could do you a favor opting out. Albert Belle did them the solid.